Used 1995 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

The Revolution of trucks
By Fred

1995 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I read a review some years back saying the 94 95 Dodge Ram was a revolution In trucks, and I now understand why. This truck is now 22 years old, only has 138 k on it though. Virtually no rust, but the predictable paint fail on the cab and hood which I'm getting fixed soon. It was my late fathers truck, and dad took care of all his machines, so this truck was babied. I've had it for 6 years now, usual maintenance and repairs, biggest was main bearing went out. It literally floats on the road when you drive it, my son, who is a mechanical engineer, calls it the boat truck becuse its such a smooth ride. I drive it a lot on the road, perfect acceleration, smooth ride, enjoyable to drive. I've hauled heavy loads of wood and masonry material, and it had no issues with anything. Ever. Like anything, if you take care of it and maintenance properly, it will last. Engine now takes a little oil,that's expected after 22 years. Dodge brothers made a great all American truck here.

Owned since new
By James loTurco

1995 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Custom ordered. Loaded.
Year 1: six steering column changes; 5 driver's outside mirror changes; 16 wheel changes (didn't know it was necessary to stipulate ROUND wheels); 4-sets of stock Goodyear Wrangler A/Ts gave way to Michelins at dealer expense because the Goodyears could not stay round; absolutely ZERO bushings between chassis and frame; No insulation between fuel tank and straps. Tried to exercise Lemon Law but coerced into keeping it.
Year 3: Black Sport paint job crazing on tops of fenders, hood and roof. Dealer refused to honor warranty, but had to after I produced my 5-yr/75,000 mile paperwork! New paint job lasted 1 1/2 years. Dealer had to re-paint it AGAIN at their cost! But they showed me...crazed again within 2 years.
Years 4-21: Water pump; A/C compressors (2); Headliner; sun visors; Headlights; Leaky sliding rear window replaced with solid one; 27-dollar voltage regulator went bad...Chrysler made it an integral part of the vehicle computer!...$800 cost for new computer because I needed a new voltage regulator (Really?!); Transmission change; Several EGR valve changes; headlight switches heat up...(7 changes by dealership, but still heat up)...now I carry a fire bottle due to reviews of burning trucks (Dealer claimed that they NEVER heard of trucks burning up!); Plastic dash gave it up...replaced; door seals leaked...replaced; electric seat died; electric window motors dying; multi-function switch (turn signal et al) replaced; All seals on environmental controls/vent doors useless...air leaks throughout. Hang the designer of the cup-holder.

Custom paint job to dark silver...sharp. Always had 100% wool seat covers so old seat covers have never been sat on. 5.9L Engine strong. 162K miles. Replaced Infinity stereo with Pioneer with backup camera, Bluetooth etc. Running 285's vice 265's. 4WD superb. Center console...all trucks should mimic this design. Truck almost like new...but that doesn't say too much now does it? Any Chrysler product...never again. Yes I have a Honda and a Toyota. Suffice it to say that the reviews on all used American trucks point to me keeping the truck I know, versus a used one with questionable issues. I simply cannot afford a new truck or even a late model P/U.

Lots and lots of issues but I still love my truck!
By Dee_True

1995 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

You should definitely test drive, research and prepare to invest a few dollars.

I will never buy another Dodge as long as I live
By Steele Robinson

1995 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 LT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is the biggest [non-permissible content removed] that I have ever owned in my life
I am over 65 years old and have owned many vehicles in my lifetime but this one has been the worst one I have ever owned bar none !!!
It is falling apart just two years after I bought it.
I have put four thousand dollars in repairs and it has left me on the road eight times.
I had FOUR TOYOTA trucks before it for my work as a Residential builder and I never even had to do a tune up to them till after 125,000 miles !!!

I still have one of my Toyotas T100 from 96 and it has run and run and run. With 287,000 miles on it I have tuned it up twice and changed oil regular. Replaced head gasket last year and it still runs like a champ. I have pulled Fords, Chevys, and GMC trucks out of the snow almost every year. Can't brag on it enough. I have drove it through rivers, and anywhere I wanted to go never got stuck.
I have a Tundra now and it is even better than my other Toyotas
NEVER AGAIN, NEVER NEVER EVER BUY A DODGE !!!

Update, Toyota's still going strong. Dodge in a pile, rust heap, called and had it towed for salvage, didn't even get $100 for it. IF American companies start building better products instead of junk that they try to make money on, by blowing smoke up your dress then AFTER I have seen others succeed with them I 'might' consider buying it.

Putting It Back Into Use
By Mad Dog

1995 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I found this '95 online and bought it spring of 2010 for backup vehicle & weekend rides. Limited use from previous owner ("for hunt'n/fish'n"). With only 65k miles on it, most issues are from sitting in a barn (headliner dry/falling, etc.) and some frame rust (drop'n boat in & out). More than enough truck 4 my needs. Great reliability so far. Got one small patch of the usually paint peel, some oxidizing too. My 17yr old son loves the truck as well; cant wait to get something else for him so I can have my truck back! Good, strong, simple truck; w/minor restoration, minimal winter exposure, this truck could definitely last me through retirement (another 15 years yet)!

It's a Dodge; Red Color Scheme; Simple truck, yet w/a few bells & whistles; rugged-time-tested 318c.i. engine.

The Infamous Cup holder (I've stain my carpet more than once >> stuff napkins in w/cup helps, and "2010 Dunkin Donuts White & Brown Travel Mug, 16 oz is the only cup/mug I found that fits and stays put).