Used 1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:

300k plus and still going for the v8 magnum
By Eric N.

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 ST 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

My dad brought this truck brand new back in 97 and its still running. We put it to the test hauling heavy loads that weighed close to 11,000 every summer and fall it never seem to disappoint. Now the truck is almost 20 years old and still running good with regular maintenance every year who knows how far our farm truck will go. Our truck has the 360 magnum with a 5 speed manual transmission with overdrive which is a good truck on and off road.

My Dodge Ram 2500 w/V10 Engine 4x4
By oldtrucks4fun

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I have owned a 1997 dodge ram 2500 4x4 club cab with V10 since 2000. I had the engine replaced in in 1998 with 65,000 miles on it.
Presently the the truck 103000 and the engine has about 40000.
I have replaced or had rebuilt the following:
1. Engine
10. Numerous sensors
11. Several changes of tires - have 35" height tires. Changed motor mount twice
12. Next project alternator
13. Next project exterior paint job
14. It costs about $100.00 plus to fill the gas tank up in today market. Get 6-8 MPG.
My son has a 1995 3500 standard cab with V10

The power of the V10 Engine and the overall truck performance.

Yes can think of many.

Poor Me
By Steve Butler

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I made the big mistake of buying one of these lemons. I believe the rated towing is about 14,000 but don't think Dodge thought anyone would tow that much weight. Transmission went out at 25,000, replaced under warranty after 2 week wait which ruined my 2 week vacation. Dodge dealer never could get the brakes & alignment correct. It would never stop straight. Engine blew at 65,000. Out of warranty. Independent shop rebuilt it. Engine blew again at 75,000 & shop out-of-business. Now it sits in my garage with the engine setting in the back of the bed.

The ones I added.

I bought another Dodge but made sure it had a Cummins Diesel & Allison Transmission & a good warranty for mileage not years.

283,000 miles - are you kidding me?!?!
By Cagman10

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

When I bought this truck new, I never thought I would have it for so long. Hey, life happens and I still have the truck after 283,000 miles, a load of In 'N Out Burger droppings, and a hell of a lot of work. Tranny is a bit rough on cold winter mornings but I have no real complaints ... except, who would ever design a radio that is right under the cup holder? Hello?!?!? Ever hear of spilled coffee -- radio shorted out after four years. I will cry like when I was a kid watching Old Yeller when I have to put her down.

I can pull houses off foundations.

Move the cup holder -- increase the size of the front brake calipers and rotors. My wife's Audi has bigger front brakes.

Torque Monster
By Torque Monster

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I bought the truck new for the Cummins and it hasn't let me down. It is a pullin' haulin' machine. Get the 5-speed that's the best tranny. This truck could probably pull a building down.

Diesel Engine