Used 2012 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 293 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Started out as a terrific car
By Kevin Dixon

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Started out as a terrific car, we bought our 2012 focus sel hatch in 2014. We do oil changes religously, use pea additive 1x month, and use quality gas. In 2016 the trans kept over heating backing up 50feet, then no reverse. Dealer replaced trans mod n/c. Then june 2018 i bought an obd2 scan tool as the service engine light came on... P0301 cyl 1 misfire. New coils, new plugs, deleted code. Po301 back on and running rough. Injectors? Not pulling intake. Added gumout with pea... a week later after adding 93 octane mobil, light added pea every fill. Ghost code now present. Could not find a code but light on. Updated scantool . Still no code light on. Disconnected neg terminal of battery and applied a jumper from + to - cables. All ok. For 5 miles. Ghost code on and off. Picked up cam and crank sensor but before installing them, i traded car in on 2016 awd trax

Captivating commuter car
By Mercedes Flores

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

This car is amazing. It’s a perfect car for city commute and is amazing for a first car as well. It had all the features I needed as well as comfort for me and my husband. Any more than two people in the car can make it very tight, but as I mentioned it’s great for commuting back-and-forth to work or school. It’s done it’s job and is extremely cost effective with repairs, maintenance and fuel. It was worth the price I pairs for it used. The resale value is not the best, by is worth it to me in the long run

Too many issues
By J

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

The best part of having the SEL version was the entertainment system; the speakers were great, and I had a large touchscreen. The leather seats were a plus as well. The worst part is the issues I had to deal with. The shifting was horrible. Every time I accelerated, the car jumped several times. The motor also gave out on me at 80,000 miles. I had an extended full warranty, so I was able to fix those with it. The car had a few other issues (noises) that I didn’t have a chance to diagnose before selling the car because I was just tired of it.

Great little car
By william ahrens

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

After Owning this car for five years and over 90,000 miles, I can say that this is a great little car. For the most part, I’ve only ever done regular servicing. Th one problem I had was with the transmission seals. They were replaced under warranty and that’s about it. My only complaint is the cloth trim on the doors comes loose after a few years and the only way to fix it is to either replace the door panel or pay a custom upholstery shop to fix it. The bulk of people that buy this car thinking it’s an automatic don’t understand it’s actually an automated manual and because it has a clutch and drives like a stick, you have to learn to control the throttle like you’re driving a stick. Once you figure this out the car is completely smooth with no jerking or hesitation.

Dont even think about it.
By Panos

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Huge issues with the transmission. FORD will make the recalls but nothing further up. I had to replace my gearbox with a used one at only 78.000khm. Didnt ven made it for 100.000khm! STAY AWAY!