Used 2007 GMC Yukon XL SUV Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 GMC Yukon XL SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:

Best Used Large SUV for the dollar
By John T

2007 GMC Yukon XL SUV SLE 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Body style with appealing lines and tight fit body panels immediately caught my eye on the '07 GMC Yukon XL. The 5.3 V8 engine is well made, I had same engine in my GMC Sierra pickup that got 255k miles before selling and it still had plenty of life left in it. Never gave me a single problem with regular maintenance and provides plenty of power and acceleration even while comfortable seating 8 adults or pulling a trailer loaded with a boat or 4,500 lb car + trailer weight. Appears to have had dealer installed CL 3 tow package that's just perfect for the pulling I do. MPG isn't great however its on par with any other SUV in the large class plus if your in the market for this sized SUV, MPG should be low on your priority list. The transmission shifts very smooth, I only wish GMC had put a 5th OD gear in for better highway MPG (currently get 18-19 mpg on highway going 75-80mph). Interior is very inviting and well laid out. Logical and comfortable setup with some great features like the instantaneous mpg / V8 or V4 display that will help change your driving habits to the good if you pay attention to it to maximize your mpg - why rush to a red light?? Sound system, AC, general comfort and braking are all above average. I was able to get my '07 in excellent condition with 87k miles for $6,200 so I got a great value but there are plenty more in similar condition for well under $8k, just be prepared to buy from an individual (dealers will want at least $12.5k, even the desperate ones) so have it checked out by a good mechanic and drive it until the odometer rolls over to at least 250k. Hopefully you will be able to hand it down to your son/daughter - ideal as its very safe and doesn't seem to fetch what its worth resale wise.

Not real impressed with 07 Denali XL
By Max Manning

2007 GMC Yukon XL SUV Denali 4dr SUV AWD (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

Engine sounds like a threshing machine for 15-18 minutes after start up and driving. Had an 02 Denali XL with 6.0l that knocked when first started and with 250,000 miles on it it would still only knock for 1-2 minutes at most even in sub-zero weather. With 120,000 miles on the 07, there is something wrong with the traction assist, stabi-trac, the rear auto level is not operational and acts like something in the transmission or transfer case is starting to let go. Unhooked the air pump for the rear and added manual air valve to the shocks but the computer still doesn't work. Everything on the 02 was still working when it was traded in. Run great, fuel mileage about the same as the 02 with a smaller engine.07 didn't have a Bose radio in it and the 02 did. Not nearly as impressed with the 07 purchase as I was when I purchased the 02 and it was 9 years old and had a few more miles on it when purchased. Never had any major engine, transmission or drive train work that needed done on the 02. The 07 is roomier on the inside. Very,very hard to read the HVAC controls in the day time and I miss the dash mounted trans temp gauge when towing. Over all I like the horse power, roomier interior and better view looking out of the interior. The quality overall is far less than what I have come to find in GM products thru the years.
Update. Now with 132000 miles the rear differential has a very very annoying whine coming from it. Sounds like a pinion bearing is going out. There is a very long bang every time it goes into passing gear, not sure if its coming from the transmission or transfer case. You can hear and feel the bang coming from the transmission tunnel between the front captains chairs. The motor, transmission and transfer case mounts have been replaced and the cross members are not broken or loose. The front differential seals were both out at the time of purchase and I was unaware of it until it was to late and damage was done to the front differential housing. This I do blame on the dealership and their "inspection". Many of these problems were in the vehicle long before I purchased it and I feel that the GM dealership that had taken it in on trade had done a very very poor inspection. This is a local,reputable long standing family owned GM dealership,but I will never purchase another vehicle from them.The tow/haul mode for the transmission isn't very reliable, sometimes it works fine sometimes it doesn't work at all. The dash electronics have went haywire as the check tire pressure indicator comes on about every 4-5 miles of driving and the tire pressures have all the same reading. The traction control and stabitrac lights come on at frequent intervals. They will usually go out in a few miles of driving, but have been on for up to 100 mile before going out. No one has been able to find out why, just that they come on. The cruise control will not work when the air temp falls to 32 degrees and colder. Again no one has been able to find the problem or repair it. If I didn't know better I would say that if it was possible to turn the odmeter back, it has been done on this unit. It is in far worse condition than the one I traded in with 250,000 plus miles. I have owned Chevrolet and GMC Suburbans and Yukons for 40 years and this one has been the biggest piece of junk that I have ever owned in my life. I will never own a import brand, but I am not sure if I'll own another GM product. I am amazed at how much the Denali was cheapened up from the 2002-2006 models and the 2007 and newer models. I am keeping it mainly because of the money I have invested in purchasing this vehicle and the cost of repairs so far and I still have several large and expensive repairs yet to come,but can't yet afford. I hate this vehicle, but I refuse to sell it to some other person knowing that there is so much wrong with it. I am approaching retirement and was planning to use this vehicle to travel with, but i am not sure if i will ever be able to feel safe in driving it far from home.

Want new one but can't wear this one out.
By Steve Phyfer

2007 GMC Yukon XL SUV SLE 1500 4dr SUV w/3SA (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

lookin to upgrade
By edward d benjamin

2007 GMC Yukon XL SUV SLE 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

get one w 20" wheels and full screen backup cam.. mirror cam too small. power lift gate almost a must have..

in short, loaded is not a bad way to.go..

purchase date below is est..

Still going strong!
By izabella

2007 GMC Yukon XL SUV SLE 1500 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this car new. It has over 140,000 miles on it. We have made several trips to Alaska and back, over the Al-Can, pulling trailer(s), driving in heat and snow. It is super comfortable. We have had brake problems, but that's to be expected with so many miles. AC works great, front and back seat. There was one recall issue 3-4 years ago, don't remember what it was, and they fixed it. This is probably our 4th or 5th Suburban/XL. I've loved 'em all!