Used 2003 Honda S2000 Convertible Consumer Reviews

$17,995

Used S2000 for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

A real sports car!

9000lover, 12/08/2012

I went to market to buy a real sports car. I test drove Porche, Audi, BMW, Lotus, Fiat and Mercedes. I was set to buy a Boxter when our Motoring writer for the newspaper I manage said to me "have you tested a S2000"? I tried one and was hooked. I guess everyone has a different take on what makes a great roadster but the S2000 ticked all the boxes compared to the others. Amazing engine and transmission was a great start nothing else compared to the driving experiance here. The handling is good but will catch inexperianced drivers out who push it to the limits compared to the Porsche which was idiot proof in this area. Overall though the combination of drive, reliability and sheer fun wins!

Uh, Hello Mr. Eddie Pryor...

Helios, 04/03/2003

It's nice that you like your S2000, but you might want to know just why the car is so exceptional. Honda built the S2000 as a 50th anniversary present to itself to commemorate its Formula One racing heritage. They've always been the best at squeezing maximum performance from small (i.e. light) engines -- so no, a "supercharged V6 or V8" was never part of the plan. Believe me, Honda knew what it wanted: they're the world's largest manufacturer of engines. P.S.: if you can't drive it fast, give it to me!

Not for everyone, but it is for me!

revs29, 12/12/2011

I have wanted an S2000 for several years and finally purchased one last spring. Owning the car is a little different than I had imagined, but not in a bad way. PROS: the car is absolutely thrilling, extremely direct/controllable with a perfect transmission and exciting 9000RPM engine. Great MPG (25-28), outstanding handling, very fun and agile. Makes every shopping trip feel like an adventure. It is a very special, hand built car and feels like it through and through. CONS: Terrible highway car - loud, obnoxious and buzzy. Very tight on the inside, feels great on a curvy road but not on the freeway. Burns 1qt oil/1.5k mi, but I drive it hard.

Not Your Mom's Honda

SomeHondaGuy, 04/13/2006

Get in the car and sit in the comfy seats bolstered just enough to hold you while you pull .94 G's but still comfy enough for long trips and press the start button. Bring the top down and go. Just starting it up is fun, you floor it down the street and before you know it you're at 60 mph. The lack of low end torque makes you think an then you hit 6000 rpms and you feel like youre in a F1 car, you're ready to shift when you realize you still have another 3000 rpms till the 9000 rpm redline comes up. I own an 04 M3 an a Lotus Elise and this is by far one of hte most fun cars Ive ever driven, for 31K it doesn't get much better than this.

bullet proof and drives like one too

sd, 08/26/2008

Had car now driven in every road condition the tcs is awesome you can spin the car in a tight circle or slide into a parking spot. You really have to learn to drive the short box tranny I rarely use 6th gear. I keep it at 4500 rpm at all times you will forget about the sorry low end power. Vtec is to be used with gas pedal completely engaged and completely engage it again when you hit 9250 to shift it has enough power then. No need for mods Honda did good on this one. I owned a 2003 mustang cobra and I like the s2000 a whole lot more.

Street legal go-kart

Jacques79, 02/18/2007

This is my 2nd S2000 and it's just as reliable as my first. (It was a 2002) I drive it hard every day and it's still as tight as ever. The super quick steering (13.8:1) and driving position along with the best transmission feel in any manual production car make this quite the impressive ride. Under 6000 RPM it's perfectly fine around town and to get the acceleration you just need to use the delicious transmission. Every thing is tightly screwed together, the top never leaks, the car feels very stiff, especially for a convertible. Brake pedal feel is firm and the stopping distances are excellent. This car doesn't need VSA: it's called your right foot and steering wheel!

Extended the lease

DaDeacon's, 02/28/2007

Hot wheel stickers are on the rockers in front of the back wheel because it's Yellow and Hot. I've driven this roadster for 4yrs and yes in the snow too! If the snow isn't too deep it goes like a 4x4. This yeller car is the most fun I've had driving. Having driven everything else that goes fast this car is an everyday rush! 55000 miles and no problems. The most "attracting" car to the public that I have ever owned. The engine is bullet proof and 70 mph is all I have ever taken it to. It corners like a yellow Twinkie on rails. I personally think it's powerful enough and boogies when I wind her up. I told myself to never fall in love with my cars but this love is a marriage made in heaven!

S2000 best sports car for price

DEB, 09/10/2007

The S2000 has high horsepower, beautiful style, classy, and hugs the road. Push button start, fun to drive, top always down unless it is raining or freezing cold.

