Used 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

hot rod w/6.2 litre flex fuel on reg gas
By larry lantz

2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

shorter than 6' have to stretch in/out, console too high to slide across front seat, side lh front seat bolster cracks, weak drivers door handle

Uninformed recall cost me my Truck
By D corrigan

2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 4dr Extended Cab 8 ft. LB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Beware of the ignition steering column Gremlin, while getting lined up to tow a 16 ft cargo open 3ft trailer. The truck started having a problem that only happened the day before...the ignition key was turned but the electrical was flickering wildly then dead then start...I had to move a trailer with personal belongings or lose them to the DUMP. I had yet to hook up to the trailer, when the truck just lost complete power in reverse. I restarted the truck, and as I backed up power failed, I was trying to turn the wheel because the column was locked, and I needed to returned the Gear to park so I could start it, and the key was stuck in the now locked ignition. Only it would not start, as soon as I just gave up trying to turn the engine over, the truck starter kicked on and kept grinding, the truck was in park, steering still locked, I put the gear in Reverse and the truck took off Forward with the steering locked to wards a retaining wall...emergency brake full 3 feet pressing the pedal the truck was still head to the wall to the right, key would not turn but came out of the column. I held on as the truck in reverse reved up forward, I pulled on the steering wheel left breaking off the turn signal arm in the process...the truck hit the wall; and just flicked and shut down .

*UPDATED* 36,000 miles...Running Great
By jaximports

2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 4dr Extended Cab 8 ft. LB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

ORIGINAL - I bought mine 6 months ago and have put 5,000 miles on it. I needed a truck for our start-up business and this one had everything I needed with a camper shell and spray on bedliner. This is my first GMC/Chevy. I'm in FL. The truck is originally from MI, so it has a bit of surface rust on the frame, from the salt up north. I plan to get it blasted and coated this year to prevent further corrosion. Other than that I average 16.5mpg with a fairly heavy foot and mixed driving. It's comfortable and I love the looks. Paint also has small corrosion spots from up north. Overall happy with the purchase...fingers crossed.

**UPDATE** - Unfortunately, I had to get rid of the truck at 55,0000 miles. The ABS in the truck went out. The truck often would not go into Drive from Park - I actually had to get out of the driver's side, leave the door open, and stand on the ground while rocking the truck back and forth, then hop in quickly and pull the shifter down into Drive. It was ridiculous. I rely on my truck everyday for work, and it became wildly unreliable.
I traded it in for a 2014 Tundra. Haven't looked back since - best decision ever.

Is This Another GMC Cover-Up
By cpaandcfsa

2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SL 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

My parents were driving N on I95 this weekend from FL to VA. The truck's door locks went up & down; the lights flashed on & off; and then, the truck's operating system shut down. The engine, power steering, power brakes nor anything else did not work. Couldn't steer the truck & barely able to stop from 70 mph. 300 miles later, it happened again. Fearing for their lives, they did not stop the rest of the way home. When they took it to the dealer, he said that the "positive post" had come "loose". This did not seem reasonable & far-fetched to my father since he had observed the battery posts that week himself.
Is this another cover-up by GMC when more lives are at stake?

As retirees, my parents can hardly afford such needless and unexpected truck expenses. I'm scared for them and they're not sure what to do, esp. with all the problems GMC appears to be having with ignition system failures that appears to have the same symptoms as my parent's truck this past weekend. Come on, GMC, is this the first time this has happened or are you still not reporting such potentially tragic accidents that happened simliar to this? Respectfully, please advise. My sepmother called you and reported this so it should be on file.

Steering feels cheap
By heresmyopinion

2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 8 ft. LB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Bought the truck in Sept. and I gotta say, this is one smooth driving pickup. If I had the extra dough, the SLT would have been the way to go. The door handles are in a bad spot, passengers have a hard time finding them. The cab is already starting to make noise and the steering feels REAL cheap, I'm planning on bring it to the dealer to have it checked out. Fuel economy is good, averaging around 17 mpg. The 5.3 liter has great power, with the truck loaded up, but I haven't towed anything heavy yet so I'm not sure how the truck would handle or brake. The leather interior is very comfortable, even on long trips and you can't beat the full size room. Got a good deal and dealership was great.

Power, Comfort, Styling, Handling, Quiet

Fit and Finish, Better quality steering components, Door panels and handle, Too much cheap plastic on the dash and doors, Need to coat the undercarriage better