Used 1997 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews

Used F-150 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
1...56789...26

Pros
Cons

Built Ford Tough

nascar_nfl, 11/24/2009
XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I purchased this truck new in 1997 and it has held up great ever since. I now have almost 190,000 on this truck and it runs perfect. I have installed lots of aftermarket parts to the truck and have always taken care of it. I live in the Mountains of Southern West Virginia so this truck sees alot of road salt during the winter but still has no rust. I take this thing off roading alot to and it NEVER gets stuck and Ihave been in some deep mud and water. The interior has plenty of romm and I am 6'3". It is also stylish and has good sound from the speakers. Built Ford Tough!!!

4.2 engine a bust

Disappointed, 04/13/2010
2dr Regular Cab LB

I purchased this vehicle not even a yr ago, had been driving Fords for over 20 yrs with my job. But will never again purchase a Ford product until they make a engine that is reliable again. What a disappointment. Ford, you can do better or else stand by your product. 4.2 liter engine a bust.

Love my F-150

bassmax, 06/04/2008
XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Bought my truck with 8,000 since it was in a trade in on a new one at the end of 97. I have 135,000 on it and the only problem was a leak in the rear window which I fixed with silicon. Front end parts sqweek when turning and other than normal wear and tear, that is it. Always change oil at 3-4,000 and filters. My biggest con is not having disc brakes in the rear (which they did in 98). I would buy another Ford pick up. I like Toyota Tundra's but for the extra money, I am not sure it is worth the difference. After 43 years of driving, this is my first Ford. They did good for me.

Super truck

JRaney, 06/26/2008
XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I purchased my truck used in 01 and have owned it for 6 years and all I have done is maintenance and changed the tranny fluid 2x. My truck always starts and runs great. My father in law has an 05 Silverado with a 5.3L and we always use my truck for heavy loads because they crush his suspension and all I have is the 4.6L. All I wish was better fuel mileage but the truck is almost bulletproof and the 4x4 system is great. All it needs is a locking rear differential.

Fix Or Repair Daily

bigruss, 10/25/2008
XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I have a 1997 F-150 XLT 4x4 with approx 165000 mi, ran well when just bought but developed a heavy cylinder misfiring issue. This is common with many F-150s especially the 4.6L V-8. I had to take the truck into the shop 3 times to fix the issue and the cause still cannot be diagnosed today. It is still misfiring! I do know that I have to keep changing my spark plugs which are almost impossible to gain access to. The total cost of repairs on this issue is now near $500. Another issue with this F-150 is the 4 wheel drive system. It mal-engages and a I hear a big BOOM underneath the cab. I engage it normally by setting it in neutral and then switching it. Ford must improve their quality!

1...56789...26