Used 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

2006 Super Sport
By Remy-Z

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I traded in a 2001 Buick Regal GS for the SS. I had high hopes after owning the Regal for four years, and without question I'm not disappointed by the Monte. The shape of the outside is handsome without being obnoxious. The interior is spacious, especially for a coupe, seats my 6'5" frame nicely, and the interior is a nice improvement from the Regal, which was already nice. Of course, the focal point of owning a Super Sport is the performance, and this one does not disappoint. Just from the feel, it blows the memory of my '87 Monte SS out of the water.

The engine is definetly the favorite. The LS4 is a stomper, beating out quite a few "built" engines I've had the pleasure of enjoying.

With most GM cars, I tend to dislike the materials the interiors use. I like the seats, the shifter and switches and gauges are an improvement, but the plasticky stuff can be trashed for something better.

06 Monte Carlo SS
By Chris Paffett

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have a bias for the shape of the roofline on 2006-2007 Monte Carlos. For me it has lots of interior room, something that cost above 40K in a Asian or Euro coupe. It is very fast when you stand on it. I have upset at least the following imports; Audi Q7 with V-8, BMW 650 convertble, Porsche boxster. Yes it is a front wheel drive and a amiable performer one click down from the Pontiac GTO and the last year of the Z28 Camaro. It will deliver 25 to 28 mpg on flat highways when driven at speed limit, I average about 23 mpg on highway due to spirited driving. The Goodyears hum at around 45-55 mph then get quiet. Plenty of trunk room, leather seats are firm and so is suspension. Like it a lot.

Hands free phone when paying for OnStar.

Coin slots or storage near the cup holders. Door pockets will swallow coins due to drainage slots and rattle when shut. Make a better seat back adjustment lever.

Monte
By Jimmy

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LT 2dr Coupe w/1LT (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Since I've had my Monte I have been going on a lot of road trips and have put a lot of miles on it. I have driven it across various states, into Canada, through snowy mountain passes, and this car has always gotten me from A to B flawlessly! I realized that I like front wheel drive when I was driving on snowy roads (you dont fishtail or lose control as easy as rear wheel) This is a good road tripping car. Though I did wake up one morning, started the car, and realized that some how the power steering pump went out overnight, being under warranty, the dealer took care of it quick. Other then that I believe this car is dependable, I have definitely put it through the test and it passed.

Ipod jack, heated seats, information center, dual exhaust (nice rumble), powerful V-6, tire pressure sensor (though its a pain to set) comfortable ride, digital compass, fold down back seats, roomy trunk.

I do wish this model had the classic Monte carlo symbol somewhere on the car, Impala still has its symbol, why can't Monte?

SS Muscle is Back
By Patrick

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I am very pleased by the performance and handling of this FWD "muscle car" from GM. The ride is very civilized, however the seats are not well bolstered. GM removed about $1500 worth of optional equipment, such as the guage package, leather shifter and boot, and the passenger power seat (to mention a few). I found my 2003 SS to be more comfortable. If they had just left the creature comforts alone, and just added the V-8 and changed the front clip styling, they would have hit a home run. I get between 30 and 35 mpg on the highway/9-12 mpg in city driving. It is touchy keeping the DOD in 4 cyl. mode, but that does improve fuel economy by about 20%.

I added stripes for a sporty ppearance reminiscent of the 1970 Chevelle SS, "SS" stitching on the headrests like the Impala, and I replaced the "truck wheels" with a set of Z06 Corvette styled wheels, that all grab the attention of onlookers.

GM should have just left the car alone, apart from adding the LS4 engine and changing the front clip styling. Offer a set of stylish wheels and a two option preset for the power seats. And, rear wheel drive would help. Then I wouldn't have to answer the FAQ "Is it rear wheel drive?"

Amazing car for the money
By brandon

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have fallen in love with this car. It has been a blast to drive. Only thing makes it so great is that the 3.9 liter engine is breath taking for the gas mileage. It is amazing, it just smokes all my friends cars in everthing. I could never ask for nothing more from this car. It delivers all a guy going into college could want. muscle car power with the looks and comfront of luxury sedan which IS nothing more that anyone could ask for the price. Best car I have driven in a longtime. just a work of art in every way. A total dream to drive. You will love this car for the money

Remote start, ipod attachment, gas mileage. Just everthing is perfect. But by far my alltime favorite is 240HP that 3.9 liter can dish out, plus sounds like a beast

Nothing at all