Used 2003 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 250 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Best Ford Ever. Ford got this one right.
By Grandmama

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My 2003 Ford Escape was the best Ford ever. Handed it off to my son intending to buy a new one. Unfortunately the design had changed so I ended with a 2012 Ford Escape. Not half the car my 2003 but at least it is a SUV not a redesigned station wagon. This is 2018 and I am looking for a used 2003 Ford Escape to buy.

Bought New! Love it & it's 2018!
By Sarah T

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my V6-Escape new in 2003! Wrecked 3xs; it is protected me; had to replace trans & 3 catalytic converters 2 yrs ago. It still handles well at age 14.1 yrs. It is my pickup for antiquing & gardening. At age 72, with arthritisI love the pullup handles & running boards. I use Mobil One oil now due 198000 high mileage.., it's expensive but only change oil once/year & engine runs smoothly. It runs noisy on road. But, I may put Michelin tires on it & give it to my 16 yr old grand daughter. I'll buy another one new!

Love the Escape, but beware with higher miles...
By John Holst

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Popular 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used in 2006, and have had it ever since (2017 now). It's been a trusty winter driving car, and does great with pulling a trailer. It's not the most comfortable of rides, but it's not bad for longer drives either. The gas mileage was disappointing from the start though, with it being much lower than I'd have thought for a small SUV. Be aware, when it gets to about 150k+ miles, repairs start to add up and get expensive. I've had to replace all 3 catalytic converters, the entire front brake system, both front axles, a rear frame repair due to rust through, and a slight engine overhaul of belts, gaskets, coils, etc. That said, it's sitting at over 190k miles now and is still trucking along nicely.

Not worth buying
By Alyssa

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

You can get a lot better cars than this for the price. I've had to put at least 3k in for repairs within the first month of buying it. Although I do feel really safe in it, I have to fill up my tank every week, and I don't drive a lot. I regret buying this car and its put me off of all fords.

Great SUV
By Wayne

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Popular 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great SUV handles well works great in snow and plenty of power with good mpg 260k on same engine and trans, shocks and struts. Rear brakes are original!