Used 2004 Honda Element SUV Consumer Reviews - 442 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Element SUV

View reviews for a specific Element model:

I love this car!
By Lacey

2004 Honda Element SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I went to Honda to buy an accord. Some how the sales dude got me to test drive the Element and from then on I was hooked. So many cars make you feel cramped, not with this car. More than enough head room (my husband is 6'4"), great stereo. Love the iPod hookup. Fun to drive. A little more hp would be nice but it's not slow. The amount of stuff that you can fit in this thing is absolutely amazing. 900 sq ft of wood floors. Baseboards. 2 bikes. Patio table (not taken apart) the list goes on and on. It's like having a truck with the stuff I have crammed in there. Very cold a/c. I've had it now for 2 years and besides oil changes, new tire and brakes, it has been a dream car.

Everything

The pillars in the front do make it hard to see when turning, more HP

Quirky
By nc3e

2004 Honda Element SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I still can't say that I like the way the Element looks. It's ugly, and it hasn't really grown on me yet. However, it has more interior space than I expected. Rear seat passengers have tons of space and 2 cup holders, as well as 2 more for the front seat passengers. Great sound system. AWD is great in the snow! Acceleration isn't astounding, but it isn't slow. No carpeting means cleaning up spills is the best. Front pillars make big blind spots, and the "suicide doors" are a pain in a parking lot. The brakes took some getting used to for me, the pedal is a little soft and positioned strangely. Smooth and gentle steering and ride. AC began squeaking recently and cranks VERY slow in the cold.

The hatch with tailgate, nice sound system (with aux input), tons of interior space, AWD, smooth ride, feels very sturdy and well built

What's the point of a sunroof in the back? Suicide doors are a pain, strange brake feel, odd styling, a manual would have made it more fun to drive!

Beautifully Used
By coachbarnes11

2004 Honda Element SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV w/Side Airbags (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 7th Honda I have owned. I was curious about the Element when they first came out and was glad to finally purchase a used one with a manual "yeah!" and 100k on it. Of course it has been flawless since I have owned it. So many possible ways to use this vehicle. As a competitive triathlete I am looking forward to this summer and using it for fun weekends. I am going to keep up on the maintenance and do a big service here in the spring (plugs, fluids, etc.). As long as I take care of it, the E should go another 100k for me easy. The skylight is way cool! Stereo is more than adequate and iPod friendly. I might even go camping with my son and sleep on the seats that make beds!

Every which way interior. Love the manual. All-wheel drive laughs at the snow. Sky light - solid stereo. Do anything with it mentality.

50 more hp would be nice along with 25+ mpg instead of 21. Otherwise...?

The best in a life full of great cars!
By Richard B.

2004 Honda Element SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've been a mechanic all my life. I have worked on everything from fords to Ferraris. I was the team leader of the crew that built Jay Leno's Ariel Atom. I have to tell you that I have never had as great a car as my Element! It is an '04 EX AWD in Fiji Blue, and we call it Gimli, after the steadfast, squat, ugly companion to the hobbits. Now with 56K, it is quiet, sweet to drive and has had absolutely no problems requiring repair. We get 27+ on the highway, and 24 in town, which ain't bad for a phone booth on wheels. we sleep in it when camping or skiing, and it hauls more than any vehicle I've ever owned. The Real-Time AWD is amazing. Can't say enough about this vehicle!

Seat height is great, even for people in the back. Stereo is as good as some custom units. Dog loves the room in back, and we love the rest.

None

Love My Element Except for AC Issue
By Melissa

2004 Honda Element SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love this little SUV...the AWD is grippy when you need it, the performance is okay for what I need (it can get out of its own way at least), the roominess inside can only be described as CAVERNOUS. It is super fun to drive because you can turn it on a dime and put it anywhere...it's very responsive for a box on wheels, surprisingly so. It has been reliable and dependable on everyday jaunts and on long trips. The seats, while not cushy, are VERY comfortable, like sitting in a chair rather than in a car. 1000 miles doesn't even fatigue you! One bad thing...AC compressor went at 36K miles and it will cost $1200 to fix (lowest estimate). CR-Vs and E's of these years have been known for this.

Almost everything...if I had to choose it would be the handling and the cavernous interior space. But the comfort and unique styling bring up a close 2nd.

V-6 option Honda...come on! This thing would be a blast with more power. Dear Honda, PLEASE fix the AC compressor issues that so many people are having with these vehicles...an AC compressor should last much longer and it shouldn't pollute the entire AC system when it does stop working.