Used 2003 GMC Envoy XL SUV Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Envoy XL for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Most reliably vehicle to date

carguy208, 02/02/2015
SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I love this truck. I purchased it in 2008 with 58k. The truck now has just about 169k. In town ave. 15 as estimated, freeway (70mph) with my family & luggage it pulls 21-22mpg average. Runs and rides great! I stay up on all maintenance: fluids, S-belt, brakes pads & rotors, coil overs, shocks, fuel filter, ball joints& driver front wheel bearing (I consider maintenance). The only non-maintenance repairs have been replacing plastic upper molding on rear door the power steering pump (reservoir leaking, did not fail), tensioner pulley & water pump, all just this year 2014. I really can’t say enough good about her. One of the best SUV’s ever built!

I LOVE my ENVOY

oppcy, 05/22/2012

I'm the second owner but I've had for the last 4 years and I LOVE my Envoy. I've never loved a car before but this rides smooth, is so quiet, shifts like a dream, makes tight car-like Uturns, plenty of interior room, nice leg room, has 86,000 miles. I've had to replace the fan clutch ($600), the arm rest (my fault - $70) and something else that I can't remember the name of but it may be called the driveline (?). Anyway, it's the part that causes your vehicle to shift into gear ($200). It's just been a dream to ride and drive. This is a vehicle that you want to take care of because you want it to last forever.

Most reliable vehicle I have ever owned

doug , 09/22/2006

Vehicle runs smooth and quiet. Railroad tracks and speed bumps don't bother this GM SUV. Just under 100k miles at this time and no major repairs needed. A couple batteries, sets of tires, windshield wipers, oil changes and air filters and that is all. Fuel mileage is not great, especially at this time when we pay $3.00 a gallon. I rate this vehicle a 10 because it is the most reliable and comfortable vehicle I have ever owned.

2003 Envoy XL SLT 4WD

jd, 05/11/2008

Love the Envoy, have had it for about 6 years and at 79000 miles no major problems. I have 5 kids and it is a great fit for us. I have thought about getting an Enclave but love the Envoy too much. It could do a little better on gas but its still not bad, we take a long trip every year and the is lots of room for us and our stuff. Buy one!

Overall Performance

Thom, 09/13/2008

As a Field Service Engr for a competitive car company, the overall style sold me, but the comfort and fuel economy has made me a believer! With a tow capacity of 6800# fuel economy after break-in now delivers 16.8 cty/21.5 hwy and 11.0 when towing 54000#. With 62,000 miles the vehicle this vehicle is still solid and drives like new with a ride that is very hard to beat unless you drive a large Yukon. Having serviced the Detroit Metro circuit and performed competive bench mark drive studies, it was always a joy driving home as the comfort of this vehicle, and passenger capacity exceeds most dometic cars. Even with the intro of the new hybrids, it's hard to beat the overall investment.

02 Envoy XL

TBork, 10/18/2002

Rides like a Cadillac, Great engine

Great XL SLE 4WD

plerke, 11/28/2002

The ride is Great! 275 HP a dream. The inline 6 makes this move like a V8. Plenty of room and the interior controls convenient. Powerful. Quiet. Let it Snow. I'm reay for anything...

My 2003 Envoy

hjl3, 06/19/2011

I bought my 2003 Envoy XL brand new and at the beginning had several issues but I now have 152,000 miles on it and have literally put only $3000 of repairs due to my excessive driving from vacation to seeing my kids away at college. It gets impressive gas mileage STILL! I will never trade or sell this vehicle, one of my son's will inherit it since I have takin care of it like my baby!

Awesome Family Vehicle

gw, 09/28/2006

This vehicle fits my family like GM was thinking of us when they designed it. My 6'4" son can comfortably ride on long trips all the way in the back row. Now with the extended family and the requisite car seats, booster seat, and adults, we are still comfortable. The A/C works well even in the heat of the southwest during the summer. Good visibility, good braking, great manuveurability, a very powerful I6 engine with amazzing pep and good mileage. I added a cold air intake system and now get 14 in town and 22 on the highway with 4 adults and 3 children onboard. No major problems after 3+ years of heavy daily usage in town.

Comfortable SUV

nelieltu, 03/07/2011

I bought my 2003 Envoy XL brand new and always did synthetic oil changes. I flushed the transmission once. The things that went bad were (fan clutch) and (battery). Other then those two things, it performed flawlessly. Never had a problem with the engine or transmission. The interior door panels are comming un-glued, but over all it was a great purchase for my family. I just bought a 2011 Honda Pilot EX and I can already tell that I miss the power that the envoy has. But the pilot seats 8 versus the 7 in the Envoy

I will not buy another GMC Envoy!

just_mary1971, 02/16/2009

Bought this SUV in 2005. It is now 2009. Mind you I have only had this car for 3 years and have already experienced this many problems. When I first bought, right off the bat I had to put new brakes on it. In which I had to purchase myself (dealer did not pay for replacing them the day that I bought it). That should have told me something right there. Well, few days later, I notice the emergency brake doesn't work either. Shortly after, my air conditioning motor quit working. That cost me over $500.00. Then the stereo speaker wiring started to mess up. Now, I listen to my stereo with only 2 front speakers. Now in 2009, I am already replacing the brakes and rotors again. It has 70,000 miles.