A 30K toy and worth every penny.

koshiro, 02/06/2003

It's been correctly quoted as the poor man's Ferrari 360 Spider. Captivating engine scream, wind in your hair, and begs for more spirited driving. (Resulting in a high insurrance rating). You must decide first that a 2 seater is practical enough for you. After that, this is the best 30K gift you can give your self. Noise, vibration, and harshness is actually better than my old Corolla. Harsh bumps only occur over very poorly maintained roads. I spoiled my self silly on this one. I'm the happiest 'kid' alive. 'The quality of life is measured by how many times the soul has been deeply stirred' - Sichiro Honda

there are much better cars out there

HondaMan, 12/03/2002

I have always owned Honda's. I wish I hadnt got this one. I had a flat, and the tire wont fit in the back. All the power is at the very high RPM bands. it is cramped inside. There is no low end torque to speak of. Man what a waste.

Not a great daily driver

Sean , 10/29/2008

I bought this car in October last year after test driving a couple and falling in love. Bottom line this is a very stiff car that is noisy and not a lot of fun to take on trips much over an hour. It performs well for a stock car, but isn't overly fast in a straight line. It does have a good suspension, but the stock tires are expensive and downright scary in the rain. This has been relegated to a garage queen that I only take out when the top can go down. If you can afford a fun weekend car, it's great. For daily life, I found it unbearable.

Excellent Roadster

alangc, 01/02/2008

This car is for those who like to drive performance cars. It is not a weekend roadster or a commuter car. It is built for one purpose only and that is for cornering and high speed.

service of honda is very poor

kay, 12/04/2003

i love the car..i get many compliments on it.after all they only make 5000 of them a year and people dont really know what kind of car it is..but the motor blew at 4k miles and honda did not want to warranty it..the dealer ships were very poor on fixing things and three times i brought it in for service..they damaged my car...from the bumper to the fender to the front lip spoiler..bronx honda...and curry honda..the best service i ever gotten is rushneck honda in tarrytown...and honda told me that they did not want to warranty the blown motor..

No torque, no facotry rim options.....

VsPeC, 11/10/2002

This car has no torque, who is willing to rev the car to 7000 rpm everyday just to get the horsepower and torque of a V6? Consistent high revs will lessen the life of the engine. Have no idea why Honda would do this. High horsepower is nice, but torque is nicer.

My dream car

geppetto, 07/25/2003

This car is amazing! It is a little tiresome in stop and go traffic, but when you hit open road it is the best. I absolutely love when the VTEC kicks in and you get thrown back into your seats. The screaming engine at 9000 rpms will take your breath away.

TOP JAPANESE ROADSTER

NINO, 08/06/2003

EXCELLANT HANDLING AND GREAT POWER IN A FOUR CYLIDER. FUN IN THE MOUNTAINS

Uncomfortable, noisy, slow.

CyberS2k, 08/25/2003

The title sums it up. It's just all flash. Noisy but no bang. This should be a $15k car, more a miata clone. In the past year of owning this car everything has had major problems. I'm on my 3rd clutch, it drinks oil not gas, the paint in chipping\fading in many places and the engine already has trouble starting!

Love my S2000

Goldenca, 08/07/2003

An all around fun car to drive.

WOW!

gr8fun1, 11/14/2003

Hot out of the hole or when you're already doing 65 on the highway. Excellent responsiveness on straightaways and killer curves. All the compliments from lookers are killing me:)

Sweet Ride

I.Buzz, 11/30/2003

This car is a head turner...looks good standing still....even better going zero to 60 in no time flat! Quick shifts. Just wait until it really kicks in at 6500RPMs.

clutch @ 11400

ibis49, 12/01/2003

I have 11400 miles on this vehicle and the clutch is sliping to the point the car is not drivable. Honda is saying it is normal wear and tear to have this problem. They are charging me $1,025.00 to put in a new clutch as they will not cover it under warranty as a defect. In 35 years of driving, I have never had a clutch go out in 11000 miles. As far as i am concerned Honda is not living up to its hyped up reputation. I am selling the vehicle and buying one that I can drive and have a company stand behind it's product. Randy pope

S2000

wheels, 12/29/2007

This is my SECOND 2003 S2000, and it's flawless like the first! It's a blast to drive, top up or down. It always draws attention.

Still strong after 6 years!

Dave Lucas, 07/30/2009

I have liked the S2000 since I first saw it, prior to the first sell. It has pleasing, timeless lines and handles quite well. In fact, when I drive other cars for short periods, then get back to the S2000 - that is when I really appreciate how it handles. True, the car is not for everyone, but that is what I tried to avoid in the first place (a vanilla car). I look forward to having this car for another 10+ years - may be get a nice paint job when it starts to show its age!

