Used 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Daily Driver Dakota
By RB

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Truck has been very reliable since purchased new in June of 2001. Truck was daily driver until about a year ago. Still running many original parts including fuel injectors at 210,000 miles. Transmission is weak link in drivetrain and was rebuilt at 120,000 miles. 16 years old and very little rust, non of which is visible from exterior. 4wd has worked flawlessly since new. Truck has plenty of power with the 5.9 magnum engine and pulls anything I put behind it. A/C is still ice cold and have only had the system drained and refilled once in 2014. Oil changed every 5k and burns a quart every 2k. Sold truck to my brother a couple of months ago with 217000 miles. He had to replace driver side window regulator and is driving it daily.

Great Trek
By Peter Ferraris

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

It has been a fine vehicle I have no complaint. Replace the transmission at about 300,000 miles. I'll have to say I'm completely satisfied and enjoy driving it.

Pros vs Cons
By jhtet101

My spouse and I have own ours since 2009:

Pros:
- Since we purchased a quad cab: Carries family and big items at the same time not a lot of trips
- Super comfortable
- great back up car
- powerful
- sturdy frame

Cons:
- Since owning it, we have fixed both front calibers (I believe driver side twice within wk apart), all the window gears more than one time, some of hydraulic metal lines (almost caught on fire), now has a burning smell again, also our fuel gauge never worked correctly
- we don't get 19 highway miles or 16 city miles, we get maybe 8, about 54 miles per a tank.

Thought we have fixed somethings multiple times, I do still like it.

Comfort,

the parts are cheaply made and break to easliy

200,200 and Keeps Going
By nmtbaron

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I own a 2001 Dakota Sport crew cab V8 4.7 all wheel drive truck with 200,200 as of 3/5/14. It's such a great truck! It's a champ in the snow and sand.
Most of my driving is city and highway. I change the oil every 4000 miles using 10w-40. Past repairs were minor.
Truck gets 16 mpg with a performance kn air intake kit (highly recommend!). I was getting 13 mpg before installing the kit. I'm gonna drive it into the ground. Grey paint still looks great.

Interior layout, doors open wide, all wheel drive, great at towing and off roading. It pulls the dune buggy and boat just fine.

Rear end dances around over potholes, uneven pavement and uplifted road seams from asphalt to concrete. Truck rides better with a load in the bed.

13 years later
By fishinoregon

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I've recently purchased a 13 year old Dakota Quad Cab. I looked for 6 weeks at all sorts of trucks but when it came down to it, this Dakota fit the bill best.
Everything works and the truck runs strong with a good tight feel to it. Best part of this purchase was the truck had just 87,000 miles on it. It was well cared for and used during the previous owners summer vacations.
The tan colored interior is in perfect shape and the bright red exterior has a nice shine to it. As long as the truck (and all others like it) is well cared for, it will be on the job for years to come.

Happy traveling

Favorites would be the 4 doors, the fold down front console, and the great visibility all around the truck with large mirrors and no real blind spot. The truck also hauls my work tailor without a problem, even while traveling uphill.

Although I've not looked at newer models of the Dakota, I'm pretty sure Dodge has done a great job resolving any problems and improving the overall truck.