Used 2016 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews

Used Explorer for Sale
Select your model:
12345...26

Pros
Cons

Nice vehicle...but oh, those seats!

paul dekoekkoek, 11/16/2015
Platinum 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Full disclosure--I'm reviewing based on a week traveling with this as a rental vehicle as sort of an extended test drive before making an expensive purchase! Maybe this won't get published as a result and interpret accordingly. I've read all the online reviews of the 2016 model, looked at all the specs, compared to several other competing models that I've researched and test driven, and had some extended seat time before arriving at my conclusions. Disregard required ratings for things that can only be evaluated with months and years of ownership time like reliability, maintenance costs, etc. under the "Reliability" and "Value" categories. Overall, this is a great vehicle and I understand why many people ultimately decide to purchase one. It has the combination of luxury, styling, technology and performance that's hard to beat. The turbo v6 is a treat and I averaged 22-23mpg across over 500 miles of driving 70-75mph. City mileage in true urban/suburban traffic leaves a bit to be desired as I was more in the 12-14mpg range then, though perhaps not appreciably different from the normally aspirated standard v6. I also appreciate the lane-keeping assist (though not always reliable even when lanes clearly painted and favorable conditions for it to work). Most of the electronics and "Sync" were good, though I kept getting a "usb input error" message on screen from one of the charging ports used to charge phones that I don't get anywhere else. Will chalk that up to Microsoft and perhaps the next generation Sync3 on next year's model will improve some of these little annoyances. The highway ride is quiet and smooth, with minimal steering adjustments required to keep it tracking straight. I enjoyed driving it and all the electronic parking aids are useful though I didn't try the parallel parking assist. In the interest of keeping this review fairly short, won't go into all the details of everything I checked, but overall found the technology and features in this model to be very good. It's not going in my garage, however, for one simple reason--seat comfort. I plan for this vehicle to be the family roadtrip hauler and this is the fatal flaw for me. I can nitpick a few other items that I wasn't thrilled about, but could learn to live with, but seat comfort is a major problem area for me at least. Even with the Platinum's "Nirvana" leather and seemingly infinite amount of adjustment (including massaging seats), I eventually developed significant lower back pain over the course of many consecutive hours behind the wheel. I'm not sure if the highly inboard dead pedal placement is part of the equation, but the seat cushions' contours felt too narrow and the bottom cushion too short (at 6' 1", I'm not tall enough to expect that to be an issue) resulting in sciatica symptoms. I tried to wish them away as I really liked the vehicle enough to strongly consider buying one. Could just be the way it fits me, though I'm apparently not alone given what I've read here and elsewhere. For reference, both the Dodge Durango and Toyota Highlander (the latter with it's inflatable front seat edge extender for more thigh support) feel much more comfortable to me. There may be other vehicles in this class with even better seat comfort, though I have ruled them out for other reasons. My recommendation--try to get some extended seat time to confirm long-haul comfort if traveling on long trips is part of the intended use. Such a nice vehicle, though it won't work for me.

FAULTY THROTTLE BODY!! BE CAREFULL!!! 8400 miles

Adam from NH, 07/18/2016
XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I NEED to post a review with the rest of the people that have experienced this issue and Hopefully Ford will finally do a recall!! The same issue happened to me this weekend when my family and I (5 people) took a 4hr drive from New Hampshire to New York City. About 2.5hrs into the trip all of a sudden my 2016 Ford Explorer with 8400 miles started sputtering and running rough and I when I pressed on the gas nothing happened and the wrench light, check engine light and air bag light all came on. I had to drift over the breakdown lane on the highway! Luckily it happened where it did, there was a big enough breakdown lane, there are big stretches of the highway that only have jersey barriers and NO breakdown lane. If that was the case a major accident could have happened! So here we are stuck on the side of the highway (Saturday) with basically a brand new SUV, calling AAA and finding a ford dealer that is open. Called about 6 of them and finally found one that was opened past 12:00 noon. Luckily they told me to tow it to them (45mins away) and they will bring it right in because they knew exactly what the issue was since there fixing a lot of them. They said if they can't fix it right then we were pretty much screwed because all the rental car places close at noon. So basically we would have to rent a hotel room and wait till Monday! After waiting on the side of the highway for for AAA to tow the truck, we also needed had a cab pick up my wife, daughter and boyfriend because the AAA truck can only carry 2 people. The cab came first and got them after an hour and my son and I waited the additional 2hrs for AAA, (3hrs waiting). While I was waiting I looked online to see what the issue is and read everybody's review on the same experience happening to them and still NO recall. The dealer ship was able to replace the part (in 15 mins) and get us on our way. This was at 5pm when we should have been in NY by 12:30 so the whole day was ruined. How do I know this won't happen again? The same part was installed not the recall part! The 4hr drive back to New Hampshire was the most stressful i think i have ever been not knowing if my truck will just shut down with no notice on the highway with my family. This experience could have killed us or someone else. Please tell every 2016 Ford Explorer owner you run in to..

