Used 1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

20 year old truck still holds up!
By Wyatt

1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

Just bought a 1998 dodge dakota off craigslist for $2000 with 81000 miles on it. Even for a 20 year old truck it felt great before I even went to an auto shop. I changed out the oil filters, air filters and all 4 tires which is standard everytime you buy a car. I live in California so I of course did an engine diagnostic because you have to SMOG every other year. The tags on this expire next year so it's still current. I gotta say, it's my proudest buy and quite a steal for my first truck. It's a 20 year old automatic so no cup holders and no automatic door locks. That's okay though. I am gonna do some more work on it and eventually put a new stereo, speakers and custom paint job on it. Maybe even a custom center console if possible. I am very happy with this buy. I highly recommend this vehicle if anyone ever comes across it.

1998 Dodge Dakota fleet vehicle 3.9, 5 speed
By Mike

1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

Great truck with some quirks. Once I redone the ground wires under the hood and did a full tune up it ran like new. Does not hurt to know some basic mechanics when buying one almost 20 years and over 200,000 miles but seems to be strong and dependable.

Best Truck I've Owned
By Chris

1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LB

Bought this truck from my father in late 2002. Had it until I sold it in Summer of 2009. It had 218,000 miles on it when I sold and was still running great. Never had to do more than change the brakes, tires and oil. Started to rust a bit at the end, but that was expected.

Great Pick Up Truck
By WhiteWonder

1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab LB

My Mom purchased this truck and it is simply amazing. We have an automatic and even the auto is quick. The interior is comfortable with a spacious armrest for even more comfortable driving. The sound system that comes stock is amazing and sounds great with tapes or just good old FM/AM radio. The drive is smooth and it absorbs bumps easily. We have had problems with the AC, but that's normal and our tranny line busted. AC get's pricey obviously, but a simple hose is nothing to repair. Fantastic truck I would recommend it to anybody!

Sound system, smooth ride, comfortable seats, quiet interior and exterior, very sleek design. It also has good crash test ratings. (It's a Dodge and they are so sturdy/heavy that in order lower the vehicle you have to pay extra for suspension.)

If the AC is a problem in other models of the same year, then AC work. Other than that it's a great vehicle.

Flash2Speed
By flashtube

1998 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

The best mid sized truck I have purchased. Runs like a hot rod. Outside paint is a beautiful emerald green. When I turn the key on I can hear a deep thrum from the exhaust.

I love the mean looking front end. It just tells you, look out, I can fly, here I come. It rolls like a fighter plane down the runway.

You get and extra 4 miles to the gallon and increased horse power by 20% if you install a more flow catalytic converter and even more by installing lighter wheels.