Used 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Grand Caravan for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Still going at 257000+ miles

ken_86gt, 02/01/2012

I bought this van used at ~93k miles. This van has been incredibly reliable. Normal maintenance items ONLY- oil, filters, tires, brakes, plugs, belts, battery. Still on original hoses. I have only replaced the starter and alternator once, I consider this normal. It is starting to use a little oil, have a transmission leak that is significant, and uses coolant frequently. I just keep them topped of at this point. I will be looking for another Caravan soon! I have friends with Honda and Toyota minivans that required much more maintenance and repairs than mine! I keep thinking that this will be the last set of tires I buy- and then 50K later it is time again...

Still goin!

autoitking, 12/25/2010

My family has had this car for 10 years now, and it's still going strong. Original engine and transmission are rock solid and perform well. Only problems we ever had was a leaky radiator hose, a bad spark plug wire, and a bad idler. Once the idler and spark plug wires were replaced, it ran like new again! The power steering is very powerful and has a lot of boost. Very easy to steer, and handles well considering its size. The leaf springs in the rear make loading over a ton no problem, and the engine can haul it adequately. We fit all of my college stuff in there with room for three adults left. And the engine made it 350 miles to my dorm and back. Also a few very long trips (over 600 miles)

Grand Caravan

Whachaknow, 09/28/2010

We bought the Grand Caravan when we had three teenage children. Outside the obligatory Chrysler minivan transmission problems and an early replacement of front struts and steering pump, which were covered by the extended warranty, it has been a very reliable performer. The mileage is poor, as expected. But, we have driven it coast to almost coast (Washington, DC to Arizona), up and down mountains, and across deserts, and it has proven to be reliable and thoroughly comfortable. Now that we are almost empty-nested, we will eventually replace it with something smaller and more fuel efficient, but it has been a great family vehicle for all these years.

Not a good buy

melliann, 07/30/2010

We have had nothing but issues since we got it, going through brake pads like crazy, had to replace the transmission twice, and be careful how far away you are from other drivers because the brakes are really squishy, so bad that it caused me to get into a fender bender and now hubby thinks it is totaled! Oh joy - NOT!

130,000 Grand Caravan

ftn, 05/05/2006

Have put nearly 130,000 miles on our Grand Caravan ES AWD with only routine maintenance. The vehicle has been great - very reliable - big enough to carry everything we need. Gas mileage could be better but overall we've been VERY pleased.

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan goes the extra mile!

Chuck Nemec, 06/13/2018
LE 4dr Minivan AWD

Change oil frequently, keep good tires on it, it's important to keep van looking good by washing it regularly. Plan on new brakes about every four years, battery every five, wipers every year. I've had my van for eighteen years and never let me down: no flats, great cargo space, great towing capacity, and better than average gas mileage. All-in-all a good car for so many years!

170,000 miles and still going!

cprevbhayes, 07/02/2011

Bought used in 2003 with 35k. Now has 170,000 and still running strong. Did have to replace shift solenoid in tranny at about 100k, but that was only a $300 repair. Motor is still strong and doesn't use any oil. Transmission will use a little fluid occasionally. Only complaint (if you can complain about something that is 11 years old) is that the paint on the hood is fading out. Still drives great. A/C compressor is currently out and weighing whether or not it is worth the $1000 price tag to have that fixed. All in all, it has been a great vehicle. Not that exciting to drive, but great for the family. Hey, it's a minivan after all!

Gem of a Car

Aloysis, 09/09/2010

Bought this to haul bikes inside. Excellent room.Remove center seats and push third row forward.loads of room. stylish design not boxy like the new ones. First year: New Windshield (Scratch) Steering Column, (Squeak). Tremendous Pickup even 11 years later. Current mileage is 63.000.

Dodge Caravan Transmissions Go out at 60k

lanrivers, 06/26/2011

This Van is a curse. I have owned over 5 for fleet and all transmissions average around 60,000 and thats it. Expensive to replace AND many times the rebuild only lasts a week. One had to be rebuilt 3 times. Too expensive. Why Dodge doesn't correct this problem? The mechanic told me they could if they put the correct hardened components in but they don't want to because it helps there service Dept. create revenue that they would not have if it was too dependable. Big Scam. Avoid this van unless you have very deep pockets. Cost me 10's of thousands over 10 years. Keep away.

