Used 1997 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

First Ford & Best truck yet
By Denny

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Got my 97 Ford F-150 regular cab short bed in on trade and was hesitant about it because ive never owned a Ford before (CHEVY GUY) but im so glad i did because its been the best truck ive had yet..i drive it way over 100 miles a day to and from work and its never broken down or left me stranded..the triton 4.6l v8 is strong and tough, it uses a little gas while passing everything on the hwy going 80mph but once im home I drive it easy and gets 20mpg easy..had 169,000 when i got it but I drive it everyday and between oil changes it uses a half quart of mobile 1 full synthetic oil and thats not bad for a 97 model with high mileage..i never do nothing to it other than put gas in it and it goes and goes, it has no rust, new interior, remote control stereo system with amp and speaker box and bedliner with a toolbox and I love it..like I said, its bullet proof, the motor and tranny is strong and if it ever tears up on me I couldn't complain because ive only got $1500 in it and it's seen its fair share of work and I'll never put another Ford down again...theres good ones and bad ones in all of them, mostly depends on how theyre kept up and how theyre treated so if your buying one be sure to find out as much as possible from previous owners because I can tell u everything about mine..all I can say is if your thinking of getting one and it's been kept up maintenance wise you can't go wrong..i love mine and plan on keeping it

Loved my Alice!
By Jamie

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I bought my f150 used, 20 years old, with 313,000 miles on it when I bought her. The only real problem I had was with the multifunction switch wore harnesses. I didn't get to finish fixing that before someone hit me last week and totaled her. Had I been in any other vehicle, or not had the grill guard it would have been way worse. My truck basically hugged us and kept us from being seriously injured. Even with as many miles as she had, 340,000 at the time of her death, she was the most dependable, comfortable vehicle I have ever owned. I would not hesitate to take her anywhere! Awesome truck!!

A great full size truck
By Daniel

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab LB

I went to ford and don't see myself going back! 4.6 liter engine in this truck sounds great and is known to be a famous engine. Interior and quality surpasses the Chevy products I've had. Very smooth ride and well worth getting an older model to save a little money. The 4.2 v6 and 5.4 v8 are also available, but I have heard they had more frequent problems than the 4.6. Then again you mainly read reviews from only Unsatisfied buys.

1997 F150 4x4 Short bed Exteded cab Lariat
By Donald

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is a great truck... was bought new at kendall ford in eugene oregon.. and was handed down to me with 165K miles and now its pushing 240K miles and still runs and drives great... has stock motor and its on second auto trans.. this truck is fantastic.. ive owned ford chevy and dodge pickups and this one is by far the most reliable and great driving truck..

Want the truth?
By Blake

1997 Ford F-150 XL 3dr Extended Cab LB

I have a '97 XL Extended cab 3-door, with a 4.2L V-6, 5-speed manual transmission, and 2WD. This is a good truck, with just a couple of exceptions. Unless it has been repaired or replaced in the truck you're looking at, beware of the 1997 4.2-liter V-6. This engine was initially built with a too-thin intake manifold gasket, which caused many of these engines to leak coolant into the #1 cylinder. The resulting hydro-lock caused many of these engines to grenade at around 100,000 miles (ranging from as low as 60K to 140K), and send pistons, rods, etc., through the block or oil pan. HOWEVER, if the gasket has been replaced with the updated one, or if the long block has been replaced after a blown engine, then these engines are totally reliable and powerful. I bought mine at 114,000 miles with a new long block, and at 182,000 miles it runs perfectly.
Mine is a little spare in 'creature comforts,' but it's a truck. PS, PB, tilt wheel, cruise, but otherwise cloth bench seats, vinyl flooring, and an adequate sound system. It has the tow package, with hitch, trailer brake, and both 4- and 7-pin connectors. Mine also has a bed liner and matching cap.
The truck tows beautifully, with only one real concern- the extended-cab is so long and the front wheels located so far to the front of the truck, that this mandates small, gentle steering inputs to prevent 'sphincter-slamming' yaw and veering one way or the other. You learn quickly to use an easy touch.
Estimates for gas mileage are at best, laughable. Mine ranges from 12 in the city to as high as 14 highway... tops. Period. And yes, the engine was properly run-in; I did it myself. Got the truck with only 600 miles on this engine. Doesn't leak or burn a drop of oil or coolant, and is as dependable as any vehicle I've ever owned. I love this truck, and I do not plan to replace it. Ever.