2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fusion Hybrid model:

Great Hybrid
By W Brock

2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

First hybrid I have owned and I love it! It feels close to being a luxury car. Gas mileage is nearly 45mpg the way I’m driving it. The only negative, if there is one, is that I have to grow accustomed to the acceleration. It is a bigger car so in EV it’s understandable that it isn’t as quick off the line as I’m used to with a gas engine car.

Ford Fusion Platinum
By Dan

2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Sedan Platinum 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We loved our 2015 Titanium until a drunk totaled it. It protected my wife well. So it wasn’t much of a question of what to replace it with, 2017 Ford Fusion Platinum.

"Don't Help Me"
By V. M. Singer

2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The technological assistance provided by this "demon" car is disconcerting. The push-button and rotary attachments are unnecessary. Perhaps it is a help to those who are impaired in some way, but the seriously impaired should not be behind the wheel. While I had this car for 2 days, I had to rely on the drivers' manual to figure out how to operate the vehicle. I don't need new gadgets that complicate the simple driving process.

Great car... did i get a lemon?
By Lyall Barbour

2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Car is living up to the articles, reviews, hybrid abilities. Ride is nice, the switching between motor and engine is smooth. Regenerative brakes, engine cutoff at stop lights, and other energy saving features work fine. Where our experience goes awry has been with the actual problems with the computer and also minor quality issues. First, about a month after owning it, the car would not start. All emergency lights, engine light, red Start Button light had come on and the car needed to be towed. The Service department at the dealer "updated the software" and was fixed for a few months. The car then had a instance where multiple emergency lights flashed again while my wife was driving this time, and the car told her to pull over and then shutdown. She was able to start it and we have our yearly checkup coming on friday so this event will be brought up. Second, the car has the safety windows that roll up automatically. The "Safety" part is if something (someone) is blocking the window from rolling all the way up, it automatically roles back down. The passenger one does the safety part, when nothing is blocking it. We've tried to reset it ourselves, hasn't helped. The Service department has also, and worked for a day or two. Summary would be, good car, glad we leased it, because the cutting edge is always dangerous.

Luxury hybrid for $1000's less
By David M.

My previous car was a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE with safety options. In 4 year, I put over 80K miles on that car, averaging 44mpg over the entire period of ownership. It was practically a no-brainer when it came time to replace it, to get another Fusion Hybrid. Before making the purchase, I compared it to the Accord Hybrid, Sonata Hybrid, Malibu Hybrid and Camry Hybrid. After all of the shopping, there was no question in my mind which vehicle to buy - the Fusion Hybrid. I didn't care for the blind spot camera system in the Accord; the Sonata's fuel economy was nowhere near as good as the Fusion; the build quality and the styling of the Malibu was far below the other cars tested; and the interior of the Camry was noticeably poor compared to the Fusion. This year (2017), Ford has added the Platinum trim. This trim is all-inclusive - the only options available on this vehicle were inflatable rear seatbelts, upgraded trunk mats, and I believe optional rims. Standard equipment included premium leather quilted seats, navigation, blind spot monitors, self-parking (parallel AND vertical spaces), leather wrapped steering wheel and leather dashboard, lane departure system, rear camera, adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go (a fantastic feature if you drive in traffic!), Apple Play, spoiler, full LED headlights and taillights, and the list goes on. This is all for approximately $37K before Ford incentives and rebates. In addition, I got 0% financing, and FULL KBB value on the trade-in on my 2013 with 80K miles! I also drove this car back-to-back with a Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, and there was little difference in the quality of the ride between them, but I found the interior of the Fusion to be superior. The ride is quiet and controlled, there is little road noise, and the handling is outstanding. Back seats could be a little larger, but they are fine for anyone less than about 6' or so. Acceleration is fine under all situations except for maybe stoplight drag racing. But if you want to drive like that, you'd be better off getting the Fusion V-6 Sport instead. I have put about 7,500 miles on the car since Dec 2016, and so far am averaging 42mpg, a little below my 2013, but still outstanding. If you are looking for a luxurious, comfortable, reliable and economical sedan with exceptional styling, look no further than the 2017 Fusion Hybrid Platinum.
*** UPDATE TO REVIEW *** 11/12/2017 ***
My 2017 Fusion Hybrid developed a serious issue with the electrical system. The car kept
going into “Deep Sleep Mode”, usually occurring if the car is left idle for more than 14 days. Each occurrence required roadside assistance to come and jump start the vehicle. I was just lucky it never happened on a day when I had an appointment. In late July, after the 6th time the car went into Deep Sleep, I initiated a Lemon Law claim with Ford, who reviewed my repair record, and sent a hybrid specialist to evaluate my vehicle. They provided me with a free rental for the eight weeks that it took to process my claim.
The second week of September, I took possession of a brand new Platinum Hybrid, the exact same model as the one it replaced. Every cent I paid towards the original was applied, and my 0% APR loan continued with the balance carried over.
Any car can fail, we all stand the chance of getting a “lemon”, but how the manufacturer responds is what makes the difference for me. Ford acted honorably, and treated me with respect throughout the process. The replacement vehicle has about 8500 trouble free miles so far, I am maintaining about 43.5 mpg, but I believe this will improve as the miles accumulate.
When I am ready to replace this vehicle, Ford will remain at the top of my list, not only because of the vehicle itself, but because of the company behind the vehicle.