2018 Honda Clarity Sedan Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Honda Clarity Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Clarity model:

Best plug-in hybrid (I'm not biased!)
By Bryan B

2018 Honda Clarity Sedan Touring Plug-In Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We looked at several plug-in hybrids before buying the Clarity. A plug-in made sense for us at this time: we do most of our driving within a few miles of home, so the electric covers us for over 90 percent of the time, but we take regular trips a few hundred miles from home, so the gas backup is a reasonable alternative for those times. My wife liked the size of the Clarity, which is about the size of the Accord or our old Altima hybrid (I would have been happy with something smaller). Trunk size was important as we needed to fit in my mother-in-law's wheelchair; the Clarity has a relatively huge trunk for a hybrid. The Touring model has all the bells & whistles you'd expect, except maybe for a sunroof, which wasn't important for us. The car is extremely comfortable and fun to drive.

The only negatives I have are relative nitpicks: mostly that the dash relies too much on the electronic LCD panel. I really miss having a physical knob to control the audio volume--the digital buttons are too hard to hit, especially when driving. The console has no indicator for whether the A/C is on (you have to hit the "Climate" button, and even then neither the On/Off A/C digital buttons is illuminated to show whether it's on or off). It really should have a button to turn it on (there's wasted space with a large button to turn the fan on/off, for instance). One other oddity is the wide shift-controller arm that extends from dash to the center console. It covers a storage area underneath that's a bit hidden because the shift arm has these side 'wings' that seem to serve no purpose--you can't really set anything on them, so it would have been better to make that whole arm narrower, I think.

Initial Problems Ignored
By disappointed_driver

The driver's side window does not seat well into the door frame. The wind noise is annoying above about 45 mph. Honda said the installation was correct and that there should be no noise. However, when I place a dollar bill and roll the window up, the dollar bill can be easily removed. My claim was denied and the only option left was arbitration. Now I am leery about keeping a car with new technology, since Honda really does not back their products even when there is an obvious issue with the car.

Clearly a winner
By Sherman

Surprisingly large and comfortable for the efficiencies provided.

Very comfortable, sporty, fun to plug in
By Connie

It changes your driving habits because you see the effects of acceleration and braking on energy consumption. I find the lane deviation and braking signals just tell you what you already know. The stereo sounds wonderful. The car is quieter and the ride smoother than my Prius. It is a heavy, low to the ground car, so very stable driving, but breaks a little slower than a lighter car. The power steering is great, the headlights nice and bright. I wanted navigation, hands free calling, which work very well. The Bluetooth connects with my iPad well, but sometimes won’t connect to other things. I also tried inserting a usb drive, which plays apple mp4 as well as mp3. It works wonderfully. It takes 10 hours to charge with 110, but is easy to plug in. And it is great to plug in your car. The mileage is very good. There are three driving settings: economy, normal and sporty. I use normal, which uses a tiny amount of gas to accelerate, but does get you 45 miles on a charge. It’s really a step up from the typical midsize sedan. My husband wants my car. Mpg is difficult to interpret because it is based only on gasoline used.

Great car so far