Used 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Consumer Reviews

SRT8 6.1L V8 5-speed Automatic - (24 reviews )

Buy it!
By Cody

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 SRT8 2dr Coupe (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

I've had this car for 2 years and the only issues I've had were bad brake pads from the factory (also change the factory brembo brake pads for hawk performance brake pads, the brembos make too much brake dust and have a tendency to squeal) and a low whining sound from the rear end from 25-32 mph (apparently normally experienced by other owners as well). Other than that, she has been amazing, no issues, great power, even the automatics have excellent transmission shift times. Test drove Camaro SS's (poor visibility, worse sound system, virtually no rear leg room, very cramped in the front, way smaller trunk space) and the Mustang GT (horrible sound system, atrocious rear leg/head/every other part of your body room), and they didn't come close. The SRT8 has far superior electronics and interface, ride stability is rock solid, engine power is immediate with an unbelievably satisfying roar at full throttle, amazing amounts of front and rear leg/head room (sitting in the drivers seat can almost feel like being in a truck), visibility is great, sound system is mind-shatteringly good, Sat Nav is great, and despite being 4080 lbs,, she handles much more nimbly than you'd expect (compared to other muscle cars obviously, not as nimble as European sports cars). I do wish she was a bit louder at idle and lower rpms, and definitely switch to hawk performance brake pads, but besides that, they are phenomenal. It's definitely worth buying, if you don't, you're missing out.

SRT8 Black Beauty
By Joey

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 SRT8 2dr Coupe (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

Just bought this 2009 SRT8 Black Beauty. It is best car I've ever owned, and I've had 2 Mercedes, Porche 911, and 2 corvettes. The Challenger beats them all hands down for quality, power, comfort, and performance. You can drive this car daily as it is extremely livable or save it for weekend jaunts. I am thrilled every time I get in the car and turn it on. I get so many compliments on it from total strangers. This car has a style that will never go out of style. I'm keeping this car forever and a day. If you have the cash, I highly recommend you pick one up if at all possible. It has true collector car value in my opinion.

Blue Nostalgia
By quickjack

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 SRT8 2dr Coupe (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my B5 blue SRT8 in October, 2010 with a 6-speed manual. I have loved putting each and every mile on it since. The transmission shifts are crisp, the engine pulls like a freight train, and what a glorious sound track. The interior is comfortable and practical but no styling frills here. The well bolstered buckets are comfortable on the longest of trips, and even heated for those cold mornings. The back seat is for children or small adults, but nonetheless comfortable. The trunk offers ample space, with a 60/40 rear seat split. If you buy this car, prepare for attention. Even still, I get people craning their necks to have a look. After 2 years, I still wouldn't trade it for anything.

Thunderous 6.1 V-8, NASA quality 6-speed transmission, Great Brembo brakes, handles very well for a big car, comfortable, awesome stereo

Dump the terrible 1-4 skip shift, stability control system is too intrusive, an in between setting would be nice, no quick release for driver's seat

Black Pearl SRT8
By Black Pearl

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 SRT8 2dr Coupe (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the 09 SRT8 in December of 09. This car is the best machine I have ever owned. I don't drive it daily usually bring it out on the weekends. It's not ever to cold to drive it in AZ so I can drive it year round. The 6.1 hemi runs like a wild animal. At full open throttle the exhaust sounds like music to my ears.

What I like most is the body this car has one if the best bodies I have seen on a car in decades. The fact that it has a 6.1 hemi under the hood is just the cherry on top. If you don't have a SRT go test drive one it's a monster.

For improvements the car should come with the CAI, 93 Performance Tune, and last but not least a supercharger. All that for 45k.

HEMI - I got one!
By mackyds

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 SRT8 2dr Coupe (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

I have waited many a year for this kind of vehicle, and now I have one! I still remember the hemi-cudas, six-pac super bees, etc. but never owned one. When I seen the new Callengers, I just had to have one. And I tell you, if you want a car that gives excitement, this is it! 425 hourses with 420 ft/lb torque is just plain sick! And the looks and the comments are never ending when I am driving "the Beast" around! Everytime I get in her, I can't get rid of that "you know what" eating grin off my face! Especially after a couple Mustang GTs found out what it was like to mess with that 6.1 liter under the hood! Thank you Dodge for bringing back the excitement!

The looks, the sound of the exhaust and that 6.1 liter in the upper RPM band, the awesome Kicker sound system, the looks and comments from everyone.

Left side seat release, a real spare tire (though I know it was left out to save SOME weight), more colors would have been nice (mine is Torred, though actually not a bad color)