Used 2018 Honda Ridgeline Crew Cab Consumer Reviews

Used Ridgeline for Sale
Select your model:
12345...8

Pros
Cons

Honda gets it right!

Dan Wells, 09/25/2017
RTL-E 4dr Crew Cab AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After much deliberation and some arm twisting by my wife I purchased a White Diamond Pearl RTL-E. I have owned a lot of trucks in the past: a Ford Ranger, 2 Mazdas, an F150 and 4 Tundras. The Ridgeline by far is the nicest truck I've owned. The Ranger and Mazdas were underwhelming to say the least whereas the F150 and Tundras were way more truck than I needed. Like most truck owners 95% of the time my truck is used just like a car, as a mode of transportation. The other 5% of the time it's used to haul mulch, appliances, furniture, tow a utility trailer with a zero turn mower and about 4 times a year it's called on to tow our 4500# camper. Like most people I don't do any serious off roading, rock crawling or mogul jumping. Honda is the only manufacturer that has its priorities right in building the Ridgeline. They built a vehicle that guys (and gals) like me "need" first of all and then did a great job of giving us a few things we want. I "need" a truck that's easy to get in and out of (I'm 65), gets decent gas mileage, is relatively easy to maneuver and park, does not swallow my garage, can haul a decent amount of stuff and most importantly can tow close to 5,000#s. The Ridgeline is the only truck that checks all those "need" boxes. My last truck, a Tundra, only checked the last 2. It was a great truck but way more truck than I needed. While Honda was at it they gave owners a few wants: a car like ride, an awesome sounding audio system, a super quiet ride and most of all great reliability. My biggest concern is its ability to tow my Jayco X18D camper. The Tundra did a great job, no question about that. With the same brake controller and weight distribution hitch, the Ridgeline does exceedingly well. And amazingly with the camper hooked up the rear of the Ridgeline only squats a half an inch! The Tundra squatted an inch and a half. I am certain Honda has "overbuilt" this truck to cope with a 5,000# trailer, camper, boat etc. I believe they have settled on that tow limit for liability reasons and not on the Ridgeline's actual towing ability. According to the sticker on the hitch the truck is rated for a 600# max hitch weight. Hitch weights are always rated at 10% of the max towing ability, thus I'm sure the Ridgeline could safely tow 6,000#s. And as a daily driver the Ridgeline really shines. We recently took a vacation from Ohio to Florida and averaged 26mpg. Way better than the Tundras 17-18. The ride is so smooth and quiet that it truly is on par with, if not exceeds our '14 Lexus GS350. For a truck it's simply amazing. Thanks Honda for building a truck, that if most truck owners were honest, would admit it's all the truck they "need." Update 3/24/18: my Ridgeline is everything I hoped it would be and more. Although I still haven't warmed up to the looks, especially the Pilotesque appearance of the front end, the truck (yes it's a truck) does everything I demand of it very well. We have since sold our Lexus as I prefer taking the Ridgeline if we travel any distance because the seating position is more comfortable to me and the mpg is the same. It also has more safety technology like lane departure warning, lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control and automatic bright lights...and I love Apple Car Play. I have 7,000 miles on the truck and outside of the tailgate occasionally sticking when I try to drop it, I have not had any issues. I foresee long term ownership of my Ridgeline unless Honda decides to differentiate the looks from the Pilot and make it tougher looking. Then I may just buy another.

Tacoma killer

C parker, 06/08/2018
RTL-T 4dr Crew Cab AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Hands down best driving truck or car I've owned. My Last Tacoma rode like short bed jeep and terrible gas mileage. Getting 23 in town and solid 28 hwy. Not bad awd truck. This blows my Tacoma TRD 4wl out of the water. Just don't take ridgeline true off Rd. Not much clearance, and I can't find engine skid plate yet, it needs one.

2018 Black Edition

OlMnRvr, 10/17/2017
Black Edition 4dr Crew Cab AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I drove Chevy, Ford, and Dodge pickups before the Honda. The Honda Ridgeline fit the needs of our family better than the others. The ride is better than any vehicle I've owned or test drove. The 6 cylinder offers great acceleration as well as a 5000 pound towing capacity which is more than I'll ever need. The heated leather seats adjust to any position I need and I can preset my own adjustment as well as one for my wife. The rear seats will accommodate average sized people with no problem and if necessary a 6+ footer could fit. It would be nice if the rear doors would open wider however. The lockable waterproof trunk in the floor of the truck bed provides exceptional space and the dual action tailgate should be an industry standard. The tech stuff on this vehicle is fantastic and will help make me a safer driver. The biggest bonus with this truck is the MPG. Previous reviews I read said the gas mileage was in the low 20's but I've found that by driving the speed limit with the ECON button on I've averaging over 30 mpg on the highway (highest was 33.8) and about 26 mpg in town. I could not be more pleased with the Black Edition Honda Ridgeline and would recommend this truck to anyone.

If a Ford F150 and a Honda Accord had a baby....

