Used 2019 GMC Terrain SUV Consumer Reviews

Used Terrain for Sale
Select your model:
12345...8

Pros
Cons

Opinion after 12650

GMC Owner, 07/30/2019
Denali 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

My 2019 Terrain, 2.0L, FWD, SLT continues to perform well. No repairs needed so far. Good MPG, comfortable, great acceleration, and quiet, Has all the necessary electronics which are easy to use. Stereo (Bose) sounds great! Front passenger seat folds down flat for longer items that need to be transported.

Surprisingly Satisfied

Coldwaterite, 10/15/2019
SLT 4dr SUV (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

Never thought I'd trade in my 2012 SLT Terrain, however thanks to a dear friend that was insistent on us getting a new vehicle (and the fact that he left a check at the dealership to pay for 20% of the vehicle) with his help and other incentives being offered back in April, we were able to purchase this new 2019 SLT for less than half price. It is a bit smaller than our 2012 but we have driven it over 9000 miles in the last 6 months and have to say it is just as comfortable as the 2012 was. Gas mileage is definitely better (as long as the A/C is not on). We will consistently get over 31 mpg driving around town. Our trip to Florida in June, driving at 70 mph, with the A/C on, got a consistent 36 mpg. An earlier trip into Michigan driving over 100 miles at 68 mph, without the A/C on, achieved a whopping 40 mpg. There is a small trunk space in the 2019 that is great for storing our shopping bags so they are no longer a mess floating around the back. The "start/stop" technology definitely takes some getting used to, but I'm sure that is what boosts up the mpg around town. I can't understand why the car magazines rip on the button transmission. I don't see it as a problem, just another feature to get used to and it took all of one use to get used to it. Hopefully the start/stop technology and electronic transmission will not prove to be a future problem. Time will tell. We bought this one because it had the automatic lift gate and power passenger seat (our 2012 had neither) and absolutely love these features; especially now that we are getting older. Not sure what more to say. We loved our 2012 and hated to part with it; but this 2019 is a very nice vehicle and 6 months + 9000 miles into it we can't complain a bit and are very happy with it so far. We insisted on getting the Blue Emerald Metallic color and when the dealer asked us for a second color choice because he couldn't get any other dealer to let go of their Blue one, I told him to give our friend his check back because we wouldn't give up our 2012 unless we could get just what we'd ask for. Surprisingly a couple days later he got just the car we wanted, color, equipment, and all!

I hate this car!

NevergonnabuyanotherGMC!, 01/31/2020
SLT 4dr SUV (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

I bought it in February 2019. With less than 5000 miles transmission needed reprogrammed. Then a check engine light show to misfire that I had to replace a spark plug. Shortly after it started running funny but no lights came on. Took it back again and they reprogrammed an engine control module. The very next day it was running and shaking still and it went back into the shop for the same thing. 7 days later I got a call from the dealership they can't get it to shake and asked me if I would come show the technician what it was doing. After driving with the technician for an hour and a half it started shaking. That was when the second spark plug got replaced. It shifts really hard. It's the worst car I've ever owned and the only new car I've ever bought!!!

surprised by backward tech

Barry Wright, 12/31/2018
SLT 4dr SUV AWD (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

The 2 liter engine is the way to go. Our iPhone 6plus won't connect, the entertainment system is programmed to not read the Windows default file format for music files. The auto stop feature absurdly restarts the engine when it is put into Park. So, when you reach your destination and put the transmission into park the engine starts again. Ridiculous! We have since learned that pressing the stop button when we reach our destination puts the transmission into park and then the engine shuts down. We eventually got the iPhone to connect after an ios update.

