Used 2006 Chrysler 300 Consumer Reviews

Used 300 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...81

Pros
Cons

This Is What American Sedans Used To Be Like...

John, 09/08/2018
Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car from a family member, who was the original owner. I'm a weird type of 21 yr old -old school- so I love big, RWD American sedans. The car was only serviced at the Chrysler dealership, which was a nice bonus. It had 78,000 miles on it when I got it, 81,000 today. Here are some thoughts on the car. First of all, the exterior design has aged very nicely and still can't be mistaken for anything but a 300. The lines are nice and muscular, and the front fascia is a classic, in my opinion. Performance-wise, the Touring trim level (as well as the Limited) makes use of the Chrysler 3.5 HO (high-output) V6 engine, which was the middle offering in the lineup - above the 2.7 DOHC V6 and below the 5.7 HEMI V8 and 6.1 HEMI V8. The engine strikes a nice balance between the fuel efficiency of the 2.7 V6 and the power of the 5.7 V8. With 250 h.p., the 3.5 is no slouch, and I find it to have above average acceleration for a car this size. It has the power when you need it, and the acceleration is almost V8-like. This engine is generally considered to be the most reliable of the offerings on the 2006 300, as the 2.7 is known for various sludging issues and being generally unreliable. Can't say I know too much about the 5.7 HEMI, but I've heard it isn't as good as the 3.5. The transmission is a 4-speed unit, and its merely adequate. I would have much preferred the 5-speed unit from Mercedes (as this car was built on a modified E-Class platform when Daimler, Mercedes' parent company, owned Chrysler), but the 4-speed is fine. And of course, the rear-wheel drive is awesome. This is how all big American sedans used to be set up. With RWD, the drive is so much more fun and engaging then FWD. The V6 has enough power to do some solid burnouts and get the car into a little slide around tight corners. Suspension-wise, the Touring trim is tuned for a more floaty feel, and I love it. Don't get me wrong, this is no Deville, but the ride is nice and comfortable. As good as the exterior and drivetrain are, the inside is a lacking. One plus is the room - there is plenty of it! It really is enourmous, with plenty of room for four adults, and five in a pinch. The seats on the Touring are listed as "leather" in the Edmunds specs, but they're actually a vinyl material. It's a nice, cheaper leather substitute, as they're very comfortable, feel very similar to leather, and are easier to clean and maintain. The seats themselves are really comfortable, especially the back ones. The Touring doesn't have heated seats as an option, unfortunately. The instrument cluster is clean and simple. There's a lot of storage space, which is nice, especially in the massive trunk (a 3-body unit, if I've ever seen one). The Touring also comes very well-equipped safety-wise, with anti-lock brakes, emergency stability program and traction control standard. There are a few complaints, however. First, visibility is pretty bad with the thin windows and high beltlines; add in a huge c-pillar, and you've got a one-way ticket to Blindspotville. The small windshield is also kind of annoying, as I am often leaning forward to see stoplights. Second, the interior, minus the seats, doesn't feel very luxurious. There's lots of cheap Dodge Charger black and grey plastics, and the buttons and radio controls are also taken straight from Dodge. Also, some pieces just feel cheap, like the plastic chrome piece that surrounds the shifter (the thing lifts right out). In general, it just feels sterile. I wish the interior was like the exterior, but then again, that's how these things were so affordable. Third, the cruise control system is just plain stupid. It's a weird design that has no indicator light on the instrument panel, so the only way you can tell that the cruise is on is a tiny, faint light on the control stalk, which is conveniently placed right behind the steering wheel. The result? You can't see it! Also, engaging it is not very intuitive. The whole system, which I found is directly sourced from Mercedes, is lacking. In reality, though, if the worst I can say about the car is poor visibility, a basic interior and a dumb cruise system, that's a high compliment overall. I love the car, and would highly recommend it for reliability (so far), drivability and personality! *Update* 9/10/19: Unfortunately, the 300 was totaled in September 2018. In the time that I had it, I enjoyed it. Being a Chrysler product, electronic issues slowly accumulated (ABS, ESP, etc), and the repairs were costly. However, I was still generally pleased with the car, and enjoyed it. I replaced it with an '05 Cadillac Deville, and there is no question that the Caddy is the superior car. One year, zero issues, better build quality, more features, superior comfort. The 300 was a nice car with plenty of character, but I'd go 2005 Deville or 2006-2011 DTS, or a Town Car, if big American luxury is your thing, and you've got a sub-$7k budget.

Tranny Problems x4

JIm, 09/03/2008
C 4dr Sedan AWD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Since owning my 2006 300C AWD, I have had it to the dealers 4 times for a shifting problem with the tranny. I can be driving along and with no warning whatsoever, the car acts as if it was put into neutral, engine is running strong, but it won't go anywhere. The dealer(s) (and Tech Support) seem to be having difficulties finding the problem. I'm afraid to take long drives, just in case it happens again. This makes the car not dependable or reliable at all ! Too bad because I really like it otherwise.

Best car i ever bought

anthony89, 02/24/2013
Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car on Dcember 11, 2011 and it had 58,800 miles on it. Since then i have taken about 10 trips in this car. It now has 74,650 miles on it and she is still going strong. All my friends and family love my car. The build quality is amazing there are no rattles or squeaks either. I recomend this car to anybody who is looking for a good used car.

Black beast

stevenik, 09/13/2006
SRT-8 4dr Sedan (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

I was gonna purchase a 5.7L300C which I thought was great during test drive. decided to up to the SRT8,,Im so glad I did. I love this car !! Braking will change your hair do, acceleration next to a so called sports car at a stoplight will have you smiling for miles while looking in the rear view. Bad side, gas miles, brake dust, front spoiler is sooo low, I know I'm gonna break it sooner or later. tranny is alittle rough from 1st to 2cnd. Small prices to pay for this much fun. Ive done 140 in this car effortlessly.

Love this car!

Josh, 06/15/2016
C 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Very nice car. I've got 145,000 miles and it still looks new! The hemi is very responsive and has plenty of power when needed or just for fun. I get a lot of compliments and the design of the car is unique but not overstated. It is definitely made to drive swiftly on the highway but can still corner well for a vehicle that's as big as it is. With regular maintenance and minimal abuse this car will last a long time.

12345...81