Used 1998 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 176 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Rundown on my 1998 Eddy Bauer Explorer
By Dave Mallett

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

All in all this outfit is a pretty good SUV. It is very safe. The ride comfort is about average. Has plenty of room. I would recommend purchasing the 5.0 V8 engine over the 6. It's what I own and they are super great engines. Gas millage was very surprising. Being (AWD) All Wheel Drive and an Automatic trans. I was getting 21 to 23 MPG on the interstate and Aprox 17 around town so that is great for a heavy outfit. The down fall to this SUV is that the doors have problems sticking or not working properly. The heat and AC controls have problems. Sun roof plastic trim gets brittle and brakes off but it does not leak. All in all, it's really quite a nice outfit. I would recommend this for a woman with kids do to it's safety. I give it a 4 out of 5 overall.

5.0 V-8 with 200,400K and still running strong!!
By 5.0 V-8 best known engine!

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

A used vehicle should always be checked by a trusted mechanic!! For obvious reasons!!!!

My 1998 Explorer Made it to 268,000 Miles
By Emir Santana

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought My 1998 Eddie Bauer Edition Ford Explorer used back in 2001 at about 58,000 miles overall I have loved my car, but then it was my first car :) .It stood up to 16 years of constantly hauling heavy DJ equipment and speakers to all my DJ gigs and performances over the years, even constant driving up and down the mountains of Colorado. Over it's long life It has had a few problems like the Multifunction switch going out twice (controls your Cruise control, turn signals and wipers etc) however I did have to rebuild my engine at about 170,000 miles after constantly driving up into the high altitude mountains of Denver Colorado while hailung DJ equipment. I did start running in to an issue with car alarm system in the last 2 years randomly going off, I believe due to a malfunctioning door so had to stop locking my doors when I didn't have anything of value in the car. Finally at 268,000 miles this week my Transmission Reverse just went out so it's probably time to let the car go as a repair will cost between 1800 and 3800 depending on who does it and if they also decide to do the front differential which has issues now as well. Still drives forward perfectly so I guess I just gotta be a forward thinking person LOL and never go back. The car has been pretty reliable overall and has lasted me years it's kind of sad that it's time to part ways but it has served me well over the years and the cargo space has been great for all my DJ equipment. Personally I kind of want to buy a newer model Ford Explorer, but I have a wife that really doesn't want me to buy another one :( LOL so the debate goes on as we research reliable SUV cars... (which is how I came to find this in the first place) LOL - [HTML removed]

on the road off the road Im going to get there
By sheri owens

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Tinted windows, tilt wheel, Elec code door lock, Cargo storage on top,Bucket seats. New radiator,water pump,idle pully,Alternater,thermostst housing,Septine belt and no body damage.

I just LOVE my Explorer! Very Reliable!
By Yvonne

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

This SUV I got as a baby shower gift. I have owned it since Febrary of 2014 right before I had my daughter. It has never left us stranded anywhere. This SUV is like a tank seriously! The only thing we had to do with it was get the transmission rebuilt which cited us $1,975.00 but it was worth it. I plan on getting it fully restored when I get my settlement. Maintenance is easy , we have always kept up with oil changes etc. the original owner that bought it brand new always got all of its maintenance done at the ford dealer she got it at! It was all written down in the maintenance schedule book with the owners manual she kept. The original owner also kept the factory window sticker in the owners manual! Neat! My explorer costed $42,000 new! Wow back in 1998!