2016 Ford Explorer Sport 401A

Mo, 08/28/2016
Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased my Ford Explorer Sport in June 2016 because I travel a lot and needed more space and reliability. As of now, almost Sept I've put in over 9,000 miles by myself! So I definitely have some input with long hours spent in the vehicle & I LOVE my Explorer. First I'd like to start with a couple cons that are high on my list. I hate the pedals! The brake is significantly higher than the gas pedal which makes it very uncomfortable when transitioning to the brake, especially when traveling long distances. The pedals are adjustable but they move simultaneously. My suggestion for future models is that each pedal have separate adjustment capabilities for better comfort. While the leather seats are very stylish they aren't the most comfortable. What I do love about the seats is that they offer adjustable lumbar support and after hours spent in the vehicle, the heated seats really comes in handy for any back pain! You're also able to adjust the height of the seats, which I often have fully extended to compensate for the high brake pedal. The GPS often gives last minute signals which has occasionally caused me to miss turns & exits. I've noticed with the 2017 model they have changed they're GPS, offering zoom capabilities which the 2016 does not offer. It would also be great if the vehicle offered different route options such as Google maps, so that you could see the different options on the map prior to choosing. I find myself using both google map from my phone and the vehicle's GPS simultaneously to avoid errors or unnecessary routes. Enough with cons... At the end of the day, I couldn't be happier about my purchase! If I had the option to do it again, even if offered the 2017 model at the same price, I'd choose the 2016 model I have today. Though the SUV appears smaller than some SUVs on the outside, the inside feels very spacious & overall comfortable. When driving, I literally feel like I'm driving a sports car. I handle tight turns and u-turn in this SUV better that I did with my previous sedan car! The ride is very smooth & the blind spot detection is remarkable! Not even after having my Explorer for a full month, I was rear ended... No body damage! The tow package cover took most of the damage and the only thing that needed to be replaced was the lower black portion and exhausted cover due to a few scratches. I'm constantly complimented on this vehicle, it really stands out. In my personal opinion the gas mileage is great & it takes me no more to fill the tank than it did my previous car, about $40 total give or take. I almost forgot to mention, the clarity of the front & rear cameras are amazing, better even than some more expensive vehicles I've been in. I hoped this review helps. I tried to touch on some of the things that I haven't seen mentioned quite as much.

Shame on Ford! Faulty Throttle- Dangerous!

Alisa, 07/26/2016
XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2016 Explorer with about 15,000 miles on it. Last week when I was coming home from the beach driving over the Robert Moses bridge, the car lost power.The wrench light came on with a message to check the manual. Somehow I managed to cross lanes to get into the right lane. However, there was no safe lane to be in. Cars are driving at a speed between 65-75 mph. There was the railing and the ocean below!! I had my son and his two friends in the car. I was terrified we were going to get hit and go into the ocean! I had my hazard lights on but I think it was difficult for drivers to see in the daylight. Cars had to swerve to avoid hitting me or stop short when unable to get in the middle lane. Luckily no one was hurt, but this could have easily turned out differently. When I brought the car in to be serviced the sales department seemed to be aware of the problem. Turns out the throttle needed to be replaced. Ford needs to correct this problem before someone is seriously injured or killed! Now I'm afraid it will happen again.

Watch out for the throttle body!!

Peggy Frazier, 04/18/2016
XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Apparently, the throttle body on a 2016 Ford Explorer goes out, on average, at 8100 miles. Mine went out in the middle of a very busy interstate at 8200 miles. Ford Roadside Assistance very kindly contacted a towing company and said they would have it towed to the nearest dealership in Jackson, MS. After driving a limping car to the side of an extremely busy exit, I received a computer generated call saying the towing company would reach me in 1 hour and 15 minutes!!! In the meantime, cars are whizzing by me. I took it upon myself to call the towing company who said they had a man 5 minutes away from me. Sure enough, he was there in 5 minutes. Then, when I reached the dealership, they had no idea what I was talking about and acted more or less unconcerned that there was a tow truck driver sitting in their parking lot wanting to know where to put my car. I assumed that Ford Roadside Assistance would have contacted the dealership and given them a heads up. Not the case. After waiting in the service department lounge for a while, I was told that my car would not be looked at until the next day. But, Ford would rent a car for me in the meantime. Then I learn that Ford, apparently, uses only Enterprise Rentals and the only car they would put me in was a Ford. Unfortunately, all of the Ford cars in Jackson, MS, at Enterprise Rental, had been sent to Texas in the wake of a hail storm. One car remained - a Mustang. I am a 62 year old woman with a not so good back. I thought I would be using it for, at the most, a day, so I could stand it since I had no choice. The next day, I was told that it would take a week for the new throttle body would be in. At that point, I told the dealership that I needed to go home, 3 1/2 hours away, and that I needed another car. Terribly sorry but nothing else is available. I did drive the mustang home and I was given (after insisting) another Ford car by the Enterprise Rental Company in my home town. Today I learn that the throttle body is back ordered for AT LEAST TWO WEEKS! Supposedly due to some catastrophe. I have to wonder if the catastrophe is that the part is so defective that Ford is having to replace so many that they are back ordered. Also, will I ever trust my car again? Will the new throttle body fail after 8100 miles???

12345...26