Used 1997 Chrysler Town and Country Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Town and Country for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Buyer Beware

msbiggs30, 08/04/2009
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan AWD

I bought this van b/c I needed more room for my 3 small children. The first thing to go wrong was the passenger sliding door. It gets stuck sometimes and is hard to open. The wipers have a mind of their own and will usually come on when I turn on the blinker. The ceiling lining is falling down. The passenger window has come off track, but the window motor is still good. I recently took it for a diagnostic check and found that my 2 sensor and EG valve needs replacing. This was the reason that my "check engine" light was on. The cd player no longer works, but the radio is still good. Aside from these flaws it's very comfortable and luxurious feeling. My kids love all the room!!

Terrible transmissions

Greg Goode, 07/29/2005
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

We owned a Dodge caravan before this T&C. We put 2 transmissions in it in 100,000 miles. We were skeptical about buying another Chrylsler van but we talked to the service manager at the dealership and he assured us that Chrysler had fixed their transmission problems, WRONG, Wrong and WRONG. We put 3 new transmissions in the 67,000 miles that we've had the van.WE bought it used with 53,000 miles so it could have had more go bad. You might think that maybe it is our driving habits but in our 55 yrs of driving experience these 2 Chrylser vans are the only transmissions we have ever had go bad. We are selling this hunk of transmission junk ASAP and will never buy another Chrysler product.

Where are the lights

Ray, 11/27/2007
LX 4dr Ext Minivan

We bought this car new and other than regular maintenance haven't had any repair issues. The real problem thought is the lack of headlights. In fact I can't believe that it is legal to sell a car with headlights this bad. We drive all the time with the brights on and never does anyone flash their lights at us. \The dims are completely useless and the brights only slightly better.

mistery

fyp, 03/14/2003
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

Made is USA, it should be the best. Very nice overall plush ride, cd & cassette. 3.8 V 6. great 20 mpg avg. Good enough power. AWD will be nice to have. BUT Neither the dealer nor my mechanic can NOT figure it out a dangerous problems It's been having. When making a turn the engine just dies or when in cruse control at 55 mph . It almost stalls ,RPMs go to zero, shuts off the CC but keeps running. We worry we might get rear ended.Spent $1000's the problem still there.Some of these vans R reliable,some R not.Due 2 thESE BAD glitches,no body can figure them out.

Great on the Highway

calbeard, 10/28/2008
LX 4dr Ext Minivan

Many good things about this van, but the bad points are major: The transmission is, at best good for 50,000 miles. My transmission repair guy says that this type of transmission keeps him in business. I've put in three. Gas mileage is very poor. Open highway we get 16, city 13. Several mechanics say that there is nothing wrong. My full size van with a V-8 got better gas mileage. Brake pads last about six months, tires about a year.

Great Van

clevershark, 07/22/2002
LX 4dr Ext Minivan

My wife and I have used this van like a truck. We have hauled doors, concrete, lumber, 36" TV and entertainment center, and tons more. Plus our 3 kids. We can haul more then our friends Durango.

T&C LXi Review after 100k miles

JLaw, 08/02/2002
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

At first when I was forced into a minivan for the family my thoughts where no pleasant. However this minivan has been an excellent vehicle no major work at all for 100k miles. Just a bottle of Prolong in the tranny and engine... I never thought I would own a Chrysler and like it, not bad.

Chrysler Town & Country LXI 1997

Hothotpepper, 08/12/2002
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

We love this car! It is plush with soft leather seats, and has had no problems, except on the first day when it stalled, after which the dealer fixed completely...CHRYSLER, you did good on this one!

Unreliable

Radames , 08/22/2002
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

We loved this car until we had to take it to the shop on numerous occasions to have some (multiple) electrical problems fixed, leaky fuel line (recalled years later). It appears this year they had multiple probems on many of these vehicles. The stereo died after 2 days, etc. If it would have been more reliable it would have been a delight.

15 years of minivans

Wanda, 08/25/2002
LX 4dr Ext Minivan

I've enjoyed Chrylser's minvans for over 15 years, (87 for 10 years, 97 for 5 years) and now that the kids are grown I still can't seem to give it up. This is a true luxury vehicle and it's a joy to drive. It runs smoothly, is quiet, has a great sound system and has plenty of power to get me up the mountain roads I frequent. It holds 6 -7 people comfortably on long or short trips. Gas mileage is very good - up to 30 mpg on freeway trips, and about 18 around town. Love the computer readout, too. I can carry lots of stuff from Home Depot, big boxes from Best Buy... all my favorite shopping places.

51050