2020 Genesis G70 Sedan Consumer Reviews

$35,450

Save as much as $6,336
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Converted from BMW

Kent, 05/06/2020
3.3T 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have owned 2 Lincolns's, 2 BMW's and 7 Cadillac's. Value, ride and handling is right up there, on the 3.3 liter. 2.0 was a bit sluggish. When you compare a fully loaded Genesis to the BMW there is no comparison when it comes to value. Traded a 4 year old BMW. 6 month update. No problems and service department is much friendlier with great follow up.

Not what you’d expect from a “luxury” brand

Serra, 03/14/2020
2.0T 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I bought a brand new 2020 Genesis G70, and it kept making a loud clunking noise from what appeared to be coming from the front passenger side tire when making left turns, the driver side window made an awful clicking sound whenever it went up/down (as if there was too much pressure against the glass), the plastic part right next to the driver side window on the outside of the car would pop in and out when closing the driver side door, and the audio would randomly turn on when driving on bumpy roads. When I turned the music off, then the radio would automatically turn on. The first Blue Hands center (a Hyundai certified service center) I went to said nothing was wrong with the car when I brought up the clunking noise. So, I took it to another Blue Hands center, and the technician there said something must be on the road to cause the car to make that noise, which was utter bullshit. Since he didn’t exactly know what the cause was, he told me to go to Hyundai Service Center. A technician at Hyundai Service Center also claimed nothing was wrong and gave me yet another bullshit explanation saying that Genesis cars are rear-wheel drive cars, so they’re susceptible to making that clunking noise when driving through a crosswalk. I said, “Okay. Then, let me drive another G70 and see if that car also makes a similar sound.” They brought another G70 for me to test drive, and, low and behold, that G70 didn’t make any noise whatsoever. After driving the car for 3 months, a guy from the high tech division finally discovered what was wrong with the car - defected engine mounts. I drove my car every day for 3 months with that loud clunking noise. What frustrates me even more is the fact that everyone at Hyundai (Blue Hands, Hyundai Service Center) kept insisting nothing was wrong with the car. If nothing was wrong with it, then why the hell would it keep making that clunking noise??? I’m sure driving the car around with bad engine mounts for 3 months wasn’t good for the car - who knows what other damages it caused. I paid full price for a brand new car I thought I can trust. After having all these issues, I can no longer trust my car and don’t even want it anymore. If I was going to get a defected car like this, I would’ve just bought a used car instead. It sure would’ve saved me a lot more money. When people buy new cars, they want to feel like they can trust the car because it’s brand new. I’ve had to fix several things on my car already, and it’s only been 3 months! Update: After they made some adjustments to the driver side window, it no longer makes the weird noise as if there was too much pressure against the glass, but now the window rattles from side to side when driving on bumpy roads.

I think they hit a home run with this car

Rick, 12/17/2020
2.0T 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Purchased this car back in May and I got a ton of rebates, so the car was a great deal. I've got the 2.0 with the sports package, which includes the elite and prestige packages. I test drove both the 3.3 and the 2.0. The 3.3 was a rocket and really fun to drive, but just not practical for me. The 2.0 gave me all the power I needed, better fuel economy, plus, the ability to avoid speeding tickets. To date, I have been very pleased with my purchase. Here are the pros and cons per my experience with my car... Pros 1. Comfortable drive. Suspension is not too firm, not too soft. 2. Quality feeling interior 3. Cool tech features 4. Pretty good fuel economy for a 2.0 turbo pumping out 250+ HP/260 lb-ft of torque (I average about 26-27 mpg) 5. Only 7 months of ownership, but no major problems so far 6. Feels and looks way more expensive than what I paid for it. 7. I drive this car in eco mode a lot, but there's a noticeable difference in throttle response if I throw it into sport mode. If you want to have fun, that's the mode for you. 8. Great warranty 9. The genesis app that lets me remotely start/lock my car from anywhere. Cons 1. There is some issue with the sensors in front. Sometimes, when I'm driving and stopped in traffic, the front sensor will go off as if there was something moving in front of my car, but, really, it's just a car stopped in front of me. This happens randomly. If this gets addressed satisfactorily when I take my car in for servicing, my overall rating would go to 5 stars. 2. The back seat is cramped. BUT, adults do fit back there. My kids sit back there on occasion and they're 5'11" and 6'2". For a trip less than, say, 1 hour, it's ok. For a longer trip, if your rear seat passengers are around 6' or taller, they may want to kill themselves. 3. I'm fine with the 8" infotainment screen, but I sure would like that big monster they're putting in their cars now. 4. No specific Genesis dealership near me. I purchased my car at a Hyundai dealership. If they want to set themselves off as a high-end luxury brand, then you need to provide that level of service at a specific Genesis dealership. The one thing I can't comment on is the servicing of the vehicle, to include the pickup and car loaner feature they have. I have not taken my car in for servicing yet since I haven't put enough miles on it.

Ad
Build Your G70
At a Glance:
  • 9 Colors
  • 3 Trims
  • $36,000starting MSRP

Best daily driver you can get right now!

Big Brah, 12/22/2020
3.3T 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

If you are thinking about getting a G70, just do it!! You will not regret your decision, especially if you get the V6 3.3T Lambda engine. This car is fun, fast, and very well built. The craftsmanship and quality feel is amazing. Everything is real; if it looks like that material, it is that material, no fake stuff!! The engine and transmission is amazing. Although the engine is not a rev happy "over squared" design, it is ready at any notice to shoot up the RPMs and move. The Lambda V6 3.3T in this vehicle is by far one of the nicest engines I have driven. A lot of people complain about the 8-speed transmission being a little slow, but I think it shifts perfectly fine and crisp. The interior is built to last. If you don't require much, you will be perfectly at home with almost too much comfort. My favorite thing is the ventilated seats on sweaty days. My main focus of this review is how the G70 drives. As stated before, the engine has tons of power at any moment, is very responsive, and has tons of passing power/acceleration. No one will ride your butt in this car, just smash the gas and watch them disappear in the rear mirrors! It is amazing for highway travel. It hums at a low 1,500rpm @55mph, and about 1,800rpm @80mph. This engine will not scream at you for making it do its job. Not only is it a highway cruiser, but is super fun on the back roads. You almost always run out of real estate before you have to step on the brakes from accelerating (brakes are great too).I wouldn't say it has snap oversteer, but the front-end plows in first before you feel the rear slide out, so you can feel how hard you can push it. Maintenance is tricky, but doable. It requires 7.26qts of oil, which is a decent amount. But, if you are smart, you can get reasonably priced parts, as it is shares a lot of parts with Hyundai/Kia's. To change the oil, you have to remove some under panels, which is annoying, but reasonable. It does have a oil filter cartridge, no spin on type, not a huge fan of those. It also is pure GDI, so carbon build-up is possible on the valves. But with just those few complaints, everything is very accessible in the engine bay for a twin turbo V6. SUMMARY: You will mostly likely buy/lease this car and not want to let it go!

not a lux

George, 04/03/2021
2.0T 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

exterior ok! engine ok! good pick-up, interior cheeep plastic everywhere, screems hyunday!