Used 1998 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Suburban for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

My 1998 Suburban

Chevy11111, 03/07/2004
K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Good solid vehicle, lots of room. No real issues. Fuel economy is not as bad as people think. I get 16 to 17 mpg. Nice ride. Coul come with larger diameter wheels.

Solid, safe and large SUV

kv, 04/30/2009
C1500 4dr SUV

This has been a solid vehicle. We've pulled a 28 foot RV, which does pull pretty tough up some modest hills. Gas mileage pulling the RV is about 7 MPG. Without the RV, it seems to range from 12 to 16 MPG depending on temp and driving habits. Lots of interior room and we love the storage in the back behind the 3rd seat. The dash lights for the hot/cold have been out since we got it. The fan speed no longer works - its always on full blast. The engine has been solid and we have had good luck with it. There are still a lot of these on the road, a true testament to their durability.

Over 200K and still going strong

Mark, 05/21/2010
K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I sold my previous Suburban (1994 and 300K miles) to purchase this one. It came with about 100K on it and was lacking in the routine maintenance department, after fixing and servicing the vehicle it has served us very well. Always starts even at -40 F, its easy to get in and out of (a must for my line of work). Pulls/hauls my 31' camper, the boat, or the car trailer with ease. I now have a little over 215K and still use it regularly with minimal maintenance issues. I would highly recommend this to others. As with any vehicle preventative maintenance and a competent mechanic can make all the difference. In my five years of ownership I have replaced 1 radiator, 2 door handles, and 1 brake line

Our baby saved our lives!

Mary Walker, 12/23/2015
K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle is comfortable to drive and ride in. Location of accessories and controls makes sense and are easily accessible. We were in a nasty collision in a freak ice storm a few days ago. This vehicle cushioned all of us and kept us safe. I am currently looking for another Suburban as I have owned many cars and trucks over the years and am extremely impressed with this vehicle. Kudos to the designers.

what a piece of junk

gimmeatoyota, 04/18/2002
K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

total mistake. dealer un helpful as well as general motors. currently on the 5th set (you heard me) of brake rotors. brake booster failed conviently out of warranty. water pump failed also just out of warranty. 3 shock absorbers literally fell off on the way home from the dealer. replaced alternator at 40k. fuel milage is horrific and it even failed emmissions!! the ride is ok but it rattles going over rough roads so much that you think the doors are falling off. cheap plastic trim and dash too

nice

j.c., 05/02/2002
K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

the only thing i would suggest would be better brakes

Most reliable vehicle on the planet.

Impressed, 12/18/2008
K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle currently has 274,000 miles on it and has been the best vehicle I have ever driven. I have taken it all over the US and parts of Canada. I tow over 5000lbs on a weekly basis. The only things I have had to replace more often than would be common is the brakes. The brakes on this vehicle should have been upsized considerably. The front pads last about 10,000 miles if you are gentle. The water pump was replaced at 120k and again at 240k. No biggie. My Honda has to have it replaced every 60k.

Urban Tank

OffRoading, 06/28/2009
C1500 4dr SUV

I've loved this truck since I bought it. I've been hit 4 times in it, only one required major work and it still runs great and no one was injured. I still get 18 mpg in the city. The transmission tends to go out at 110,000 miles, I know of 4 people that it happened to. Water pump and heater control valve both started to leak around 140,000 miles. Currently have 150,000. The brakes I put on last about 20,000 miles, but the rotor only lasts about 2 or 3 break changes.

The Best SUV EVER!!!!

The Guy, 08/26/2009
K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Ever since I can remember my family has bought nothing but fords until me! I bought this Sub when I turned 16 and have never had a problem. My wife now owns a 2004 Sub my brother and my mom both have 1994 subs and my father has a 2002 Tahoe (but wants more room). These truly are the best SUV's ever!

solid vehicle

m sudduth, 07/09/2002
C1500 4dr SUV

good solid ride for a high milage mix of off road and freeway driving, brakes have been soft since new,but it stops. excellent long ranger on trips for six adults and all luggage.

51050