Used 1997 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Great truck. 97 Zr2 S10 4x4.
By Carl Shepard

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I would recommend this truck to anyone. Great performance, great power, goes excellent in snow & mud. I have the 97 ZR2 S10 4x4 5 speed with the 4.3 engine. Compared to Ford, previously owned, there's no comparison. This truck will run plum off & leave a 4.0 Ranger!

Decent truck
By Travis

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I've owned this truck since 2004 (I bought it with 120K miles) and I've put about 50K miles on it. Recently I've been using it to do a 400 mile round trip each week: its comfy for the long ride, its been reliable, and I regularly get between 22 and 25 mpg on these long trips. I've had no major problems with it. About 10K miles ago, the fuel gauge stopped giving an accurate reading (it drops rapidly and then hovers above empty). And simple maintenance is all but impossible because everything is packed-in tightly. Granted I'm not mechanically inclined... Installing a custom stereo was a pain-- the dash is hard to remove. I'd love to get a new car, but this thing just won't seem to die.

Comfortable seats; compact, car-sized design; non-descript look

Since this truck is weak on power anyway, it might be worth it to reconfigure the engine for efficiency.

Big Results from a Little Truck
By Jay

1997 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my truck used from a friend who had two trucks. This is a great and dependable truck. I use my truck for work and decided since I was going to school to drive it. I drove from North Carolina to El Paso Texas no issue. The only thing that I did was change the timing belt and started using synthetic oil. Awesome truck!!

1997 S10 2dr LS Regular Cab
By Mawarikomi

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my truck used from a dealer at 44k miles and took it only to 120k before I had enough. Quality was atrocious - interior panels cracked and fell off, mirrors fatigued and broke off. The truck would not start in humid (90%+), cold weather (especially 32-45F), really cold weather was fine. I got a head gasket leak at 80k and had to repair the tranny at about 110k (both those seem normal for the driving I did so not really a gripe). My brake lines blew out despite having been regularly inspected. Here's a positive note, the engine was awesome despite the head gasket and tranny. If the rest of the truck could have kept up with the engine the truck would have been a keeper.

Instrument and panel layout convenient; controls handy. Fluid checks relatively easy.

Make engine compartment less cramped; I had to reach through the wheel well to change plug wires; if manufactured again, improve build quality.

Tough little truck
By S10man

1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck was given to me by grandfather after he died and it has been very reliable. I have just turned 16 and I've been rough with this truck and it still holds up. The 4.3 V6 was the best V6 ever made. Actually it is a 350 block with two cylinders chopped off. It has the same size pistons and everything. It has a lot of power and will still lay you back in your seat with over 106,000 miles on it. The only thing I've ever had to do to it was change the oil and I put a K&N lifetime air filter in it. The only thing that has gone wrong with it is the compressor had a leak that I fixed easily. Other than that it has been great.

4x4, alloy wheels,easy to work on, great power in 4.3 V6. it's a Chevy, enough said.

Aftermarket cd player, two ten inch subs in a box behind seat in extended cab part, upgraded tires, put real seats in it not jump seat.