It's Good but Thirsty

thosdd, 06/17/2002

This is a fine piece of work. The only complaint is the LOUSY mpg. I getting 16 to 17 mpg. This is not what the spec. sheet said. Other than that this van is very comfortable.

The wife's car

RKister, 08/14/2002

Excellent handling, good acceleration. Poor A/C-cool but not cold-needs bigger fan. Seats very comfortable. Second row difficult and heavy to remove and needs fore & aft adjustments. Third row seat best left in place or have help to move. Has been very reliable. Took on cross country trip and was very please with storage and room for the kids. Excellent road car. Short turn radius, easy to park. I like Fords and rented a Ford Van but preferred the Dodge over- all.

good overall

dozier, 02/27/2002

Good overall minivan choice. Very comfortable seats, good design. Rides nice. Fit and finish could use improvement. Transmission had seal leakage, fixed under warranty.

love the AWD

caryn, 12/06/2003

little monor annoyances - steering wobbbles at speed - balance/alignment don't hold.

Typical American made car

test the dodge, 12/29/2003

The data: 2000 SE, 75K miles, V6 3.3 engine. Having two kids and a lot of family visiting from Europe, we really appreciated the space and comfort. Quality, well it is an American made car - period. I allways would buy an extended warranty with the car. It helped us to deal with a broken bord computer, windor power switch and alike. The brakes are really poor for the size of the car. Disk brakes should be standard on front AND rear - it is a family car. Mileage on the highway is acceptable but in the city .... Overall its a good vehicle for long rides with big family. But drive carefull - the brakes...

Tranny already!

Catsvan, 05/25/2004

I bought my 2000 Grand Caravan Sport about 3 months ago. I love driving it and my daughter loves her TV/VCR. My only problems so far have been a few major oil leaks fixed easily, but very expensive & now the transmission needs to be rebuilt which is costing me over $2000. I'm hoping and praying that this will fix the major problems. Time will tell.

This Works For Me

LuvnDad, 04/22/2003

I have been the owner of this vehicle for a few weeks now. However it was bought brand new by my mom and dad. It is in excellent condition. I had many chances to drive this vehicle and I find it to be a very smooth ride. It hugs the road on turns and does not feel top heavy. The exterior is sweet. The rear spoiler and front fog lights give it a very sporty look. I never thought of myself as a minivan kind of guy; but I am glad I bought it and believe me it was well taken care of. The kids love it. There is plenty of room for them and now I don't hear she touching me or move over anymore.

Epitaph for a minivan

70dave, 08/18/2008

Bought this van for my wife to drive and as our family car. My wife has really enjoyed the van and I must admit it looks pretty good for a minivan with the rear spoiler and the alloy wheels. It even handles pretty good. We have three teenagers and the van has served the purpose well of transporting us with adequate leg room. I am 6,2" and it is not at all comfortable for the driver. There is nowhere to put your left leg due to the wheel hump. As of last week van had approx. 120,000 miles and was serviced regularly. I added transmission fluid all the time due to tranny leak so the fluid was always fresh. Same for power steering fluid and coolant. Crashed last week w/no air bags deployed. Bye van.

Has been pretty good to me, considering

MDGUY, 06/10/2008

I purchased the van at 40k miles after my ex totaled the '99 GC. It came from Canada (bad thing) originally and had 6k miles rolled off when brought into US. I now have 170k miles on it. In all, typical minor repairs with brakes and such. Trans done at 160k - not too bad really. Engine is a 3.8 and runs great - lots more power than the 3.3 I had before. Replaced the radiator - had a hole not due to defect, replaced the water pump at 120k or so - typical. It is getting to the point where more repairs need done - struts, front end work, tires, etc so I am dumping it. Bought a Nissan Sentra. Don't need a van any more. Considering I am not easy on cars, this one has held up pretty good!

