Used 2016 GMC Canyon Consumer Reviews

Used Canyon for Sale
Select your model:
12345...11

Pros
Cons

Base Model Canyon 4X4 Extended Cab 6cyl 300+HP

Chuck, 03/14/2016
SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

What a great little truck! The interior is excellent and the exterior is stylish! I ordered the Base Model with vinyl seats (no extra charge) V-6 and 4WD. I also have the basic radio and no carpeting. It's a truck! It hauls, pulls and handles great on or off road. Great value if you stick to the basics! No on star, no computer screen, no crappy cloth seats and no carpet. If you are looking for a TRUCK, build your own using the GMC build your own tool. You'll be surprised what the base model has to offer! 2 YRS free maintenance + 5 YR / 100,000 MI extended warranty. All of this for UNDER $30,000! Compare with Tacoma, Frontier and Colorado, the Canyon has way more options and is not over priced. @30,000 miles, everything is still great with this truck.

Great mid size truck

Andy, 04/25/2016
SLE 4dr Crew Cab LB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Great ride ,very quiet cabin, good fuel economy for a truck, 6 cylinder has plenty of power. A pleasure to drive, you would not think you were driving a truck. A lot of tech features if you like that kind of stuff.

Good truck with a TERRIBLE transmission

Brian, 08/01/2017
SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

First of all, I really do love this truck. I have had it over a year now, and could see myself in it for years. It is very comfortable, handles like an SUV, and the interior is great. I had one small issue with the infotainment not booting one time, but it was quickly resolved by turning the truck off and back on. So now on the bad news. THIS IS THE WORST TRANSMISSION EVER! They have programmed the shift points to make it more fuel-efficient (which it's really not). MPGs are great, but not at the expense of driver comfort and safety. The thing just will not downshift when it needs to. So the scenario would be like this.. Youre cruising along at 45 mph and it's rolling in 5th gear. You come to a slight incline and give a it a bit more gas to stay at 45. A normal transmission would drop to 4th gear as soon as it started to struggle. well NOT this one. It tries to stay in 5th gear until you can literally feel the torque converter giving up. The only way to get it to downshift is to quickly press the gas pedal to ask for more power. But THEN, does it downshift to 4th? No, it drops 2 gears so now youre revving high in 3rd gear for no reason. GMC could easily fix the shift points with a new ECU flash, but for some reason just continue to ignore us.

Most comfottable velicle I've ever owned!

D.R. Steele, 08/09/2016
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

2016 Models do not have a CD/MP3 player. I listen to a lot of books on CD. Now I have to convert to a thumb drive to listen. However, that is not to say that I don't love this truck. I travel extensively on business and hate airports - so...if it's less that 12 hours, I drive. I've owned Ford Tauruses in the past and I always thought they were a comfortable ride, until the Canyon. No fatigue, and I could drive it a long way without having a sore butt! Even my wife says it is more comfortable than her 2015 Buick Enclave! I'm sold on this truck, even though I had wished that Ford had a mid-size! Ford's loss!

Nice Ride - No Fatigue

Primus, 10/27/2016
SLE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have previously owned 2 first gen Toyota Tundra's. I was skeptical in going American but this was the only truck in the size range I wanted or that would fit between my narrow garage doors. I purchased the Canyon over the Colorado because some of its features cannot be had on the Colorado (look at the instrument cluster) and the dealership prices for each were basically the same. I have the All Terr edition which I highly recommend and also have 4 wd as I live in CO. I drive up and down a lot of hills and get combined driving MPG of about 23.7. My old Tundra's got 16. The MPG drops significantly when motoring over 80 mph, but the truck feels fine at that speed. The fit and finish have been fine and I have had truck for 8 months and have not yet been to the dealership. The two issues I am changing on the truck are a. low front end which I have raised with an aftermarket kit and b. shift points of the transmission drive me nuts when going up small hills and again have gone with an aftermarket computer override. I know that GM in 2017 is changing the engine (adding 3 HP and a little torque) and transmission but I can't imagine an 8 spd transmission will be well programmed for this truck. I guess we will have to wait and see. I did not opt for the diesel because it was so much more expensive and I do not trust GM with such a new engine for this market.

12345...11