Good purchase

TP, 04/03/2009

I've had this SUV for over 6.5 years, have 95,000 miles and never had any major issues. There were a couple of recalls early on but I've had it paid for over a year now and have never had to take it to the shop other than an oil change and only 2 tires. I haven't even had to replace the brakes yet. I have no plans on replacing this car. I plan to drive it until it dies and hopefully that will be for another 95k miles.

With Good Comes Bad

jewel, 07/26/2010

Overall strong vehicle but has cost us a bit. After just over one year of ownership, the 4x4 feature started to fail. This lead to a complete transmission overhaul. $2400 there. Then within months, the fan clutch went for another $850. Less than one year now, the light is on again, what now? We already have the electronic circuit needing replacement. Apparently, that's to blame in the repeated blow out of the rear break lights. Great for camping or driving in snow/rain but you need to have some repair cash saved aside.

I love my Envoy!

happy owner , 09/11/2010

I have owned my Envoy for 7 years, I have 51,000 miles on it. I love the ride and the comfort. I did have one problem that cost me $700. I plan on keeping my Envoy for many more years. I want to thank GMC for making a quality SUV. I manage to get around 18 MPG in the city and 21 MPG on the highway, I have never had a heavy foot so I believe that is why I get better mileage than most other owners.

Overall, Great Car

gbutterfield, 11/10/2010

We have had our Envoy XL for 8 years. It has served as our family vehicle. It has help up well for the past 8 years but now it is starting to wear. EX: (Both heated seats broken, computer issues, load leveling suspension issues) We LOVE this car but realize that we have to get rid of it soon. Due to the load leveling suspension issue, the car will lower itself down to the ground while we are driving it or when it is parked, so we are reluctantly looking at the Acadia because we want the same reliability and quality of a GMC.

the best!

blackonyx, 09/06/2002

slt fully loaded except dvd. average mpg is 18. i feel like i'm driving a secret service vehicle.

SUV OF THE YEAR!

vflowe, 09/16/2002

This vehicle is the best. GM did there home work on this one. Drives smooth, rides like a Cadillac and 270 hp engine gives you the performance of a sedan. All still with powerful towing capabilities and seven passenger seating.

Can't tell i'm driving an SUV

Supamonk, 09/28/2002

This is the best SUV on the market. I love it. I used to own a '97 Chevy Tahoe, but you can't even compare the two! I can't even tell I'm riding in a n SUV when I'm in it. It has nearly as many features as my husband's loaded Cadillac DeVille.

I LOVE MY NEW ENVOY XL!!!!!

Envoy Lover!!!, 10/22/2002

I just bought a White Envoy XL and I love it! The ride is so smooth. I love the space I have, even the third row passenger seating is roomy. I could not have picked a better SUV!

The Pits

charlie, 10/23/2002

Test Drove the vehicle for 1/2 mile. Poor handling. Rode like a truck. My Pontiac Transport with 88K miles feels better. No riding comfort whatsoever. fancy interior. Radio antenna nearly fell off the vehicle in traffic. worst I have driven.

Where is the comfort?

flojo, 11/14/2002

I was excited when I bought my first SUV. It was loaded and had everything I ever wanted in an SUV. The problem I have with the Suv is the seats are soooo uncomfortable, and the electric seats don't move very far in an upright position. I feel I am in a recliner while I am driving. I am used to a car with firmer seats and electric seats that go in all positions. $30,000.00 and my back hurts every time I get out of the car.

Envoy

Jas, 11/17/2002

It was very comfortable, very spacious, fun to drive, my children enjoyed the space an the technology.

Envoy alot less than a Yukon

larry foreman, 11/18/2002

Super truck to drive. Driver's info center easy to follow to set up auto features of the car. Handles well around town and on the road, even with the wind. Built extremely well. Interior is comfortable and pleasing to the eye.

Awesome SUV

l8nite, 12/05/2002

By far the best SUV I haved owned. Haven't had a chance to tow anything with it yet, but it will get a workout in the spring with the boat and camper.

Love this Truck!

asdandy, 12/05/2002

This is one very nice riding truck. Quite to the point of ridiculous, roomy with the 3rd Row seat. I've only had it for 2 months and its been awhile since I've driven a truck, but I'd really recommend this vehicle.

