Used 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 100 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Quiet little car
By Megan Matney

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

It's very quiet and overall a great first car, wish it would have been my first car. :) The gas mileage is excellent. I hate to get rid of her, but I need something bigger. If you have a teenage daughter, (I'm a young lady, myself,) I would most definitely suggest this little companion.

What was I thinking?!
By slcarter81

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

So the pros for this vehicle are: great gas mileage and comfort. After reading the reviews, perhaps I purchased a lemon but I will never recommend this car to anyone. 15 minutes after driving this car off the lot, all my lights came on. Fortunately the dealership replaced the hybrid battery. I have had to change the sensors and now it is burning oil. There is NO pick up in this vehicle. If you live in the mountains, do not buy this car. Every one will be passing you! After about a year of having this car, I am in the market for a new vehicle.

mileage

Poor man's hybrid
By profwho

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Bought mine in 2009 for $7500 and 140,000 miles on the odometer. Now it has almost 200,000 miles and not a sneeze!

The 1.3L engine is a little slow even with electric assist, but not as bad as most people think. I have no trouble merging on highway. Going up a long stretch of highway need to move to the slow lane, esp. after all the battery capacity is drained.

Without A/C, the average gas mileage is pretty good, hovering between 44 to 50 MPG. In the summer, however, when it is hot outside, A/C can sap gas mileage, esp. on short local trips. On longer trips, the A/C does not drain as much energy because once the interior cools down, the A/C is not engaged as frequently.

I really like manual transmission, and have a small family to haul. This is the best combination of gas mileage, fun factor, practicality and cost.

More efficient A/C compressor. This car has a mechanical (not electric) A/C compressor that requires the gas engine running. But it is a decade old technology, probably still pretty good and competitive compared to other cars of the same age.

Savings? None!
By atcpro

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The hybrids fuel economy is great until you do the math on the cost to own. You're going to pay an extra 2k for the hybrid. Over five years, you'll save about $2925 in fuel. Sounds great until you have spit out $3900 for a new hybrid battery. Honda lost their case because they knew the battery had a shorter lifespan than advertised. So they were forced to extend the warranty to 9 years. Again, sounds great until find out they did an "update" at your last service visit on the battery that extends its life another year. Ironically, just enough for the warranty to be invalid. All together, you can expect to pay
about 3k more than your gas guzzling neighbor. Cust. Serv. is a joke.

the best looking hybrid ever built
By lam_9

I love my car.
I got it because of the gas prices going up and I loved the way it looked.
I don't regret it.
I get about 45mpg because I like to speed.
It is light, small, and fun to drive.
The one thing that I just don't like is when I'm driving up those crazy steep hill going to Las Vegas. I have to catch momentum and then keep it on 3rd gear.

The body. I still believe it is the best looking hybrid ever built.

The power. It's hard to go up on long steep hills.