Fun-Factor

rich, 05/29/2010

This car is an absolute pleasure to drive everyday. The handling is razor- sharp and predictable. The engine is great, not a lot of torque but the gearing is great so its not as noticeable. I personally think it is a very comfortable ride. I've driven tuned s13's and supra's and this car is every bit as fun. If you're looking for balance this is the car to own. Almost perfect from the factory, and the car is absolutely beautiful.

the best damn car on tha planet

jeaser, 10/17/2002

this vehicle is the most smoothest running honda ever produced with a slick style and high performance, i give it a perfe

BALANCING ACT

Sophisticated Driver, 10/17/2002

In low RPM, the S2000 drives like a normal car. Select a lower gear and press the gas pedal, a smile will come upon your face. It doesn't get better than this!

BEST CAR EVER BOUGHT

MikeE, 10/19/2002

What other car do you know which an electronic control panel that redlines at 8300 rpms? When you get to 7000 rpms and you feel the VTEC kick in, this car makes you feel like the pilot of an F- 15 fighter plane, the interior helps too. Everything you need to control is right at reach. The only problem I had was with my 2000 S2000 it doesn't have the option of coming with a clock, and the plastic back windshield that turns white. But that has all changed for 2002 with the addition of a clock and a glass back windshield. I get 31 mpg on average and am still putting out 280 horse! (with some mods of course)The car even has stock headers that are massive.

I love this car

nick7, 10/30/2002

I love this sports car

best money i ever spent for a car

rudy, 11/14/2002

i get a smile every time i get into this car, after that my smile gets bigger! i've owned an MG years ago and this is way better. This car will scare most people before it gives and when it does it does gently. I drive it like a madman and my wife can drive it and be cool, its a wonderful machine!!

dream machine

Jonathan Powers , 11/15/2002

the handling can only be described as awesome. know the limit of your self and the car. no traction control makes this car a true drivers car the skills are put into your hands. the 6 speed manual gear box if crisp and precise. the gears shift effortlessly because of the close ratio gearbox. with the top down or up this car is a dream to drive. but when you have the top down is when it really shines. throw the car into a turn and it throws it back at you with no problem.

Like a motorcycle with 4 tires...

BarryO, 12/06/2002

I've had my S2000 for a bit more than 5 months. The vehicle has been very enjoyable in most areas: The finest 4- Cylinder motor on the planet, great 6- speed shifter, excellent handling. Gas mileage has been between fantastic, between 27 - 29 MPG. Issues? Storage space is a joke (no glovebox...and the storage space between the seats is difficult to get to while driving), and legroom is tight (I'm 6'1"). In the end, there's nothing that really competes with it @ the price: Not the Miata, not the Mustang, not the TT. The Z3 / Z4 are more expensive.

S2000 makes the heart throb

s2000, 12/10/2002

For the comparatively small amount of money, this rocket brings a lot of excitement. It is an extremely fast car for a 4 cylinder: the 9000 RPM redline is atrocious. I’ve hit it a few times and it’s quite an experience. It’s a very light car so the acceleration gets the heart pumping fast. It is kind of like strapping a rocket between your legs. You get the sound, acceleration, and feel of doing so. On dry days, it grips the road like glue. Shifting and steering are superb. It’s a loud car, so if your looking for peace and quite, buy a Buick.

what a car

bobby hull, 12/10/2002

Let me tell you i have had alot of sports cars in my day hell i used to have a miata collectors edition that thing was alright not much power but nice looking but after i got this s2000 it just rocks my world for it's price. It also take corners very well nothing i could normally do with any other vehicle with that price.

perfect

chile1955, 12/12/2002

I am more in love with this car every time I drive it .The way it performs in all repects in unbelievable.

S2k

S2K, 12/12/2002

Wonderful car, consider I drive over 35,000 miles per year. It does have a rather harsh ride, compare to my old Prelude and Integra GSR. Nevery the less, it is a beautiful machine. If paying cash for the car, should look into a low mile used NSX.

Sweet Ride!!

grayday, 12/15/2002

I've had my '02 S2K for about a month now and I can't say enough good things about it! I love the 240hp/4 cyl combo. It did take me a couple days to learn how to drive it the way it was intended. It took some getting used to due to the "rev" factor. Although the radio has often been called "weak", I find it sufficient with the top up or down...or you could turn it off and just humm to the exhaust note! This car is not for everyone as the ride is very stiff and the interior is not as plush as say the Audi TT's. However, for those looking for something different and edgy or if you want to feel like a Formula One driver, this is the car for you!

impulse buy

Hondarific, 12/14/2002

After owning this car for a month I have to say.....I wish I would have waited. All the power is @ the high RPM bands which is great for highways and wide open roads but for day to day use in real world situations it leaves a lot to be desired. Another thing worth mentioning is that I had to have my wife take a cab when we got a flat tire because the damaged tire had to ride shotgun.