Tranny issue down the line, stay away...

vincent, 07/17/2008

Bought the car new with the wife using it mostly for work and around town plus family vacations. Right about 44k miles the tranny went south on us. Dodge won't cover cause its out of warranty. Replaced it with a used tranny & 1500 miles into it the tranny died. This time got a brand new tranny from Dodge and it ran fine until 115k miles later. Tranny shot again. I should've read about all these Chrysler tranny issue before buying it. There's a site online dedicated to Chrysler tranny time bomb. They make decent looking car but interior and mechanical flaws are all over. Never will I buy another Chrysler product.

Strut Towers

Caravangh, 08/02/2008

If you have a Dodge Minivan, you have rusted Strut Towers. The over all Van is in great working order, run good, look good. BUT than you look under the hood WOW RUST like you have never seen before. The Strut Towers are so badly rusted around the top, I'm afraid one day my strut is going into orbit.

It's Not Good

big kev, 04/18/2002

We love the way the van drives and handles - like a car. Very convenient features but no power doors. The biggest problem has been the transmission - two trans gasket replacements so far at 35k. Power steering problems too.

All Good Here

61 kd, 04/29/2009

Bought this model from dealer, first family truckster I've owned. I think I'll own it forever. It just never quits. Did have a master cylinder issue early on but was under warranty. I also replaced the A/C but other than that nothing else. It rides like a dream, love the versitility of removing the 2nd row captain chairs, and it gets 23 on the highway. Engine and Tranny still going strong!

After 40,000 miles we still love it!

Alan_D, 05/31/2002

Our Grand Caravan has 40,000 miles on it after 2 years. It has performed very well over that period with only routine maintenance. For a large'ish van it handles very well and has decent acceleration (we have the 3.8L). I've been generally pleased with the gas mileage. We've averaged 19.5 mpg around town and 25 mpg on trips - and that is with an average of 5 to 6 people in it.

The Best Minivan Ever

DollyPartonRocks, 02/10/2010

I have only had one "under" the hood problems, that was in 2007, fixed & no problems since. Everything is still like new, although like all older cars it does need new headlights. Driver side sliding door got jammed once in 2003, fixed and no problem since. This is by far the best minivan ever!!! You can't go wrong with this thing!!!!

GET A HONDA MINIVAN

dENNY, 07/03/2002

I will never buy a dodge, chrysler, or jeep,again. The caravan's are no good I can't see why everone has one.I had many problem with the grand caravan, I had to get the brake replaced 3 time's and 2 time's replacing transmission.YOU CAN TELL HOW CHEAP IT's MADE BECAUSE THE DODGE SIGN FELL OFF THE HOOD. I MADE A BIG MISTAKE TRADING MY 1998 FORD WINDSTAR FOR A GRAND CARAVAN.

I will not buy a fourth one!!!

marcus4e, 08/14/2002

This is my 3rd Grand Caravan. It is the best design and ride of all minivans we have tried. However, Chrysler quality sucks. I am already having front end problems at 48K miles. Interior stuff is falling apart. I expect to have the same air conditioning and valve problems under 70K miles as I did on the first 2. Why buy a third one you ask? Because it is the only one with the best ride and best interior size for a minivan and with a large family of 6 I needed that. They have a great concept, but very poor execution after marketing it for 17 years.

Grand Caravan Review

kemrich, 10/21/2002

This is the second Grand Caravan we have owned. First one lasted 11 years and 250,000 miles on one engine and one Trannie. Mileage is acceptable at an average of 22 mph on regular gas. Only gripe is removal and reinstall of the second set of seats and the rear bench. Chrysler should have learned from the competition. Still awkward.

WINDOW LEAKS

worldbfr, 11/03/2002

This van gets driven, I have ove 50000 miles and only 2 years old. Passenger sliding door window has water leaking in. Dealer does not want to do an out of warranty repair. It is only 2 years old.

Great so far!

John42, 11/02/2002

We've owned our 2000 Grand Carvan Sport for 2 and a half years and 45,000 Miles. No problems to report. Mileage is about 23 mpg with the 3.3 liter V6.

A Pleasure to Drive

ted, 10/13/2002

This van is a pleasure to drive, especially on long trips. First, you sit up high for a good view of the road. Second, the seats are very comfortable even with manual seat adjustments. Third, it moves smoothly along at highway speeds of 75+ mph, even in the Rocky Mountains. It also is fine in the city and useful for hauling furniture, building supplies and kids.

