Used 1999 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews

Used Windstar for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...30

Pros
Cons

Windstar - Maybe it will get you there

Nancy, 01/12/2007
SE 4dr Minivan

This van has been a total disappointment. We've had problem after problem, some of which left me stranded on the side of the road with my three kids in the car. Problems range from transmission to electrical to mechanical. Every problem that results in a visit to the Ford Service department takes days to fix. I bought the van because of the high safety rating - I didn't feel safe stuck in the breakdown down lane of I-95. I cheaped out and didn't buy the Toyota Sienna back in '99, I won't make the same mistake this time. I hear Ford is getting out of the minivan business due to lack of demand of minivans. They must mean lack of demand of their poorly built piece of garbage van.

MONEY PIT! PLEASE DONT BUY!

chicmama004, 01/30/2013
LX 3dr Minivan

My husband and I bought this car at 90k miles. We have had nothing but trouble! This car was well maintained with records but around 100k the engine light came on and would not go off no matter what the mechanic fixed. We had to replace the water pump, timing belt and then 5k miles later another water pump. It drains batteries very fast. The worst thing is that the automatic doors jammed and now won't open its to much money to replace them so my kids climb over the front seats to get in the back. The horn quit working also the power locks. Now my mechanic is telling be the freeze plugs need to be replaced and the engine will have to be pulled out. 800 dollars for 49 cent plugs. Horrid!

Never Again

Karen E, 11/30/2006
SE 4dr Minivan

Worst, most unreliable vehicle ever. We are looking at cars and won't even consider Ford after our Windstar experience. Nearing 50K miles needed new transmission. Interior lights and locks don't work properly. Noises galore. Check engine light perpetually on - need to clear this for third time at 60K. Clunky metal squeak from rear of car. Windshield cracked twice above rearview mirror which kept falling off. Tires went bald at 20K. Nightmare.

Do not buy

Meechie, 12/18/2015
SEL 4dr Minivan

When I firt purchased in March of 2010 I was excited. We had our 4th child, we needed the room. I purchased with 128,000 miles. First 6 months of owning caliper was sticking which cracked my rotor on front driver side. 2 weeks later the heat sensor went and the water pump along with power steering pump. I knew it's was a older vehicle so I wasn't expecting top notch condition. Only passenger side door unlock and lock when pressing the button, have to unlock and lock driver side doors manually. The driver sliding door keeps sticking so you have to keep putting oil on it or WD-40. I kept regular maintenance (oil changes, breaks etc.) Could never fix antifreeze leak, it would just leak in another spot. Seems like each time I turn around something else needed to be fixed. Each time I got the engine light off to get inspected if comes back on a month later for another issue so I gave up and just waited when it was time to renew the inspection. In 2011 experience signs of transmission failure. August of 2013 around 140,000 miles had head gasket replaced. February of 2014 transmission failed completely, replaced with another used transmission. The cluster instrument also goes hay wire I also had that replace and doing the same thing again. Emergency break never worked from the beginning and still don't. 2013 I had to replace the front frame that holds the transmission and engine due to it rusting out so bad, if i didn't the transmission would of fell on the ground, I talked to Ford but they said they can't do nothing about it. The van now has 146,000 miles on it. This is nothing but a money pit I would not recommend this vehicle to anybody. I wish I would of done my research but you live and learn. Not reliable at all, the only thing I can say I never was stranded I always got home when something went wrong.

Wouldn't buy another 99 Windstar!

Rachelle, 01/05/2016
SE 4dr Minivan

Bought the van from an elderly couple with only 128k. Seemed great at the time. The blinker for some reason whenever you'd turn on the left one would flash a light on the dash like a bulb was out (it wasn't). No mechanics could figure out the problem. The heater fan quit working. Developed some electrical problem with the dome lights so when your driving at night they'd just randomly come on and stay on or sometimes they'd strobe. The back passenger door quit opening from the inside and would only unlock whenever it decided to. When the door wouldn't unlock you could not do it manually so the kids would have to climb through. Then around 140k the head gasket started leaking and between 140k and 150k the tranny just blew. I am a Ford lover all the way but they totally FAILED with this vehicle!

12345...30