My Envoy XL..2003 model

Larry Shepard, 12/07/2002

My wife and I really like this vehicle. Plenty of room, very comformable, drives great. Pulls my 19' boat very well. Really impressed with the power of the motor. Fuel mileage also has been very good. In the city mileage has run around 16.5 to 17.5..Highway mileage has been from a low of 20.2 to a best of 22.1. This Envoy has less than 10,000 miles so far. Looking forward to driving it to florida in early march with boat in tow.

GMC ENVOY IS A GOOD BUY!

Timdog, 12/07/2002

I have the SLE Package, and the only complaint is that power mirrors are not standard. Very disappointing for a $30k truck.

Great Test Drive

Steve D., 12/19/2002

I test drove the Envoy XL model and drove like a luxury car.

Renewed Faith in GM

David F., 12/14/2002

I just purchased a new Envoy XL. What a joy to drive. GM has finally awoken to design and build a product that can compete with the imports. I looked at the Honda Pilot, Toyota's and Dodge. In my opinion, the Envoy is not only the best value, but puts GM back on the map with innovative design and what appears to be much, much improved quality. This vehicle drives so smooth. The Envoy proves that if GM listens to thier customers they can design and build quality automobiles and start attracting those buyers that would look to imports. Way to go GM.

Great Mid Size

Edfrom indy, 12/18/2002

This is a great riding SUV! I love the power. The SLT has all the amenities. Hey what is up with Charlie? Maybe he should be test driving a buick? Yes, the SUV is a truck! A rugged one!

Update on the Envoy XL

Tjcishere1, 01/04/2003

This truck has been great i have the slt with the 1sk pkt,has everything but the sun roof because it has the DvD. The truck towes my 5,ooo lb boat with out a problem. i have 10,000 miles on it now and the truck is getting 16 city and up to 20 mpg on the highway.

So Far So Good

Lovenox, 01/02/2003

First time I ever bought an american SUV. Rides as good if not better than my Pathfinder and Lexus RX 300 did. So far I am very pleased. It is still early. Handles well in the snow and has plenty of towing power.

NO TIME 4 WHEEL DRIVE

MOM IN NJ W/NO 4WD, 01/04/2003

IN A SNOW STORM W/MY 2&4 YR. OLD KIDS I FOUND OUT THAT THIS BRAND NEW BIG HEAVY CAR HAD NO 4WD.IT WAS A BLESSING WE DIDN'T DIE!!! WE TOOK IT TO BE FIXED THE PART WILL NOT BE IN UNTIL MID- FEB!!! THIS IS A COMMON PROBLEM W/THIS CAR.. I LIVE IN NJ SO IF IT SNOWS I HAVE NO CAR! LOVELY....NEVER AGAIN IN 4 YEARS IT'S BACK TO TOYOTA!!!!!!PS. WE GOT A SURVEY ASKING ABOUT WHAT DOESN'T WORK..

Love it!

tori101, 01/06/2003

What a great vehicle. I bought this one for my wife and I am now considering getting rid of my BMW 528 to get another. I got an LT with every option available and it was worth it. So many creature features make the Envoy a must drive. I must say that I was impressed with Burns Pontiac in Marlton - it was a no haggle environment and you only pay 2.5% over invoice.

Smooth, Roomy, Comfortable

grdamoth, 01/22/2003

Bought it for room. That it has! Mileage is constant 15 - 16 mpg city driving. Especially nice is the rear heating zone separate controls, AutoVolume radio, cassette, CD player. Heated outside rearview mirrors, etc, are ergonomically perfect. Love the 8- way power seat with lumbar support, individual seating lighting, etc. Handling is strong and decisive, and the 4-wheel drive is sure and simple to use. Had considered the Buick Rendezvous, but the wife preferred the GMC Envoy styling.

Horrendous City Gas Mileage

tampajack, 01/27/2003

City driving is a disaster. 12.5 mpg using premium fuel (and I drive conservatively). This is awful for a six cylinder engine. It is a beautiful vehicle, but it "squeaks" and gets (in my opinion) lousy gas mileage. I can't wait for the lease to expire.

Envoy XL in Maine performs great

T Young, 01/26/2003

Envoy XL ride is the best of all SUV's, including the new Explorer. On our frost-heaved, potholed roads here in central Maine, the extra long wheelbase of the XL smooths out bumps and ruts without jarring thuds or body lean. I bought an Onyx black SLE with chrome wheels and roof rack cross bars as the only options. The best looking and most functional SUV I ever owned, without question!

Go Buy Your Envoy Now!

Luv My Envoy XL SLT , 02/10/2003

Test drove it and fell in love! Drives like a breeze...NOT a truck. Trading up from my 98 Transsport wasn't a tough decision after looking at and test driving the Envoy XL. Not too much car for my wife to drive. Even the kids are happy..who wouldn't be with a built in theater with Bose sound system. Can't wait for the first big trip!!

