Used 1997 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used S-10 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Pretty Satisfied

Central VA, 05/19/2006

Bought my S10 used 6 years ago, have driven it about 50K miles. Had to replace an alternator, battery and mirror, but otherwise nothing but tires and routine maintenance. Gas mileage isn't very good, but truck is good looking, fun to drive and comfortable. 5 speed and V6 are a good combination. Paid $9000 for it used, according to Edmunds, it's still worth over $4300. Pretty darn good buy as far as I can tell.

Piece of Junk

Jhow0672, 04/01/2004

Only 66,000 miles but already had driveshaft fall off, computer died, radiator leak, water pump died, intake manifold leaked, air-conditioning died, windshield wipers had a manufacturing defect that I fixed myself.. generally unreliable truck.

My S-10

papaptl, 04/12/2004

No mechanical trouble in 14 mos. ownership, even though I just turned 151k mi. I just do regular maintenance and put a set of tires on her.

1997 S10 Etx Cab

Deerehere, 04/19/2004

I bought this truck new 7 years ago. I has been a great running and reliable truck.

Most Reliable Vehicle I Ever Owned

OregonDan, 08/18/2004

I just read through a few of the S-10 reviews and thought I should add my 2 cents. Purchased the truck for $10K drove it over 100,000 miles and never had any problems except for a burned out fuse ($5) and I replaced myself... and I'm NOT mechanically inclined. I sold the truck in 2001 for $5100 with 110K miles and regret not keeping it longer. Used it for commuting to college and hauling firewood. Great little truck. I may have gotten the 1 out of 1000... but sold the truck to a manager at Pepsi for his daughter and he informed me that Pepsi runs a fleet of lil S-10 trucks and all of them have passed 100K miles+ with little to none problems.

Good so far

jpearce, 09/17/2005

Just bought the pickup in sept 2005. It is a black reg cab SB LS/ZR2 model.An excellent, sharp looking truck! I picked it up with only 20,000 miles, being a 1997!! and have put around 600 0n it. So far it is great but the rear wheels' ABS sensor failed and is being replaced on warranty.

Pretty Good Little Truck

Crash, 03/06/2002

LS trim package Ext. Cab. Purchased in March 1997. Vortec V6 w/4-speed automatic tranmission. Current milage - 75k. Not a bad little pickup. The performance is nice, although I think the transmission could be a little more refined. It's had about $600 worth of repair work over the past 5 years, which isn't bad. Despite the problems, the return on my purchase has far outweighed the problems. I am a satisfied customer.

Reliability and Miles

James B, 08/03/2007

I have not had one single major problem with this truck. I absolutly love this truck. When I first bought the truck my freinds said, "The transmission is gonna break down first. 225,000 miles later and still no problem. This is a very well built truck. Truly the heartbeat of my needs and Chevy is truly The Heartbeat of America.

Why Chevy lost me as a customer

Pete792, 06/21/2007

I bought a '97 S-10 brand new, at the end of '96. It was a great looking truck, and appeared to be a decent vehicle when I test drove it. Little did I know what a lemon this piece of junk would turn out to be! Until I bought this truck I was a Chevy fan. But it didn't take long before I felt like they had taken advantage of me. I read many of the reviews, and was amazed I had identical problems with my S-10. Like the rear view mirror falling off, and the gas gauge breaking after about 3 years, and the A/C problems. Not to mention the engine repeatedly over heating and eventually burning up and had to be replaced. Pieces continue to fall off and things break regularly. Avoid this lemon!

Sweet Trucks

Gomer Pile, 01/14/2003

S-10s are awesome little trucks, especially the 4.3 with a five speed. These things are verry quick for compact trucks. Quick, nimble, good gas mileage, looks good doing it. This particular truck has the ZQ8 suspension package and an SS motor. Also it has been lowered and has performance shocks and tires to enhance it's qualitys.

51050