Used 1998 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Suburban for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

BIG disappointment

theboys'mom, 07/01/2003
K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I've been a fan of CHEVY since my first car (68 Chevelle). But this Suburban has shaken my faith in the most reliable engine, the 350, ever built. First problem with the transmission at 10k miles, gear replacement. Then 4-wheel drive issues, when in 4-wheel HIGH or LOW the car feels like it is braking when turning the steering wheel; the dealership can't find the problem & said do not use the 4-wheel drive feature (makes sense?). More problems w/ trans. @ 45k miles - lost REVERSE. Since then - an exhaust manifold leak & a head gasket replaced (this SUV only has 53k miles on it). Now A/C problems. AGAIN I say - BIG disappointment!

Best SUV Ever Owned

Best Ever Owned, 10/03/2010
K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased with 42k miles and now at 178k miles and still going. I perform maintenance at local mechanic when needed and never replaced the transmission in 178k miles. Brakes should be larger as others have suggested. Great SUV for families and very safe for highway and local traveling. Awesome camping vehicle for tent camping and now towing large Pop up camper. Recommend to anyone looking for late model large SUV.

1998 DIESEL Suburban

CSpectre, 06/05/2004
C2500 4dr SUV

Say what you want about SUV's.. Bought this 1998 Suburban Diesel.. love it.. 20mpg city 24 mpg hwy.. 6.5 turbo diesel is the way to go.. will buy another paid 1.58 for fuel 6/04

Nice Hauler, but troublesome.

Pats Truck, 05/20/2004
K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased used with 53000 miles. My neighbor is a GM mechanic and told me I'd be putting a water pump on it soon. At 63,000 sure enough, it needed a water pump. Within months started seeing coolant leak again. This time intake manifold gaskets. Researched the internet, seems this is a problem with 5.7 engines. GM's solution...redesign the motor. No service bulletin, no corporate support, fix it yourself. It's unfortunate GM refuses to be honorable and stand behind what is obviously a defect, not normal wear and tear. It ran better after new gaskets but wallet $600 lighter. All in all my family loves it but my instincts tell me to get rid of it soon.

Chevy Quality

carconjam, 06/20/2004
K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought at 20K miles. Exhaust donoughts had to replaced every 35K miles. Electrical problems. Fun rig, but not reliable.

Great truck-built with low quality components

jbaggins, 07/22/2012
K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Granted I did buy this in 2010 with 200,000 miles on it. Interior door handles broke inside. cheap plastic parts throughout break way too easily. Great interior space. Have 4 kids so we all fit comfortably. Rear heat works great, tinted windows and lots of power. It was starting to nickel and dime. Rear end differential parts broke, transmission wouldn't stay in overdrive, lots of electric gremlins left interior lights on randomly due to shorts behind dash. Intake manifold gasket went ($600 repair). Horrible gas mileage. Rusting in bad spots due to poor rust proofing. Water leaks into blower, rusting it out insid. I liked driving it but it was going to bankrupt me keeping it up.

Wow

Ford guy, 08/12/2009
K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had two suburbans now. I normally drive fords but the suburban is just a better rig than the expedition and the excursions is just too damn big. Anyway, it is true that these vehicles have a few weak spots. I have done the intake gasket, the radiator, power steering pump but that is about it. Both my suburbans required the above repairs at the same mileage. They are very predictable and considering how heavy duty these rigs are, not too bad in terms of maintenance. There simply isn't anything out there that can touch the suburban for its combination of utility, comfort, towing capacity, and yes fuel economy. Pound for pound this thing is as efficient as a honda civic.

Perfect for a family of 7

Robert Millsop, 10/20/2002
C1500 4dr SUV

If you need a large SUV, this is the one to get. Plain and simple yet with everything you need. It can carry 7 people comftorably. The gas mileage and fun to drive factors are horrible though.

Great Vehicle, if you can afford the gas

skiingskiman, 11/14/2002
K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it new in '98. Great comfortable ride.We have a 107,000 miles on it and 1 new set of brakes so I'm not sure what all this brake hype is about. We have replaced the alternator, one U joint and the rear a/c pipe and the wiper motor. Other than that its been a great, reliable and comfortable vehicle. We are keeping it for the long haul.... unless gas goes up. Average about 16 MPG and with a 44 gal tank it doesn't get filled up very often

Good so far.

sellinghomes4u, 12/09/2003
K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Best overall large SUV I've looked at. Checked out Explorers and Jeep Grand Cherokee and Durango. All WAY too small for a family. Overall it seems to be a well thought out vehicle. I wonder if some of the people who've rated it so badly perhaps hadn't gotten ones that had been abused wrecked or poorly modified. I also rated it highly on gas mileage. Mine has been averaging 15mpg in mixed driving, it's overall fuel economy isn't much different than my mini-van. I haven't owned it long enough to comment on reliabilty. It's comfortable, quiet, smooth and handles quite well (within the confines of what it is). Overall I'm quite pleased with it.

51050