Used 2004 Ford F-350 Super Duty SuperCab Consumer Reviews

$15,786

Used F-350 Super Duty for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

diesel 6.0

woodnindian, 04/15/2004
4dr SuperCab XLT Rwd LB DRW (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Bad fuel mileage iget 12.4 mpg with the new 6.0 diesel.This is with a 3.73 rear end.

110% reliable

Ryan, 05/01/2020
4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD LB DRW (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

We bought our 2004 Powerstroke in Nov 2015 with 112k miles on it. I did the research and went ahead and had the oil cooler replaced with the revised factory unit (egr had already been deleted). At that time, a coolant filter was installed. This resulted in perfect delta between coolant and oil even when towing. I added an Edge CTS monitor time keep an eye on all the important readings. Having this monitor helped me discover the high pressure oil pump was beginning to fail around 150k miles. That same monitor also told me the turbo was sticking. We paid around $10k for this truck in 2015. As I write this review in 2020, our truck has 180k miles and runs/looks like new. All of the revisions (hpop, oil cooler, turbo drain back, blue spring, rebuild front suspension, replace all four driver side injectors) total around $6k over the last five years. That’s $16k for a truck that looks and runs like new. It pulls our 13k pound fifth wheel with ease. A new truck with the exact same equipment would cost well over $60k. Newer trucks have the headache of secondary cooling systems, DPF, and a bunch of other emissions equipment that can and will cause a headache down the road. Our truck has none of that and gets 18-19 mpg on the highway. Newer trucks don’t get that kind of mpg. And, yes, our head gaskets are original and perfectly intact because we don’t have a tuner. Adding a tuner to a 6.0 Powerstroke is fine but you’ll need to have the heads “studded” to compensate for the extra heat/pressure. We love our truck and have no plans to go spend $950 a month on a new one.

Problem with 6.0 Repeats Itself

F350 Overheats, 03/15/2007
4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Overheating problem is persistent and common with 6.0 diesel motor. Three times the EGR cooler and Oil Cooler went bad. Three sets of headgaskets in first 100K miles. Coolant is always low because it loses it. This condition runs rampant in this motor. Ford will do nothing to determine or fix the root cause of the problem. Nor will they offer alternate transportation. Three year old truck has spent two months of that time in the repair shop. Ford considers this acceptable and they do nothing to compensate for lost time without work truck.

Not Reliable at any price

lariat 4x4, 12/11/2006
4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this vehicle based upon the advertising in magazines about the towing capacity of the Ford F-350. I purchased the 4x4 Offroad, Lariat, Turbo Diesel. Since I have owned it, it has had the engine light on constantly and a whining noise when I go up a hill exhibiting no energy. Multiple visits to the dealership have not corrected the problem. Finally, this past summer, it " blew off " the turbo charge while I was pulling the horse trailer, on 4 separate occasions. It has been repaired on all occasions. And as Ford corporate states, " the vehicle has been fixed, Ford has met its obligation." Well I have a terminally ill vehicle and would not recommend a Ford Turbo diesel to anyone.

First Deisel - - It's Great

Gary Waren, 08/29/2016
4dr SuperCab Lariat Rwd LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I have driven it less than a 1,000 miles and I am very pleased with the performance and comfort of the vehicle. I am looking forward to pulling our 35 foot trailer and seeing how it performs. I have now driven my F-350 about 12,000 miles with most from towing a 35ft RV. I am extreemly pleased with the overall performance. Towing mpg is about 11-12 and non-towing is 20 mpg. The uphill towing is great. I have no complaints except for the engine noise. I have gotten used to it on the highway and don't ever think about the noise. In town, it is louder than most vehicles. I think Ford fixed the noise on the newer models. I hope to keep this gem for several years because I am very happy with it when I am towing the RV. Loaded, the RV weighs about 10,000 lbs. I haven't gone up a grade pulling my RV that I couldn't increase my speed if I wanted to. That's really good. That's not like my previous vehicle because I could floorboard it and lose speed down to 30 mph and have to endure the pokey climb up the slope and still have my engine overheat.