Road Rocket

g-man, 12/17/2002

Bought this car in Chicago and drove it home to Texas. The tight suspension flattens out on the road. The handling is excellent and when you hit the power zone 5500 and up, it feels like a turbo is kicking in. For the price this is undoubtedly the best sports car for the money. On the way home had the pleasure to hook up with a Porsche Boxter. We played with each other for a while and then went to it. This little Road Rocket walked away from the Boxter. We backed off well over 100 (130 speedometer) with plenty off pedal left. Sometimes I need to remind myself it's a Honda!

Best car I've ever owned!!!

Maje, 12/19/2002

this is what driving is all about! Forget about the TT, the Z3, the miata, the boxter....they just don't match up. The S2K will blow their doors off!!!!

Awesome car

s2k, 12/28/2002

This car catches people's attention. Once you get past the break-in period and are able to take the car through the entire RPM band, the car is so much fun to drive. The sound from the exhaust is better appreciated with the top down and the car handles incredibly

Best sport car out there

jacob marley, 01/04/2003

This is an outstanding car. Imagine driving at 90 miles an hour w/ the wind in your hair and your girl sittin' next to you. Buying this car will be the best desition you've ever made.

driving is believing

nates s2000, 01/04/2003

For the ones which criticise one of the ultimate convertible roadsters of all time because its too load or not enough room.This is definetly not the car for you!This is a machine built for the consumer that understands that this 2 litre motor 4cyl.produces more hp per litre hp than any other car built!My previous car was an 1995 m3 I would have never thought of owning a honda s2000 which i had criticed before now I regret because once I drove I was hooked aswell.This is the funnest most exhilerating car under $35K that I have ever driven even compared to the massive 3.5 litre 350z I chose the s2000 for a second car to have could not be more satisfied.

Not your father's Honda!

Top Banana, 01/06/2003

Just starting to go through a mid-life crisis, I felt I needed something to help me with the problem. The S-2000 was it. Good , clean and sexy lines, a nice tight interior. The handling is wonderful. Acceleration is powerful. Even after 3 years of production I still get the looks and stares when I drive by. The car has never seen rain. Is garage kept and stored in the winter. Mileage is low as the time I have to drive it is short. But when the weather and traffic are right...nothing comes close to the thrill. And yes Margaret, it's a HONDA!

kick some german axx

spitfire, 01/17/2003

this is an amazing street legal race car. plunge the gas padle and drop your clutch, the roar from the exhaust will make you believe you are in a rocket, a topless one. steering is perfect, handling is precise, braking is stable and powerful to say the least. this is one car that has all the major components perfectly orchestrated each time you sit behind the wheel. there is simply no better sports car one can buy for $35K.

Best Package

Jsherm, 01/14/2003

For under $35k you will not find a better performance car for the money. I challenge anyone to find a car that will do sub 5.5 sec 0-60 for this price. There are many cars out there that will do this for $70k or $125k, but not $33k. Some complain about the torque on the car, but honestly, if the car does 0-60 in 5.5sec, there is enough torque there, whether the number is high or not is not the issue. Some people do not get it, you can have a car with extreme torque that takes 7 seconds to get to 60mph.

s2000 review

sdavid, 01/21/2003

the best performance car value on the road today, bar none

The Perfect Fit

Deutche Ecke, 01/22/2003

ISO: -small -sporty -convertible -decent power -good handling -reasonable price -trunk space -reliability Looked at a lot of cars. Only one fit. After 3 months behind the wheel, I am still thrilled! Styling? It is not eye candy but not an eyesore. Low torque? As an autobahn driver, this car gives a spirited driving experience. Tight fit? Like a comfortable pair of jeans.

Great Bang For The Buck

Durty Sanchez, 01/24/2003

Get over it HondaMan. So you hit something and blew the tire, that's not the car's fault!!! This car has amazing performance for the price, blew the doors off of my friends Boxster that comes with a sticker that's $10k higher!!

Fun Car

Renae, 01/31/2003

This is a great car. Everytime I drive it I have a big smile on my face. I waited eight months to buy it and I have never once had a second thought about the choice.

best sports car aroud

min, 02/01/2003

The s2000 is the best sports car under 40 grand. This honda smokes the z3, audi tt, z4, miata, porsche boxster (over $50,000 and a $33,000 car smokes it)all in all honda out worked themselves with this 240hp, 0-60 in aprox. 5.2 seconds almost reaching the 911 porsche.

51050