Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 240 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

What Happend
By Jason

2004 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I like the new body style. I think its a vary nice car. And the only complaint I really have is the dic driver info center. The car has some pep not much would've liked to see a 2.4l and OnStar on the base, but all in all it's a car to point a to point b, nothing unique about it.

Although the DIC is junk, it still gives you vital info.

Move the DIC by the guages not in the radio thats just dumb. If you have an error message you can't see the clock or temp. Oh and please standard ABS and traction control! I don't know whose idea it was to merge the dic and radio but it was poorly designed.

We love our Malibu
By Spencer

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Buying the Malibu was a complete accident. It was dark on the car lot and we weren't looking for a Chevrolet. The interior and exterior styling and the roomy interior blew us away. We have put 30,000 miles on the car in two years, long distance and local miles. It has a peppy 6 cyl. engine. Visibility for highway driving is wonderful. We get 38 mpg on highway driving - almost 500 miles to a tank. (no lie) I can drive it from southern Ohio to Buffalo before filling up. It camps: Rear seat folds down and makes enough room to take 2 people, the dog and all the camping gear for several days comfortably. There was a steering column issue- replaced free; no more troubles.

The information center tells you quickly and easily every single thing you want to know; mpg, trip mileage; fuel range, alerts, etc. Sunroof, remote start, fold down rear seat, adjustable pedals, and steering wheel. Roomy, roomy trunk. Lots of air bags. CD player and radio - pretty decent sound.

Clone it. If we could buy a brand new car today that was exactly the same vehicle, we'd be out there doing it right now. We will probably drive this car until it (or we) dies of old age. Not smart perhaps but when you have something that works this well, why mess with it?

Sometimes, surprises are good things.
By VB

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I was in the market for a mid-size sedan last summer, as my previous car had become unbearable uncomfortable - I'm 6'1, and I used to drive a Corolla. Now, my Malibu is nowhere near as good on city MPG (19 as opposed to 26), but it also has an engine twice the size and weighs 600lbs more. The highway is a different matter, though; I average 31MPG when I cruise at 70-75MPH in my Malibu. That is phenomenal for a big V6...my old Corolla got 37, but was pushed around by the wind. The power around town is good, though. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat for a student's first car, or anyone who wants some comfort.

Sharp enough to pass for a Euro, highway MPG, power steering.

Relocate the trunk release, tint the window more, a standard 16/60R wheel setup would look sharper.

Cheap!
By Gbarclay

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought car brand new and within a few months, the check engine light came on. It has been going on and off for the past 3 1/2 years. Car has been to dealer 6 times for problems with gas cap, problems with fuel sensors, and various other fuel- related issues. ABS light came on and went off for no apparent reason. Used to get 34 MPG, but since dealer has "fixed" my car 6 times, it now only gets 24 MPG. Interior fabric is cheap and stains extremely easily. CDs get stuck in the CD player. My last new car was a Lumina in 1994 and I loved it. Hate this Malibu. Trading it in.

Steering is good and gas mileage decent. I do like the color and exterior styling. Trunk is roomy- plenty of room for groceries.

GM needs to take note of repeated requests for improved interior finishing quality.

Still is Smooth
By Shortyflow

2004 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I had bought this vehicle to become a pizza delivery driver. It was my first vehicle with 45,000 miles on it, it now has 76,000 . it runs good and it drives great. Brakes are all that I have had to do.

I like the handling and the fact that it feels like a you know, big body. Recently put 5 point bucket seats in it. I tell you driving is the ish now

More style