Used 2016 GMC Canyon Consumer Reviews

Used Canyon for Sale
Select your model:
12345...11

Pros
Cons

Its a Jimmy

ed m, 08/14/2018
SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The stock cloth seats are terrible. Very hard bolsters that cause poor seating position and entry/exit. A very high step-up to get in an out for a shorter person. Dealer assisted me to get better seats and the addition of a step-rail solved both of those problems. Transmission did not run smooth until after a software update was applied by the Dealer. Now all is well and I am quite happy with the vehicle.

Last GMC I'll ever buy!

Dan, 09/06/2016
SLE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

TO; GMAC 8-2-2016 RE; 2015 Canyon Pick up Dear Sirs, Having previous good experience with GMC I returned to your brand for my new purchases. My last GMC was a 2003 and I put nearly a quarter of a million miles on it before it was destroyed by a reckless driver. I bought the new Canyon pick-up in the winter it was running and worm when I took it for the test-drive. Which turned out to be a huge mistake on my part. I also looked at important specifications, and window sticker nomenclature. (1) The ability to tow up to 7000 LBS This I do not believe can be done. I pull a small 8x10 trailer including cargo of just 350 lbs. I figure it was about 2500 lbs. it’s like pulling a house down the road at 7 MPG. Not just handling the power plant was over rot trying to keep the rig at highway speeds without even attempting to pass ( wouldn’t even consider it with the way the motor was behaving) A fifteen minute drive took nearly a quarter of a tank in gas I’ve never seen anything like that EVER. (2) Gas mileage is just bad! 7-8 MPG with trailer! I may as well be driving the bigger rig this is not saving me a dime. (3) The on board computer is very slow – very, very slow. In today’s computing world this is so frustrating having to wait long periods of time more than (30) seconds to boot - to have the tools and information to proceed on a trip. It’s not covered under warranty yet runs the entire truck so if it quits. Well that’s a problem. now the screen keeps blacking out even after being in for repair on this issue. (4) Acceleration letting off the gas on a freeway ramp or navigating traffic and re-pressing the gas to find the motor (missing) no power! This happens allot and it’s a terrible issue. The shop said (“they are aware of that, it’s within spec”) The motor behaves like it’s stalling when the gas is re-applied – so, frustrating and a little scary when trying to get on a highway. (5) Maps that are way out of date. I travel daily and find that the navigation does not include neighborhood’s that have been established for 5 or more years. (6) Under-powered Granted I’m used to a V8 but was told that “THIS HAS ALL THE POWER OF AN OLD V8” in your nomenclature and advertising. In short; I do not believe that you’re advertising, window sticker, sales team or nomenclature was truthful about what I could expect from this (Professional grade) truck. I’ve had it in the shop 4 times in 10,000 miles. I’m a self-employed and this was a major deal for me – Now being told the truck is running at specification. I’m really stuck. Tried to trade out of it only to be told I would get less than 3/4 its value so that’s a no go -- to be that upside-down. I do not know where to turn, this unit is not anything like what I was told it could do. There are other nuisances, what were you thinking - things that I could live with, but the power and towing is unacceptable! I have talked to other people what have the exact same experience- issues I’m having with this new truck!

Read this

Rich pruckler, 08/28/2016
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

First of all, I need to ding edmunds for not even listing the model with a Diesel engine. The engine is great. Love the vehicle but I am outraged that the first gravel road I went on, gravel blasted the protruding portion of the rear wheel area. Vehicle should have had mud flaps on the front. You should demand flaps be put on by your dealer. At least recommended. I will bash GMC on reviews on this everywhere I can. Major oversight on GMCs part.

OK truck that misses the mark

Kevin, 12/13/2017
SLE 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Overall this truck gets kudos for good ride quality and low noise levels. However, the 2.5L 4Cyl. doesn't belong in this vehicle. The gas mileage is horrible. I have averaged just a tick under 19MPG in 28K miles of driving. I've owned full size trucks with V-8 motors that deliver almost the same economy. In the city, this truck barely delivers 17. There is a persistent sound of rushing water near the heater core when the truck is cold, a problem GM cannot fix. The transmission hunts for gears at the slightest incline on the highway. The transmission will slip from 3rd to 4th gear on occasion and it gets confused when driving in traffic and will make abrupt downshifts. The steering wanders and the truck veers at the slightest inputs on the highway. The light switch and 4wd drive switch are located out of view and are blocked by the steering wheel. The cruise control light is in the area between 65-75 MPH on the speedometer and gets blocked by the needle. The radio display goes dark sometimes for no reason and other times shows a distracted driving warning at random. The On Star system randomly tells me the car is equipped with On Star. The engine stumbles at idle like it has a misfire. The truck has developed a persistent squeaking coming from the rear suspension and a clicking noise at low speeds from the front. As this truck is again, more rattles are also developing in the interior. The front seats become uncomfortable after about an hour of driving. The rear seats are utterly useless, they should have at least put a bench seat in the rear so you can sit sideways. The truck is equipped with a power seat, auto headlights, bluetooth, power window/locks, rear defrost, cruise, back up camera, etc., but GM in their brilliancy doesn't offer power mirrors with this package and they continually wiggle out of adjustment. Yes, that's a lot of complaining. I will say, it offers a much better ride than a Tacoma and has never broken down but there are too many bugs in this car to consider it again, especially with a $32,000 sticker price.

Stuck with a lemon gm don't care!

Mel, 06/24/2017
SLE 4dr Crew Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2016 GMC Canyon sle crew cab shortly after purchasing the transmission jerks feels like it goes from 5th gear into 3rd and I can't ecelerate ... numerous trips to the dealer they can't duplicate it, power steering light is on dealer couldn't get part. And said it had a short in it ... I got the truck back only to have the light flash for steering again and check air in tires staying on!! I bought a new truck and GM could care less I'm stuck and the dealer promised me a replacement vehicle only to than ask me for a lot of money! Taken for a ride in lemon!

12345...11