Love My Envoy

Julia Edwards, 02/13/2003

I am very pleased with my Envoy XL. I've driven Suburbans for years and had some reservations about purchasing a smaller SUV. I was immediately impressed with the way the Envoy handled and the solid feel of the vehicle. It's safety features and styling were very appealing to me when I began considering this vehicle. The Envoy SLT has numerous amenities that make it a luxurious ride and the practicality that I need in an SUV. Although the fold down third seat creates a minor obstacle in loading, the rear cargo area is spacious. The Envoy XL is a superb vehicle.

2003 Envoy XL

Dloria, 02/19/2003

I have only had the car 3 days and I love it. We did lots of shopping around and this is the best overall package in the group.

I Love it!

Stacy, 06/11/2003

I researched vehicles to purchase for more than a year and this is the only vehicle in the price range I was willing to spend that fully satisfied my luxury and people transportation needs and my husband's truck needs.

03 Envoy XL

spinky, 06/10/2003

Compared all of the six to seven passenger vehicles including Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota and the features of the Envoy, looks, comfort and towing capacity was superior to others. Dealer discounted substantially with approx. 8k off of MSRP. Much better value than overpriced alternatives with less options. Good ride, lots of power, all amenities and options for same price as an LX Honda Pilot. GM's low financing rate is less too.

Not Bad...Actually Pretty Good!

tran, 07/29/2003

I like my first GM purchase. The V-8 has a lot of power. In comparison to all the SUVs out there within the price range, the Envoy beats them all in terms of price, features, power, and comfort. The Envoy rides much smoother than the Expedition, Tahoe, or Sequoia.

Suburban Replacement

buffy_flyer, 08/15/2003

Best option for being able to tow but being smaller and more nimble. So far very impressed with the 6 cylinder engine, both from a power standpoint and gas mileage. Concerns about mushy handling have not been realized. Wife likes it better than Suburban because it is easier to handle around town. Try it, you'll like it!

WHAT A DRIVE

V-MAN, 02/27/2003

This is my second GMC vehicle and I love it more than the last.This SUV rides like a car. Comfort is great.I love the I6 engine, plenty of power when you need it. So far it's been a blast to drive. I put about 25 to 30k miles a yr so comfort, power and reliability are very important to me and so far my Envoy XL has lived up to my expectations. Fuel ecomony so far is avg at best. Looking for mpg improvement as soon as the weather gets a bit nicer

untweaked

bikerscape, 08/31/2003

Outstanding SUV. Suffered items that should not go past final assembly inspection/delivery. Cmn A/C issue resolved after taking back, but well known about (fix it before it leaves !). A couple minor build issues (Folks in OKC -- Wake UP !!!). After resolving minor issues it's been great. Amazing the only car I never had any problem with was metric. Americans are doing great eng and design. It's the execution that's the problem. Assemble to 100 % - dealer run interference on minor issues before delivery. Learn something in 100 years !

Great SUV...but it's not a minivan

Dave in CO, 09/05/2003

Just bought the Envoy XL SLE. I love it, but it's not a minivan. I bought it with the idea that my wife and three kids (2, 4, and 6)would use it. Great idea...it sits way up high, handles/rides superbly, nice quality (and I am leery of GM products) but the execution didn't pan out. The Envoy is too tall for her to get in (solved: purchased running boards), doesn't have nearly the functionality (cubby holes, cup holders), and the tumbling seats are a nuisance to pile into/out of every time for my three little kids. Don't get me wrong, I like the XL...but it's not going to work out for the "wife car".

Alot better than the Explorer

ATLIAH, 09/06/2003

Purchased the Envoy after four bad years with 2 different Expl. XLTs. Interior is excellent especially the room for the third row. No major problems, 1 recall. Ride is very smooth and the feature for alternate listening in the back for the kids is great.

Great SUV...but it's not a minivan

ff0101, 09/06/2003

Got the SLE XL in hopes of replacing my minivan. Not a good idea. Yeah, it sits 6 adults...but I've got three little kids. Tumbling the second row is a pain, especially with all the car seats. Not a good idea. Now, in a few years it'll be ideal. And I love to drive it myself. My first GM product in a while (I swore myself off years ago after getting burned) so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

Regretting this purchase

emn, 07/20/2003

We purchased a new Envoy XL 11 months ago and have had it in the shop for repairs 8 times. Although we love the comfortable ride and attractiveness of the vehicle, we have been sorely disappointed by its reliability. The problems we have experienced include a cracked gas tank, failed 4WD, failed windshield wiper mechanism, failed seat controls, quirky mirrors, several computer system glitches, as well as a couple of recall repairs.

51050