Jeff Behm, 11/29/2017
RTL-E 4dr Crew Cab AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

...it would be like this. Overall, the 2018 Ridgeline is an excellent utility vehicle. Let's say you need something more versatile than a typical SUV, but you don't really need a full-on, full-size pickup truck. The Ridgeline may be your perfect choice, as it was for me. I can carry sheets of plywood in the bed, my dog in the crew cab area (comfortably & safely) and the front seat area is very roomy and comfortable. Plus, this "truck" rides and handles way better than any full size pickup I've driven. It handles & drives pretty much like a larger Accord -- which is to say -- really well. So far I am averaging about 23 mpg on regular gas, but my previous experience with Hondas ( 6 of them) tells me that after break-in, the gas mileage should rise about 10 to 15 %. On the highway, I've gotten 25.5 with the Eco button on. I just LOVE the lockable, HUGE trunk in the rear of the bed. It's so useful! Gripes? Although the engine has plenty of power, you really have to boot the accelerator to access that power. Not much down low. The lack of a volume knob on the infotainment system is just plain dumb. The touchscreen does not react fast enough, and can be distracting while driving. Honda needs to bring back the volume knob and tuning knob. The infotainment set up on current Mazda's (like my 2017 CX-5) is much better & easier to use. Also the paint job on the vehicle is very mediocre, and not what it should be on a $40K vehicle. Doesn't really have too much shine or depth to it. Paint on current Mazda's & Nissans is MUCH nicer. Finally, I had a serious airbag safety system failure, just ninety minutes into owning the vehicle. Luckily, my originating Honda dealer and my local Honda dealer were wonderful in helping me, but it took a week to fix the vehicle and in the meantime Honda of America was no help at all. Very disappointing. Finally, they came through, but it was really my two dealers that I worked with who saved the day.

this is not a cold climate vehicle-

Ron, 01/13/2018
RTL-T 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

HEATING PROBLEM HAS NOT CHANGED--DEALER SAYS LIVE WITH IT --AS THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN OR WILL DO. If you live and drive this ridgeline in a cold climate--I live in North Dakota--stay away from this vehicle. If you are driving at any rpm above 1500 the heater is ok. If you try to warm up this vehicle at idle or just above idle--there is almost no heat. I have spoken to my service manager about the problem--he said they have had numerous complaints about the problem and his field man tells him Honda is working on the problem. I then contacted Honda customer service--their response was the engine was designed for quick cooling as it is aluminum block and head-- and probably will not heat at an idle or low rpm. The person I spoke to pretty much said to live with it. I have had a total of 5 Honda vehicles thus far and have never had any issues like this one. I told the rep that I now have a $42000 fridge. They also have a automatic start factory installed that is supposed to heat up the vehicle--to no avail because it is at idle rpm and does not get warm. Beware if you live in a cold climate.

Made the right dicision

Le, 11/23/2017
RTL-E 4dr Crew Cab AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I weighted between the 2017 Tacoma and the Ridgeline. Test drive both then decided to get the Ridgeline. After driving almost 1200 miles, I feel I made the right choice. The MPG is good. On the way to work, I drive 16 freeway miles + 4 city miles, I got between 27 - 30 mpg. After almost 1200 miles, the average MPG is 23.4 with lots of city mile. The truck is very comfortable, and quiet. It is like driving the suv, not the truck. It is the truck I want, good for every day commute, and it can tow stuffs when I need it. There are some features I dont think as good as I want but overall, it is an excellent truck.

Ragtime

Stephen Zimney, 12/19/2017
RTL-E 4dr Crew Cab AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

On November 17, 2017 we purchased from Buerkle Honda a new 2018 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, VIN 5FPYK3F75JB007572 for a cash price of $42,560.00. The truck is for my wife replacing a 2007 Ridgeline that she drove. I was the one to drive it off the lot. We got to the freeway and as soon as our speed reached 45 mph, I could hear air noise from the driver’s side front window. It was as though the window was open a crack. I called the dealer and made an appointment with their warranty manager. We took the vehicle back to Buerkle on November 24, 2017. A technician test drove it. He also heard the air noise. They took the vehicle into the shop. They came and told us that they thought it was a trim on the door causing the problem. They replaced a trim panel on the driver’s side door. We drove the vehicle and it appeared that the noise was gone. We left the dealer but by the time we arrived home, the noise was back. My wife drove the vehicle back and forth to work the next week. Each day she complained about the noise. Now the air noise started at very low speeds. I purchased a sound meter and did testing. Then I called Buerkle and made another appointment with the warranty manager. I took the vehicle in on December 12, 2017. A technician test drove the vehicle and confirmed he could still hear the noise. They took the vehicle into the shop. My wife and I and our granddaughter waited in the lounge area. About two hours later, they came and asked us to go for a test drive. My wife went for a drive while I stayed with our granddaughter. Later the technician came back with my wife. He told us that the noise was inherent in the vehicle. They had gotten complaints from other customers about the noise. He let my wife drive another new Ridgeline and she could hear noise in that one also. The technician said there was nothing they could do. He said we might try writing to Honda. I guess this the new standard for Honda Engineering and workmanship. Let the customer stuff rags in the areas where there is wind noise. I wrote a lot of letters to Honda and to others which I copied Honda on. I received a telephone call from North American Honda on 1-8-2018 at 1:16 p.pm Central Standard Time. The caller acknowledged receiving my letters. He said my issue was with Honda. He said "North American Honda does not warranty bad design and poor engineering". The air conditioning did not work on the vehicle when we first tried to use it. It was taken back to the dealer and repaired. One can drive the truck down a flat, smooth, dry, paved road at 55 mph and suddenly a big flashing warning comes "BRAKE". I took it back to the dealer and they could find nothing. It is still doing it.

