Used 1995 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1995 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

OK, but not going to buy FORD again
By BK

1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought used at 58K miles. Taken it to 110K. For when we bought it, it was a good car, in terms of ride and features. The ride's always felt a little vague and tippy, but that comes with the class. Great in snow. Had to deal w/the tire recall, multiple front end failures (ball joints X2, tie rods etc.) and now cruise control switch fire hazard. I've put in $5600 in repairs over 8 years (not including oil). $700 per year avg. We drive low mileage, around town, and follow maintenance schedules.

4WD, absolutely. One of the easiest to use when we got it, and still works like a charm.

Engine is a little underpowered, and mpg horrid. Also, FORD quality doesn't compare to my Honda sedan. Two life-threatening issues: bad tires, and car-fire inducing cruise control switch.

Fine Car
By Irus

1995 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV

The only thing I have done to this Limited is change the oil and one set of tires.It still has the orignal battery.A couple of interior lights dont work. My car in Irus Frost and still looks new. I bought this car new when they came out late in 1994. I have made 6 trips to South West Florida from Ohio no problems. I like my Explorer.It has every thing but sun roof.

Color ride confort ride four wheel drive

The interior lighting could be a little better.

Loving Explorers
By Cristi

1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

This is the second Explorer we have owned. My husband drove his 1991 to over 200,000 miles before it puttered out. My 1995 is at 209,000 and still running strong. Any repairs on this thing have been minor and relatively low cost. I would definitely buy another Explorer.

Roomy, powerful, low maintenance, easy to keep clean.

My check engine light comes on after about 100 miles of constant driving. This has been happening for years, even to the previous owner. I've had it checked and there is nothing wrong with the vehicle, it's just a glitch.

most reliable car
By C. Davis

1995 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I have owned this car for over 10 year and the only repairs that i have ever had were to replace an oxygen sensor and another to replace a transmission sensor. This car is an absolute tank. Starts every time and shifts great. I know other people with 200,000+ on their '95 Explorer and they are still running great.

Very nimble, the turning radius is insane - i can park anywhere.

Interior is loud when driving at highway speeds.

Some Features hard to get on new cars
By rabideen

1995 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Best looking Explorer Ford has ever released. The oversize two tone wheel wells and smooth lines make it a gem. Cool features in the 1995 Bauer include: 1) Retractable Antenna 2) Information Center (includes miles to empty, average fuel mileage and oil life remaining) 3) Auto-dimming rear view mirror 4) Compass 5) Two-Way sun visors (front and side) 6) Built-in tissue holder 7) Both driver and passenger power seats. Incredible protection if you're in a head-on collision. I was just in one yesterday. A car was heading the wrong direction on the Interstate. I hit it at about 40-50 MPH, both airbags deployed and I was able to walk away from accident with barely a scratch.

Automation and reliability

Side impact airbags and anti-roll.