Used 2006 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 159 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Can't decide if bad luck or a lemon
By Sfpeter

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car in 2010 with 36,000 miles on it. Despite having more horsepower than my previous Mercury Tracer it was noticeably slower unless I really punched it. I sold it in late 2017 with 124,000 miles on it, and in that time it was a new automatic transmission, brakes, two sets of tires, oil pan (screw stripped), engine mounts, two batteries, right front wheel bearing, right axle seal, new shocks and struts, and at the end it was broken cables on the A/C vent and a failing blower motor. Some things like the new shocks/struts were worn out in less than 20K miles but may have been the place I took it to, while the rest was the car. By the end I was financing so many repair costs it was like another payment. I bought another new Focus in 2017 but if it gives me trouble also this will be my last Ford.

Good dependable car
By mike

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Currently have 290,000 miles on my car that I bought used in 2007. I average between 28mpg winter and 31mpg summer. It was an Ebay rebuilt wreck purchased from pictures only and I have been happy with this car for the past 10 years. Original engine and transmission although the engine has been making a idle ticking noise for the past 100,000 miles. Oil changes every 5,000 miles with cheap oil, whatever is on sale. Alternator went out at 250,000 miles, fairly cheap to repair yourself but difficult to remove. Center console broke but repaired broken plastic stops with epoxy putty. Rear driver wheel bearing go out at 100,000 and every 50,000 after that. Finally had the rear passenger wheel bearing go at 200,000. Radiator replaced at 60,000 because screws came loose on the fan which then cut into the radiator, possibly from the rebuilt front end from the wreck. Easy to replace the radiator yourself as with most cars. Major annoyance is the a/c is intermittent because the a/c clutch needs repaired but that didn't happen until 250,000 miles. Also, the air deflector switch gets stuck. The floor flap door gets stuck in the open/close position. The switch seems to be a common issue so watch for that issue. Easy to replace but it will break again if you don't fix the sticky flap. Seat fabric is holding up well even after so many miles. Has some squeaks and road noise that you would expect from an entry level car. Good power and good reliability.

Unstoppable!
By Matt R.

2006 Ford Focus ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Car just keeps on going, and without a bit of trouble. Keep in mind that my review is based on the fact that this is an entry level Ford, not a Lexus. I bought this Focus new and have had to put very little money into it. Brakes, tires and the usually maintenance items are all readily available and very affordable. Some rust showing around the antenna on the roof (might become a problem) and a few other places, but 10 Michigan winters and salt on the roads will do that. Speaking of snow, this little front wheel drive car does incredibly well. Definitely a good choice for a beginning driver if budget is a consideration.

Original owner, bought new in 2006
By Peter Buchwald Buchwald

2006 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Has been a excellent inexpensive reliable basic auto.

Extremely reliable
By Marion A.

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my 2006 Focus for 4 yrs now. Bought it from a friend (he was the first owner) with 77k miles on it. It's now at 130k and still runs like a champ. Only major repairs I've had to invest in is changing out 2 of the engine mounts early on into me owning it (I blame my friend because he likes to push ANY car to its absolute limits. This is NOT the car for that) and changing the lower control arm on the driver's side (got hit by an out of control tire bouncing all over the highway). Other than that I do regular maintenance on my car and have my mechanic look it over every so often to catch anything that I might not notice. This car is absolutely perfect. I do have an aftermarket Bluetooth/Entertainment system installed so I can't say anything about the original system. And I do find it to be a teenie bit sluggish when going up a steep hill/highway (I have to floor it to stay above 55 mph) but that's not really much of a problem for me since I live in L.A. and we have pretty straight pavement here. Maneuvers well, accelarates/brakes well, great on gas, trunk space is pretty spacious. Overall, this car has been an absolute dream.