Used 2014 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon Consumer Reviews

SEL 2.0L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (10 reviews )

Love my Energi hybrid plug in!
By Freddie Estremera

2014 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Coming from owning mostly Hondas and Toyotas, I started to get bored of them and went the German route. After a couple VWs and a BMW, I got really tired of fixing them. Me wrenching on the cars myself, I found I had very little time to maintain them after having a toddler. After some time and my wife driving around a Lexus CT200H (basically a Prius), I was really adamant about getting the same reliable drivetrain since hers now has 230k+ miles with very little maintenance. I was on a Prius V mainly because of the room it offered. I had a 2003 525i wagon which was nice to have all the cargo space so I wanted something like it without having to buy an SUV. Well, after some frustrated searches of trying to find the V used with the whole trim package I wanted, it was nearly impossible due to the rarity of the car. Along came the awareness of the Ford C-Max. I knew about the car before as I had seen it before and thought that it was a nice looking car...but never really looked into it...well, this time around, it really caught my eye after seeing I can get an almost new one with low miles for cheaper than I can get the used Prius V with 60k miles. I read lots of reviews and different opinions and after looking online at different sites trying to find a mint one with all the extras I wanted (moonroof, leather, white color, etc), I found my car and bought it sight unseen pending on how it looked in person of course. Once I got there after a 3 hour drive, my wife and I were super impressed. Love this car! Drives, looks and feels so much nicer than the other Priuses I had already test drove and now my wife's 2012 Lexus feels old in comparison of how it drives, cabin comfort, road noise, options, etc. I had not even driven one before but I knew enough that I would be satisfied. I mainly drive on EV mode and I believe the previous owner did too as the lifetime MPG numbers were 68mpg. It is now down to 63 mpg after a couple road trips on hybrid mode. Already drove it 1000 miles in about 2 weeks. So far, super satisfied with my purchase and I feel great about it! We shall see how it does in the long term...I will update this review at a later date. Ford, please keep bringing these awesome cars you have been making for Europe for years to the U.S.!

Headlights burn out
By CommuterinOC

2014 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If you want a car that will last, don't buy this one. I had to replace what I thought was a head light bulb, but turned into an headlight assembly, burned out and cost well over $600.00. I had to replace my battery-not the hybrid over 200.00. I purchased an extend warranty but that didn't cover it, burned out headlight assembly that actually showed it burned, which might have been a problem if it caught fire. I leased it and later decided to purchase it, boy was I upside down. I use it to commute for the carpool stickers and it doesn't hold it's value much, so if you only drive around town, good, but get any mileage over 15,000 a year, this is not the car for you, get a Toyota Prius, it will last and also hold value, I have one of these too. Beware because Ford doesn't stand by their car or parts.

Environmental Bliss
By Robert Sykes

2014 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We owned the C-Max Energi SEL with Skylight for 2 years and were thoroughly pleased on every aspect of the car (except rear volume). We averaged close to 66 mpg overall. Took several long trips and average over 40 mpg. The C-Max was very smooth and quiet on the highway and handled perfectly. The Ford Sync system was great and the Nav and Back-up Camera were excellent. Unfortunately, the C-Max was totaled in an accident and we purchased another 2014 but included he Parking Assist Package and not skylight. I would highly recommend the Ford C-Max Energi for everyone that is looking for an electric/hybrid.

Alternative to Prii and Leaf
By DLD

2014 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have lots of Prii in our area, and everyone likes the mileage but doesn't enjoy the car. This car has a much nicer standard interior than Prii or the Leaf and gets excellent mileage. Our daily driving is often under 20 miles so we're mostly electric, but when we go over that range, we've averaged 70mpg over twelve months of driving. One bonus with this car is it's small on the outside and has tons of space on the inside (except for the trunk). I'm 6'1" and have at least 5" of headroom. The small trunk hasn't been a big deal for us, but if you frequently carry 4-5 people and need space, it could be. When we priced used c-maxes vs similar Leafs (with leather, nav, etc), they were similarly priced, and the c-max can go long distances.

charge port cover flaw!!!!! Pop open door?
By Elizabeth

2014 Ford C-Max Energi Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

charge port cover is held in place with a spring and if it disconnect it affects the entire housing which can cost up to $500. What a surprise... it happens after the warranty! The charge error message "fault in charging!" I cannot believe the poor design that cost the owner
hundreds! I have own cars since the 70s and this is the 1st time a signal light bulb fails within 2-years! I have a truck/2004 and I never had to replace any lights to this day. Cheap!!!