Don't get this car.

gregsmith, 02/12/2019
SLE 4dr SUV (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

I'm posting this mess because I want everyone to know what a POS this vehicle is. Most of this has been sent to GM corporate with no effort by them to help with the issues. Taking it in to the dealer is fruitless due to the intermittent nature of the problems - the A/C stink is reproducible so I will be taking it in for that one. This is for a 2019 Terrain SLE with the 1.5L turbo. 1. The overall ride is excessively bouncy in the 30-45 mph range. 2. The seats are horribly uncomfortable. 3. The sitting position is all wrong mostly due to the foot rest being too high. It's impossible to sit correctly because of this. 4. Sometimes the vehicle jerks at low speed(around 25mph) when trying to accelerate. 5. The Auto Stop has a few issues. a. Stopping at a stop sign or for a turn on red encourages one to make a rolling stop instead of a full stop to keep the engine running. Can you say ticket? b. While pulling into a garage, the engine shuts off while waiting a few seconds for the garage door to open fully. Then you pull in and stop. The engine shuts off again only to be restarted again when pressing Park. c. Auto stop engages excessively during stop and go traffic. BTW, I know I can put it into L to disable it but this is an Automatic Transmission, no? ============================ New issue #6: 12/30/2018 First long trip. No problems driving from Boca to Orlando in good weather - about a 3 hour drive. Drive back from Orlando to Boca. No problems for the first two hours. I stopped at a turnpike exit to start the next leg on I-95. Auto Stop at traffic light for ~2 min. While trying to accelerate up the bridge the engine revs to 3000 rpm and the vehicle decides it's not going to go any faster - roughly 35mph. I press accelerator further, no change. Put pedal to floor, rpm goes to 5000 but no real increase in speed and feels like its misfiring. Let off the accelerator. RPM stays up around 3000 for about 10 seconds. Feels like it's not in a gear at all. After that rpm drops to around 2500. I try to accelerate again because I'm losing speed. At this point I'm going down hill to get on the expressway. Engine rpm bounces starts bouncing between 2300-2800 rpm. Feels like it is switching between multiple gears - even though it's getting constant throttle. Still losing speed. I let off the accelerator again and felt it go thru multiple gears and then rpm dropped. At this point I was able to slowly achieve highway speed. I decided to see if it would accelerate normally on the highway. Much less power than normal - RPM maxes at 5000 and feels like misfiring. Seemed fine as long as it was just cruising. Tried again later on and same issue. Next day it seems normal again. =========================== BTW, Issue #6 (sudden loss of power) occurred again - ~1900 miles now. 01/16/2019 Stopped at traffic light. Auto stop shutdown engine as usual. Traffic light changes about 1 minute later. Trying to accelerate car has severely reduced power with higher than normal RPMs. Instead of trying to accelerate I just let off the gas completely. RPM stays up like before for about 5 seconds. I waited until the RPMs dropped and felt the gears changed. After that it was back to normal. 01/17/2019 - Mentioned this to dealer. They said they checked for codes and there were none. Told to bring it back if it happens again. =========================== Issue #7: The A/C intermittently has a chemical like odor. Seems to occur when compressor cycles on with recirc on then goes away after a minute or two. Sometimes it also smells like smoke (I do not smoke nor has anyone who does been in the vehicle). It will intermittently come back during the drive. Issue #8: 01/29/2019 Went to fill up with gas. Once the tank was full instead of triggering the pump shut off, fuel spewed out all over the place. I have driven cars for over 30 years and have NEVER had a problem like this until now. Issue #5 Continued: The Auto Stop feature is pathetic. It was 68 degrees outside. I start the vehicle that has been off for 9 hours so the engine is completely cooled down. I backup out of a parking space, go forward about 40 feet and stop for traffic (about 15 seconds). The Auto Stop shuts the engine down. This brainless system thinks the engine warmed up enough in 15 seconds? ============================ Vehicle now has ~2650 miles. Issue #9: 02/11/2019 Driving along as usual then suddenly the infotainment screen went black. Pressing buttons did nothing. After 30 seconds it came back on as if it rebooted but the GMC logo did not appear as it normally does when the car is started. Issue #10: 02/12/2019 After about 30 seconds of driving. Accelerate normally from traffic light. Transmission should have shifted to next gear but instead went out of gear for about 10 seconds (sudden abnormal increase of RPMs - about 2000 increase). After that it went into the correct gear and back to working normal.

12345...8