Used 1997 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews

Used F-150 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...26

Pros
Cons

)ver all GREAT TRUCK

Scott, 10/15/2015
2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Very fuel effishent and does what it should do for a truck of this size, and will even do what it shoud'nt beable to do. I have polled a trailer with 4000lbs of wood with another 1000lbs of wood in the back and have towed it 50mi with alot of up hill and it did slow on the hills but for the amount of weight I was moveing it does awsome and it has never let me down yet.

1997 F150 4x4 Short bed Exteded cab Lariat

Donald, 05/13/2016
Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is a great truck... was bought new at kendall ford in eugene oregon.. and was handed down to me with 165K miles and now its pushing 240K miles and still runs and drives great... has stock motor and its on second auto trans.. this truck is fantastic.. ive owned ford chevy and dodge pickups and this one is by far the most reliable and great driving truck..

Won me over

Martin, 04/15/2019
4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Since Edmunds doesn't have a choice for anything older than 01, thats as early as I can go. Our F150 is a 97. I've been an old school Dodge fan since a boy... but after a snowmageddon event in 09, we needed a 4x4 my wife could easily drive... and we can afford. At the time we had and still do have a very modified LUV 4x4 on a Wagoneer chassis. It's a fun toy but a hub froze up and we needed to get to a funeral. Thankfully our road finally got plowed and we got out in our PT... Then the following March a dealer friend called. "I have a blue 4x4 with 88,000 miles, it's clean, well maintained, and I'll make you a deal on it." I told my wife and we decided to go look at it... he didn't tell me it was a Ford. We test drove it, and I was blown away... even after taking it on a gravel road in 4hi... and we were sold! Ten years later we just rolled 103,000 on it being our "2nd car." But when needed it's never failed us. From 1000 mile road trips, to moving friends and family, to hauling premix and lumber, to going on dump runs, to camp outs, to more snomageddons... it's never failed us. It's biggest challenge was to get us 40 miles in 4lo to make our Canal cruise. We left right at the beginning of another snomageddon two years ago. Except where we live we get heavy ice too.. so it was 4 wheeling at its worst as the busted up ice shook us to pieces and wore my wife's arms out (I can't drive). Semis were backed up twenty miles and much snazzier lifted 4 bys were spun out along the highway. With no chains and going slow, we got to her mom's... and from there the kids got us to the airport the next morning in thier 98 Expedition. Disaster averted. As for reliability in spite of the scary Triton spark plug stories; we've had no engine, tranny, or diff issues. The only things replaced were the A/C compressor, 4x4 solenoids, the front calipers, pads and rotors; and one cut tire last summer and fall. We do the usual maintenence and the truck still proves out to be Ford tough. We just bought a small travel trailer and the truck doesn't know its there. MPG is nuts... it's better than our PT was on the highway. I think the 295's have a little to do with it. Plus we run them at 40 psi instead of Ford's dangerous 'exploder' psi's. The interior is still in great shape and there's nary a rattle on road. The only complaint is the stereo... like how many buttons do you need? But a trip to Car Toys will fix that. Our F150 won me over and we'll keep it until it's time to pass it down.. great truck!

Original Owner, Great Value Truck

Bad da Bingg, 02/13/2009
XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought the 4.6 L V8 4x4 XLT when our kids were just small enough to fit easily in the extended cab. Now that they're grown and gone, the truck keeps on doing truck duty. Those are boat hauling, camping, motorcycle transport and skiing. This truck has needed brakes and shocks but nothing else beyond routine maintenance. I look at newer trucks and laugh at the pricing and fuel efficiency, my truck still compares nicely.

Best truck I ever had

Steve, 03/10/2010
XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I had to replace my exhaust manifold as soon as I bought it. It was the poor quality factory bolts. I put in 2 starters, the 1st replacement starter was bad. I get oil on the spark plug nearest the passenger side firewall. That causes my idiot light to come on and stay on. Having said all of that it is still the best truck in every way I have ever owned.

12345...26