Skip to main content

Used Spark for Sale
Select your model:
12345...9

Pros
Cons
1 out of 5 stars

Problem car

Anthony Nelson, 10/20/2018
updated 10/26/2020
2014 Chevrolet Spark LS 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for the advertised ease of maintenance, fuel economy and for long commutes. I am very thorough about changing the oil every 3k miles although the manual states to change it every 7k. This car was great for the first 50k miles other than having a small issue with the transmission. At around 35000 miles, it started burning alot of oil, (about 1 quart per 2000 miles, and Chevy has told me that "normal" consumption is up to 1 quart per 1000 miles. I checked the oil once a week, and added what was needed. I was on a long road trip to Texas from Missouri at just under 50k miles when I lost the 4th cylinder. Took dealership over a month to replace the rings and pistons in the 4th cylinder. Currently at about 65k miles and burning a quart of oil every 1k miles. This can't be good for carbon buildup in the engine and am expecting the engine to fail before long. Have been a longtime fan of Chevy, but after this and another problematic purchase before this, I will no longer be buying from a company that refuses to be accountable for their problems creating dependable cars as well as needing government assistance in staying in business...

Also Consider
6 Offers Near Ashburn, VA
Check out current offers on the Buick Encore GX
View Offers
Buick.com
*The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price excludes destination freight charge, tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment. Click here to see all Buick vehicles’ destination freight charges.

Zippy Go Cart

kimburlee, 05/12/2015
updated 11/18/2019
2014 Chevrolet Spark LS 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the car for a few months and put almost three thousand miles on it. I tried the automatic but man, was it lousy. Floorin' it and nothin'. The manual though, fun stuff. I feel like a kid again with my go cart. It's no frills like my go cart but it has AC (not the best but I don't live in Phoenix so whatevs). The sound system ain't that great but I don't care. I got it super cheap and brand new. I love zippin' around town in it. Recently I drove it into the mountains and it was fun! I can imagine the automatic would have sucked up there though. I thoroughly enjoy the interior cloth or whatever it is. Best of all, 38.5 MPG in town. UPDATE 5/12/16 Still love this car. No repairs have been needed. The MPG's have only improved and right now I'm sitting at about 40.5 average. UPDATE 5/14/2018 All six coils went bad last year while it was still under warranty. The car doesn't run the same now even though nothing else is wrong. MPGs have gone down as well, which I believe is related. Other than that it's still going strong and I'm pleased with this cheap and fun little car. Update 11/15/2019 Experienced a valve leak in two of four valve leaks leading to further depreciation of MPGs. Water stained interior seats -- beyond me how. Coolant reservoir sprung a leak and needed constant refilling and there may have been some over heating occurring. I stopped taking it for trips beyond 1 hour. I ended up trading it in recently. I loved that car and the rapid deterioration over the past year was very disappointing. It wouldn't throw a code either so I was unable to get it repaired through warranty.

3.75 out of 5 stars

Blown Motor

got1onme, 03/21/2014
2014 Chevrolet Spark LS 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 4cyl 5M)

I test drove a 2014 Spark at my local dealership, I noticed the "check engine" light was on when the salesman and I returned to the dealership. I like the car's build so I purchased another Spark, one with more up grades on it, It had only 11 miles on it. I bought the car and after just 3 1/2 weeks, the "Check Engine" light came on in my new Spark while on my way home from work white smoke poured out from under the bottom of the car. I am very disappointed because I was so proud of my little car. I am in a rental waiting on GM to send a new motor

2 out of 5 stars

The little red clown car!

Billy Cowan, 07/28/2016
updated 08/07/2020
2014 Chevrolet Spark 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 4cyl CVT)

I kind of compared this to a classic Prius(01) I drove for 10 years. The acceleration is not great, the VCT works well but you have to learn how to drive it. Drive it like a regular car, mileage is 39 mpg, drive it like a hybrid and keep the rpms @ or under 2000 rpm, 47 to 50 mpg. Visibility is great, sound system is good quality and the touch screen setup for personal preferences for operation is good.

5 out of 5 stars

First 19 Days with Update at 9 Months...

Wesley, 12/05/2020
updated 08/26/2021
2014 Chevrolet Spark LS 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my 2014 Spark from a Chevrolet dealership about an hour and a half from my home. It had been driven a little over 76,000 miles, appropriate, in my opinion, for a car that is 7 model years old. I got it for less than half the original sticker price. So far, I have driven over 1,600 miles and have no complaints. I live in a rural area and commute 20 miles, one way, most trips. Most of those miles are on a major state highway, and the Spark is not at all uncomfortable, rough or overly bouncy. It is not a sports car or an SUV, so I don't treat it like one. I don't take off like I'm in a race, nor do I zoom up and down the dirt road that leads to my house. But, I have no problems driving between 50 and 60 miles per hour when appropriate. The night I purchased the car I drove 70 miles per hour on an interstate with no issues. It is no more unstable on windy days or when passing large vehicles than anything else I have driven. I have had to drive in the rain multiple times, and the Spark has done great. The Traction Control does its job, the tires are good, and the paint, windshield and windshield wipers repel water nicely. This is the first car I've owned with a CVT, and it is smoother than any Automatic I have driven regularly. I have filled up with Regular Gas 5 times and have gotten 37.9, 39.5, 39.7, 40.0 and 40.3 miles per gallon. I'm a big guy and around 5'9 but had no trouble adjusting the seat until I found the driving position I want. Leg room and shoulder room are no issue, and head room is excellent. I can fit a 39 gallon bag full of trash behind the rear seat or a week's worth of groceries with no problems: I haven't tried to fold down the rear seats yet. To conclude, my Spark has been, up to now, what I spent two months looking for; an outstanding used car. As of this update, I have now owned the car for a little over 9 months and have driven it over 20,000 miles. My experience has been I take care of it, and it takes care of me. When it codes for an oil change, I make an appointment with a local dealer and get one. The first was at about 7,500 miles or so, and the second was after around 7,700, I think. I've not gone quite 5,000 since then, so I'm expecting over 2,000 more before I need the third. I will probably opt for the recommended engine air filter change at that time, because I live in an area with a lot of dust and have driven the car a lot of miles in a short amount of time. My Spark also performs better, more specifically, it is quieter, the engine is more efficient, and the transmission is smoother, on a cold morning, after a good warm-up, as much as 7 or 8 minutes if the frost is thick. That might be a turn-off to some owners and potential buyers, but it doesn't bother me in the least. Beyond that, I fill up with Regular Gas, usually when I am down to about a quarter of a tank. I have never gone less than 250 miles between fill-ups and have gone as many as 316. For a small car that also is not new anymore, I personally think the range is great, especially, when considering it only holds a little over 9 gallons. As far as MPG, I have yet to get less than about 37.4, and that was in the winter months. Back then, it needed the longer warm-ups, and I was using the defroster and heater. I have gotten as good as about 49.8, and this summer, I've rarely gotten under 47. In the interest of full disclosure, my air conditioner works, but I don't use it, and I try to drive about 50 miles per hour as much as possible. As of now, I would absolutely buy my Spark again.

12345...9