The Worse I've Ever Had

George35, 11/29/2002

This is hands down the worse vehicle I have ever owned. I have an 86 Subaru that drives better than this vehicle. I have had my Grand Caravan for Less than 2 years. During that time it has been in and out of the shop, examples: Broken axles, replace rack and pinion, sway bars, belt tensioner, replaced lifters, and electrical problems. Buyers beware!

"meet all necessary requirements" van

dprong, 12/06/2002

Leased an '98 Plymouth Grand Voyager "Expresso" (3.3 L engine) and upon it's lease expiration, I told the same salesperson who leased it at the beginning that it was the best car I ever had after driving 4 Hondas (all cars). He replied,"This 2000 Grand Caravan" (3.8L) is going to be even better. And he is damn right! Despite that this van has ran into bad luck (smashed a pregnant doe; leaving $8,000 damage and hail damage leaving $9,000 damage within 1 year!) Took it to many long trips per year to parents in laws' and to Fla. A real nice cruising vehicle! Comfortable seatings

NO MORE CHRYSLER JUNK

Dealer Dan, 12/19/2002

Our Grand Caravan has been nothing but problems. The transmissions are junk. This Van had two transmissions in 30,000 miles. NOT RECOMMENDED for people with children - this is an unsafe and unreliable vehicle. The wipers only work when the SUN is out. The back door glass explodes as you drive down the road. The brakes will not stop it at speeds over 30MPH unless you have a mile to stop. ABS SUCKS.

2000 Powerwagon

Pop, 12/29/2002

This vehicle is superior to the Ford Windstars I have owned. It is more comfortable, pulls my boat easier, and is much roomier and more comfortable. The mileage is disappointing, as is the braking system. It has had to have a seat replaced because of wear, and stabilizers were added to the front to get rid of excessive noise.

Lemon

Suzer, 12/31/2002

We had nothing but problems with this vehicle since purchasing it. I have a file about 2 inches thick of service invoices. Fortunately, everything was covered by the warranty (when it ran out, we ditched it). Daimler Chrysler would not admit it was a lemon. The worst part...not having a car. Problems included: Steering column replaced 3 times, steering wheel clock spring replaced 4 times, windshield wiper motor, air conditioner fan motor, both power window motors died, horn malfunctioned, sliding door pad short (which caused doors to lock and unlock while driving at various speeds), ignition cylinder housing locked up twice, and the list goes on.

think twice before buying Dodge Caravan

Chris & Shannon, 01/27/2003

for the most part the van is nice but it was our second new dodge caravan and we had problems with both, the main reason that we purchased the caravan was because of price. With both carvans 1999 & 2000 AWD Sports we had trouble with the transmittion and electrial problems,Once the caravan hit 20,000 miles it started going down hill fast! we are now looking to buy another van but this time we will buy a used honda odssey 1999 or 2000. I would never advise anyone to buy a Dodge Carvan, lease hmmmmmm, well maybe! Good luck hope my experience will help you make a better choice.........

AWSOME!!

Jay11, 02/13/2003

Bought our Grand Caravan in 1999 as a 2000 model. It is a Jet Black Grand Caravan Sport, with suck options as the 3.8L engine, Infinity Sound system, Power everything except seat (which i miss:( ), computer, rear air etc.,$35,900CDN NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RUNS BEAUTIFULLY!!!!!!! LOOKS SEXY FOR A MINIVAN!!! Best looking minivan out there. We are trading it in this year for a Town and Country with the DVD option.

The bigger engine makes a difference

dwolf, 03/04/2002

I highly suggest getting the 3.8L engine. It has soooo much more torque

my dark green van

Gerald Hubler, 08/24/2003

The only trouble I have had with this van is a gromut was missing from the pasengers right sliding door & the door seal on the left sliding came loose. these items were fixed under warenty.

beware

schoolboy, 09/01/2003

after 55k had electrical problems that rendered van undriveable. took dealer nearly a month to fix after repeated prompts for them to get it fixed. refused to give me a loaner. extreme frustration in getting repairs done. liked van, but feel its unrealible in long term. nice while it lasted, which wasn't long. poor warranty. poor dealer service. trading in for non-dodge minivan.

