Used 2012 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 289 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Great little car
By william ahrens

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

After Owning this car for five years and over 90,000 miles, I can say that this is a great little car. For the most part, I’ve only ever done regular servicing. Th one problem I had was with the transmission seals. They were replaced under warranty and that’s about it. My only complaint is the cloth trim on the doors comes loose after a few years and the only way to fix it is to either replace the door panel or pay a custom upholstery shop to fix it. The bulk of people that buy this car thinking it’s an automatic don’t understand it’s actually an automated manual and because it has a clutch and drives like a stick, you have to learn to control the throttle like you’re driving a stick. Once you figure this out the car is completely smooth with no jerking or hesitation.

Dont even think about it.
By Panos

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Huge issues with the transmission. FORD will make the recalls but nothing further up. I had to replace my gearbox with a used one at only 78.000khm. Didnt ven made it for 100.000khm! STAY AWAY!

Major repairs
By Linda

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Steering went out while driving down the road when the car was 3 years old...$2,000 to fix. Transmission goes out 2 years later for $2,800, Never missed oil change and well-maintained. Never buying a Ford again.

Fun to drive great gas mileage
By John C.

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Do not expect the automatic duel cluth transmission to act like a traditional automatic transmission. This is where Ford failed with this car. Ford should have informed buyers with the duel cluth transmission that it's a computer controlled, servo motor engaged manual transmission and only automatic in the since the driver didn't have to shift the gears. I had my 2012 focus from new till 170k miles. I did have the clutch packs and seals replaced under warranty at 68k miles because it was starting to shutter on take off. I had no further issue with the transmission. I did have to replace something with the EGR system at 150k miles it was 60 bucks from the dealer and I replaced it my self. I performed all my own maintenance fluids and brakes. Replaced the factory installed brakes around 80k miles and the second set just before I sold it. These vehicles do come with in cabin air filters that have to be replaced regularly. The performance of the vehicle was pretty slick. It was quick and nimble. My gas mileage on long trips was anywhere from 58mpg at 55MPH to 38 to 42 at 75 depending on the hills and mountains. In West Virginia around slatyfork and snow shoe if I drove like a local My mileage would drop to below 20 MPG. These folks drove like Indy car divers. My focus Never left me stranded and was fun to drive. Always Started on the first turn off the key regardless if it was below 0° or 100+ degrees. By the way I bought a 2017 focus hatchback. It's just as fun as my 2012 was.

Un reliable worst car ever
By Cindy

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Don't buy one of these purchased two weeks ago and now needs a new clutch has automatic transmission but has manual clutch system and found out this is the second clutch that has been put in this vehicle so at 77000 miles u need another