Used 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews

Used Grand Caravan for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
1...345678

Pros
Cons

Junk

bernickfamily, 07/19/2004

This is the worst car we have ever owned. Transmission went out and electrical problems. All after warranty. This is our last Dodge. Do yourself a favor and never buy one. You may not want to accept one as a gift. I am not alone with these problems. Nearly all owners suffer the problems of this product.

Peoplemover

sport, 12/29/2004

Traded in a 14 year old Nissan pickup. Fair purchase price, Terrible current resale value. A money loser. First year of ownership: New Windshield, drive shaft, battery, fender protector. Trip to dealer every 3000mi. for O/L/F brought out an uncalled for need of a very expensive repair to be had. A come on. Good room for a big load. Never going to buy another Dodge.

Nice Early On, Then Fell Apart

Robert, 05/19/2005

The first 60,000 miles were trouble-free. Then we needed a new transmission ($1900). At 96,000 miles, we needed a new Transmission Control Module ($500). Now, at 98,000 miles, we apparently need a new Body Control Module (the dash is completely dead). We had the dealer trace the wiring, and try a new wiring harness. The only thing left is the BCM. However, there's no going back with this -- it's programmed with our VIN, and there's no guarantee that it will fix anything. We've decided to sell it and buy a new one. Given their long-standing problems with transmission and electrical, I'd avoid the Caravan.

My 2nd Dodge Grand Caravan

jack, 10/03/2005

After keeping my 1990 Dodge Grand Caravan for 10 years, it was time for a change. Even though I had replaced the transmission and did a head job, we still bought a one year old Dodge Grand Caravan. To this day, cannot get my wife to take my Chevy Lumina as she loves the Grand Caravan. With two in college, we fit everything to move them in and out each year with room to spare while the SUV's have to use the roof! we will buy another one in 2010.

My last Chysler

J, 03/21/2006

After purchasing two Caravans this one will be my last. Way too many transmission rebuilds at low milage. I feel like a sucker for buying a second one. It's hard to believe Chrysler has not tried fixing this design problem after all these years.

So Far, So Good

DT, 09/11/2006

Like many others you have read about, has a minor tranmission leak. Very flexible interior design, comfortable, fun to drive. Great sound system. Have gone on long drives with 5 passengers, 2 kayaks, 4 bikes. Nice choice for families or for general people or other hauling. Have concerns about mechanical/reliablity issue 6 years on, but no major problems yet. On balance, it has been a very good family vehicle for us.

It does its job

cicerosum, 11/30/2006

Gets us from point A to point B. Sits 7 of us uncomfortably. Big pain in the rear to remove seats all the time when you need to make more room. Transmission (as usual, it seems) needed to be replaced at about 90k miles. Completely replaced. Mine has lots of nice extras that I like. Temperature, average gas mileage, etc. in the overhead dash. I might buy another Dodge if the tranny problem was solved, I like the new ones.

Never again

Big Fred, 12/29/2006

This car had persistent transmission problems. I had to replace the transmission at about 55,000. The lever controlling the position of the seat back for the drivers seat broke just after the warranty expired. Dodge would not even consider sharing the cost. The initial battery was defective. I had 3 batteries in 6 years. This was the most unreliable car I have ever owned. I would not recommend it to anyone. This car was a classic example of caveat emptor.

One more round!

comfort king, 01/17/2007

This is my 2nd Grand Caravan. The first was very reliable. I owned it 10 years. Bought a luxury car and realised I missed my minivan. So here we go again. This one has 98000 on it, I'm hoping I will have good luck with it, because I really enjoy the comfort and ride. I feel a little more confident since I've got 10 years and 231,000 miles experience out of my 1st one. Plus I only paid $3600 for it used from the original owner who was a Chrysler retiree. I feel I can't go wrong.

We got a good one!

MickeySix, 02/22/2007

Only real problem was with the A/C. Had it in 3 times under warranty and they finally fixed the problem. We just turned over 70K and not another problem with this van. Excellent interior room, comfortable to travel in for our family of 5, and exterior styling is the best of all mini vans. This van has been from Washington state to NY and back 3 times without a problem. The Infinity sound system and overhead DVD player keeps the whole family entertained. The overhead computer is a nice feature. I've read some of the complaints on the tranny and brakes, but with just over 70K on ours we haven't experienced any of that! We have nothing but praise for our van and would recommend it to anyone!!!

1...345678