Not Bad!!

Triangletalk, 09/05/2003

We have driven our van from coast to coast repeatedly and have had relatively little trouble with it. We did have a transmission seal leak the first year but it was covered under warrenty. We are at 111,120 miles now and the transmission needs replacing. This time its on my dime. So far so good!

BEWARE OF THE DODGE CARAVAN

tickpilot, 09/14/2003

I bought this van brand new from a dealer, hoping to have a reliable vehicle for a few years, but boy was I suprised! I have had nothing but trouble from this van including, but not limited to: 1. The head gasket needed to be replaced 2. The master cylinder has been replaced 3 times 3. The front and rear brakes, including calipers, wheel bearings, rotors, pads, shoes have been replaced multiple times 4. The transmission has needed major work, and multiple sensors needed to be replaced as well. 5. The main computer module needed to be replaced. 6. Last week, the engine blew.(65K miles)

So far, So good

dustin, 08/08/2003

We purchased this van used, and it has not yet failed us. We had one of the first Dodge vans ever made, (back in '91 or so,) and we loved it. This one is just as great. The only problems we've had so far is small transmission problems, (but nothing serious), and some air-conditioning problems have just started, (which also happened with our old Dodge Caravan.) We've had a Dodge Grand Caravan twice now, but I think our next vehicle will be a Chrysler Town & Country.

Disappointed

Dsspntd, 10/03/2003

The things fixed since buying the van new : Power window and door actuators, exhaust manifold(cracked shortly after new) , power steering (excessive leak), front rotors (warped 30,000), onto my 3rd water pump within the last year and it's leaking again. I took a chance on buying this Dodge Caravan and put my faith in American made. Sorry never again, maybe Buick. I've owned a Buick Skyhawk, Ford Mustang, Oldsmobile Cutlass, Buick LeSabre, Acura Integra, Dodge Colt, VW Passat (all '80's and '90's models)

if only dodge cared!

soubie, 10/03/2003

i have owned three dodge minivans. i love the room they offer as i have 4 children, a husband and a dog! but as far as the reliability of this auto forget it. have a problem dodge doesnt care! squeaks alot after the second year of ownership. transmission problems, MANY!! THE TRANSMISSIONS WENT ON ALL THREE!!!! DID THEY CARE NO EVEN AFTER THE WARRANTY HAD JUST RUN OUT THAT WEEK!!!! THEIR GREAT FOR ROOM. BUT FOR ANYTHING ELSE THEIR A WASTE! IF I EVER RAN MY COMPANY THE WAY AUTO COMPANIES RUN THEIRS I'D BE OUT OF BUSINESS!!! BUY A HONDA VAN INSTEAD!

Still own it, but will not buy another

Doug, 07/09/2005

Many, many, many problems with brakes over the years. Filed a complaint in the early years, but Chrysler/Dodge did not seem to care and did very little. Probably will not buy another Chrysler/Dodge just due to their lack of care and fair reliability

Straight from a happy owner

Rideon, 01/07/2004

This van has been a joy to own and drive. It has given me reliable trouble free service. Only problem was a slight transmission oil leak which I got fixed right away and it has been fine since. No problems starting in cold weather and no major or even minor repairs needed.

Crummy Transmission

Doug G, 02/09/2004

We bought this with about 45000 miles on it. 6 weeks after buying it, we had to put $1,750 into the transmission after (of course) the salesman told us that the transmission was checked. We had specifically asked about the trans. during the test drive. There is now a "thumb" in the front end when doing over bumps... I dare wonder whats wrong NOW!

Poor Quality!

Caravan Lemon, 02/25/2004

Transmission of my 2000 Grand Caravan broke down at 75K KM. 2K to fix it. Chrysler should be shame of its quality.

love my dodge grand caravan

firemom, 05/19/2004

I love it the extended back with the sliding seat is so handy. Small enough to park and handle but large enough for shopping and kids or vacation stuff and family.the engine is reliable has pick up but not too bad on gas.never have had a problem

51050