Used 1994 Ford Probe Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Probe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:

Hot 255cc
By Tom Raymond

1994 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I have had this car since it came out new in 1994. I have had to put an ignition module on it one time, change valve cover gaskets one time, put brake shoes on it twice and tires on it numerous times through the 22 years that I have owned it. It presently needs a new A/C clutch, it is rattling pretty badly and a gvr valve cleaned out because it sets a check engine light but seems to have no other bad effects from it. The ABS brakes have been disconnected because they eventually started setting the check engine light and I don't like ABS anyway. I now have 127,000 miles on it. Mine has the 5 speed manual transmission, GT model with the ground effects trim. It has the 152 cid (2500cc) engine that would run with the best of them when new and will still get up and go on command. When new, I tried it out once and it would do 135 mph of the 140 mph on the speedometer. It still starts readily and takes me anywhere I need to go. The car is light weight and tires seem to get hard long before they are worn out. I don't remember ever wearing a set of tires out on the car. It handles great out on the road and steering and acceleration is very responsive. I'm 74 now and still enjoy the car although it is getting harder for me to get in and out of it since it sits so low. The car has so much glass that it will work the A/C on a hot day to keep it cool but will get the job done. As it has aged, it has developed the normal rattles, squeeks and other noises but they still aren't that bad, or I'm just getting deaf enough that I don't hear it anymore. The paint has held up great & all door/window seals are still sealed well. The seating is adequate but not made for long hauls (400 -500 miles). The seats will start getting uncomfortable after about 200 miles for a person weighing about 130#.

Still styling 22 years later!
By Mike's94

1994 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car with 60,000 miles on it in 2006, have put another 50,000 miles on in the last 10 years. Has been a blast, granddaddy of the Ford/Mazda G platform that lives on in the Fusion, Edge, Mazda6, etc, and obvious front end styling resembling the 1gen Miata. Handling on the car is great, comfort with the GT class is good and until the last 3 or 4 years in which technology has taken off for safety and convenience features, there were few new cars of this size that I considered a significant upgrade to this one.

Since passed down to my son who is enjoying it immensely. It is a 22 year old car though, and things wear out, parts become more scarce, and ownership becomes more challenging.

Its been a great ride though, Thanks Ford/Mazda!

great car
By gtdagame

1994 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

this is my second ford probe my first was a 1997 and had to get another one. the 1994 is much more economical and smaller. love it. great design, gas mileage, comfort, etc. all around a great car

Crappiest Car ever
By jennyfly09

1994 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

I bought a 1994 Ford Probe the middle of last year and I'm sorry to say but this is the worst car that I have ever seen. Within a month, I had to pay 1600 to get the transmission rebuilt. To this day, I've paid at least over 2300 dollars in repairs and it still needs repairs done to it. I've read the other reviews here about their probes and they were the lucky ones but I honestly will most likely never buy another Ford again because this one completely ruined it for me. The car was only owned by one other person and she had similar issues with it so i highly doubt its the age because she took care of it, fixed it when it needed to be.

the only features i like is the cd player thats brand new because the last owner had to replace it and i like the fact that the car looks pretty decent

Put more work into building the car, inside and out, don't build it halfway and do a high quality job because honestly, Ive made 2300 dollars in repairs in less than a year and in my opinion thats just ridiculous.

My '94 Probe SE
By Jamie

1994 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

My husband bought me this car a couple of weeks ago, and so far I love it. It has 137,000 miles on it but has been maintained very well. I have had no problems at all with rust on the sunroof or anywhere else. All electronics in the car still work including the electric sunroof and windows and keyless entry and also the A/C and heater.. It's fun to drive and fast enough (though it could be a lot faster). It gets decent gas mileage but it drinks a lot if you have to drive mountains. The exterior is beautiful, garage kept (where it'll stay). It doesn't look like a 1994 model car and I think if maintained well I can get 100,000+ more miles out of the car.

The seats are horrible at first, but once you get settled in them they aren't too bad on a trip. Better be a small adult or a child to ride in the backseat.