Used 1997 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews

Used F-150 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...26

Pros
Cons

Made to last

zee, 07/31/2010
XLT 3dr Extended Cab LB

It's been a great truck, turned 218,000 miles, just regular maintenance. Well it finally left me on the road. Not trucks fault, differential ran dry. I been taking it to NTB for regular changes and they never checked it. Shame on them. I am having it fixed. 4.6 L engine keep on purring !

Loved my Alice!

Jamie, 10/09/2017
Lariat 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I bought my f150 used, 20 years old, with 313,000 miles on it when I bought her. The only real problem I had was with the multifunction switch wore harnesses. I didn't get to finish fixing that before someone hit me last week and totaled her. Had I been in any other vehicle, or not had the grill guard it would have been way worse. My truck basically hugged us and kept us from being seriously injured. Even with as many miles as she had, 340,000 at the time of her death, she was the most dependable, comfortable vehicle I have ever owned. I would not hesitate to take her anywhere! Awesome truck!!

LOVE MY TRUCK

josh, 02/28/2010
XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned a 2000 Silverado before my ford . The only thing i miss is the Eton Locker in the rear and the AUTO 4WD. This truck gets GREAT MPG i hand calculated it at 22 mpg! that was at 65 mph and 295/85R16 BFGoodrich all terrians and the A/C on!!. my favorite part is the sound it has a mean growl in the exhaust that makes all other trucks wet there oil pans!!!. Also the engine in it is a 4.6 TRITON. I LOVE IT!!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Pull's like a dream i regularly pull 4 Big polaris quads on a 15 foot trailer.

Want the truth?

Blake, 05/03/2016
XL 3dr Extended Cab LB

I have a '97 XL Extended cab 3-door, with a 4.2L V-6, 5-speed manual transmission, and 2WD. This is a good truck, with just a couple of exceptions. Unless it has been repaired or replaced in the truck you're looking at, beware of the 1997 4.2-liter V-6. This engine was initially built with a too-thin intake manifold gasket, which caused many of these engines to leak coolant into the #1 cylinder. The resulting hydro-lock caused many of these engines to grenade at around 100,000 miles (ranging from as low as 60K to 140K), and send pistons, rods, etc., through the block or oil pan. HOWEVER, if the gasket has been replaced with the updated one, or if the long block has been replaced after a blown engine, then these engines are totally reliable and powerful. I bought mine at 114,000 miles with a new long block, and at 182,000 miles it runs perfectly. Mine is a little spare in 'creature comforts,' but it's a truck. PS, PB, tilt wheel, cruise, but otherwise cloth bench seats, vinyl flooring, and an adequate sound system. It has the tow package, with hitch, trailer brake, and both 4- and 7-pin connectors. Mine also has a bed liner and matching cap. The truck tows beautifully, with only one real concern- the extended-cab is so long and the front wheels located so far to the front of the truck, that this mandates small, gentle steering inputs to prevent 'sphincter-slamming' yaw and veering one way or the other. You learn quickly to use an easy touch. Estimates for gas mileage are at best, laughable. Mine ranges from 12 in the city to as high as 14 highway... tops. Period. And yes, the engine was properly run-in; I did it myself. Got the truck with only 600 miles on this engine. Doesn't leak or burn a drop of oil or coolant, and is as dependable as any vehicle I've ever owned. I love this truck, and I do not plan to replace it. Ever.

F150 Can't go wrong!

Michigan trucker, 12/03/2010
XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased my F150 with just under 100,000 miles on it it now has 126,000. No problems to report. This truck is the nicest one i have owned. I always buy used and have been wrong in my choice a couple of times. This purchase was not one of them. The style and motor/transmission combo is great. the interior is well designed with room to spare. Seating is big like you would expect in a truck but it is also comfortable. The rear bench is has good leg room but really its not where any adult wants to sit for a long trip but it is prefect for the kids or the dog. I would highly suggest a F150 with this motor its is excellent. No rust after all these years!

12345...26