Wouldn't have bought it had known

Rudy, 03/08/2018
RTL-E 4dr Crew Cab AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

It snowed then thawed, then froze again. I went to the gas station to fill the tank and the cheap plastic flap on the capless fuel filler broke off. Water had gotten between the outer plastic fuel flap and the inner stainless steel flap and froze, blocking the filler path. Fortunately, there was a Honda dealer four blocks away. They replaced the defective plastic parts under warranty and I got it back the next day. The dealership washed it for me and when I went to fill the tank there was water from the car wash trapped between the two flaps. This happens every time it rains (frequently in the Pacific NW.) There are many complaints over the past couple years on Honda owners' forums about frozen/leaking fuel fillers. No solutions from Honda. My solution may be a plastic bag wrapped with a rubber band to keep the water and dirt out. C'mon Honda, RTL-E plus tax and license plus extended warranty is approaching $50k and it doesn't have a functional fuel filler.

Only Reasonable Choice for Many

Discerning Consumer, 02/13/2018
RTL-E 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

No changes after second year of use. No new problems, still find some of tech difficult to use, can't figure out how to adjust fade and balance on stereo so music listening experience is bad, but I mostly listen to talk radio so I haven't put more time in to trying to figure out how to adjust stereo, but I shouldn't need to put any time into that--it should be obvious. When I installed a tailgate lock (which should be standard) I noticed that there is a small gap around the back-up camera on the original handle and the one that comes with the tailgate lock so the seal doesn't prevent water intrusion into the inside of the tailgate. Seem like it should have a better gasket there, but I'm not sure if the water will cause any problem. For flexibility, safety, comfort, and economy, there is no truck comparable. If you need to tow over 5,000 lbs., get something else, but don't say the Ridgeline isn't a real truck because it is clearly the best truck for how many people want to use it. Lots of room in cab around occupants and overhead. Rides as smooth and quiet as a nice sedan, and the best versions are loaded with safety features. Bad Honda though for making you buy a moon roof and an in-bed speaker system in order to get all the good safety features. And even the ten-way power adjustable driver's seat has a lousy lumbar support, about like the old Ridgeline. Also, controls have been a bit hard to figure out. Still not sure why sometimes it unlocks or locks, or worse yet beeps even though I thought I had it set not to do that, but at least it is a quiet beep--it doesn't come from the horn, although it will do those annoying and rude horn honks if you let it (folks, please don't honk horns when locking cars), but I still want to make sure I can avoid even the softer beeps so I have to read the directions again. Nice easy step-in height, and it's fairly low to get in and out of the bed, and the rear bumper is a better surface to step on than the old Ridgeline. UPDATE: Had excessive hood flutter fixed per Technical Service Bulletin. Seems to be OK, I've had it in some moderately high cross-winds but not as high as when I noticed the original problem. No other repairs or defects, no squeaks or rattles, so much better than my 2007 Ridgeline was when new. Many controls are very hard to use though. Have to read the manual to try to figure out what should be simple functions. E.g. hard to figure out how to control the fade so I couldn't listen to music because it was so annoyingly loud in front, only listened to talk radio until I figured out how to adjust the fade & balance, but truck won't let me do that while driving, although my wife could, I guess it detects somehow whose reaching over to adjust the control, and Honda decided it is too dangerous to let the driver do it while driving (which includes while stopped at a light)--that should have told Honda that it is too hard to make that adjustment. Other things don't work the way I want them to but I need to remember to look it up and figure it out when I'm not driving and once I'm home I tend to be busy so I forget, so it does annoying things like resets my mirrors after I've got them where I want and it's not obvious how to save my settings so I can't do that until I look it up. Good truck in many ways but annoyingly difficult to use. Also, the mpg calculation lies to me and tries to make me think my gas mileage is about 1.5 mpgs better than it really is. I think other owners have indicated the same thing. Update 8-20-19, no additional problems with truck, no changes to review, very nice to drive.

Ridgeline review

Doug Gardner, 09/25/2018
RTL-T 4dr Crew Cab AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I’ve owned several trucks, using them around our horse farm and for hauling horses. We are getting out of the horse hauling business, so we were looking for a truck that could still do all the work around the farm without having to tow up to 10,000 lbs. we have been extremely impressed with the Ridgeline. From the engine/transmission to the layout and quality of the interior, this truck really sets itself apart. It drives like a quality SUV and is remarkably quiet. The tailgate swing option is something we didn’t anticipate using that much but we use it all the time - great feature.

12345...8