Used 1997 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Pretty good car
By madison77

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

My car is 14 years old and still running. Bought it used when it was 3 years old with 29,000 miles. It now has 123, something miles and still runs okay. I've experienced problems time to time. Typical for an older car. My car likes to leak fluids a lot and burns oil in the engine area not the exhaust since I try to keep on top of the oil resovoir. My car has a problem with the door jam sensor. When I get in the car and close the door the car door sensor thinks the door is still open when it actually is closed. To this day it still does it and it drives me nuts but I don't want to spend money on fixing this problem. Its not worth it. Car still has good acceleration. I hate the fuel milage.

I love the comfort of this car, especially in the back. For six speakers really good sound system. Not as good as my Mustang I used to have but second to best. Very spacious trunk. You can get lost in there, haha

Better fuel milage, I know this is a family car and fuel milage will be low but I think the camry has a little bit better fuel milage than this car and the camry is a family car. fix the leaky problems. My radiator is terrible with this. I have nothing but radiator problems when it comes to leaks. Oil leaks but not as bad as my radiator. Had my transmission leak fixed which is good. I've heard nightmare stories about transmissions going out in this car but to this day had not one problem with my transmission yet. I am praying it won't happen soon. I plan on keeping this car until it dies. Hopefully it will last me two more years.

Importance of Maintenance
By Richard

1997 Ford Taurus G 4dr Sedan

Bought new now have 112,000 miles. Has been excellent mechanically. Got 80,000 miles out of front brakes. Have changed oil 32 times, serviced trans 4 times, changed fuel filter 3 times, tuned it twice, replaced battery twice and I'm only on my third set of tires. Only major work 2 oxygen sensors. It's a great workhorse of a car. Not great fit and finish but it runs great. Goes like a bat out of h-e-double hockey sticks, excuse the language.

Column shifter, tach and no blind spots.

Deeper cup holders.

My get me where I am going buddy!
By Ms. Chicago

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car on a whim,, a week later I was thinking what have a done, however, its grown on me the drive is smooth, the design like a spaceship or something. I thought I am gonna sell soon, but as times going I wanna kept it! Its roomy and fun has a nice sound system and has cost me much in upkeep. I hope that continues. I already had family members offering to buy it when or if I plan to sell it.

I like the room and trunk space and the unique look. :-)!

Cup holders, needed to be deeper for safety of your drinks.

Extremely Reliable Daily Driver
By AdamB5000

1997 Ford Taurus G 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in April, 2001 with 28,186 miles. It now has 118,000+ miles in July of 2010. It's been mostly flawless. There have been a few repairs here and there, such as a brake line, ball joints, shocks, rotors, pads, etc, but most of this has been few and far between (minus the brakes!) and overall ownership cost has been very low. The brakes seem to be the only reoccurring problem. Rotors seem to get warped easily and I'm an easy braker. Seems they get replaced annually. I hate to sell this thing because it's so reliable but technically worth almost nothing. I don't want to sell a car that has been so reliable and will only get me back a couple grand at best.

Smooth ride, low ownership cost, and overall reliability.

Brakes wear quickly and wobble. Some electrical components failed (cruise control, rear defroster, etc). Some rust becoming apparent.

Solid car
By Tony

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 121,000 miles for 2100. I driven it hard for 2.5 years and now have 191000 miles on it. I have had no major problems with it. Only have had to replace water pump, coolant reservoir, alternator, and lost the a/c. It has been a very reliable car still getting 26mpg on the highway and never once not staring. Best car I've ever owned. I've also had a eclipse and a Corolla which i paid an alot more for, though they got better gas mileage, both had serious mechanical problems (lost an engine in the Corolla and an engine, trans, and axles in eclipse)and surprisingly not very reliable. I guess all manufacturers have lemons way not pay less for the chance at a good one.

CD changer, large trunk, roomy interior, very little road noise

headlights lenses, trans shifting, wind noise on highway