Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 240 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Buyer Beware
By Buer beware

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is one of the most fun, comfortable cars that I have ever purchased from GM. It is unfortunate that the quality is horrible. I have had the steering replaced 3 times, the radio doesn't work properly, the ignition has been replaced, the transmission gaskets have been replaced. The sun visor has been replaced because the glue that holds it together melts in the sun. GM does not stand behind its products. After 22 years of owning nothing but GM products, I wouldn't purchase another one. Nice ride, but horrible workmanship.

Roomy interior, rides well, handles well in mountains, snowy roads, gravel etc. Good fuel econonmy (when it is not being repaired)

The DIC should show time, temp when muted or if another message, such as no power steering.

Good car but cheap parts
By rita, orland park, i

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Chevy less than 4 years and I am unable to get my hatchback trunk open. It is very frustrating. My mechanic states that it is the motor in lock to open the hatchback. I am sure if I take it to the dealer, it will be about $300 to fix it. Luckily I have a nice reasonable mechanic, although he lives far so it is a bit of a hassle to get my car worked on. I was very pleased with my car until this point but now I am convinced that Chevy uses cheap parts and I will not buy a Chevy again. I bought a new Astro van before this car and all I did was put money into it. It cost me a small fortunate in repairs. Never again will I buy a GM car.

Good pickup, nice ride.

Install better parts.

Malibu Falling Apart Slowly
By Malibu not so much

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

So when I purchased my car it was in top shape. Now I take care of my car. Never a mile over 3000 without an oil change, I pay to have it cleaned. Now the problem with my Malibu is that the parts to the interior are inferior. The less expensive plastic breaks on dash with the tap of passenger knees. The gas cap sensor has gone out at 55000 miles. I have replaced blinker bulbs on 4 occassions and have only had the car to a little over 1 year. Power and comfort a plus, If only Barbie could see her Malibu now.

Leather seating, V6, Gas mileage.

Use more durable parts in the car.

I love my BOO
By smbmp

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2004 Malibu in March of 08. It had 3400 miles on it at the time. I love my car it havent given me any trouble yet. Hopefuly it won't any time soon. Since I got it I have only had to do the normal things like oil and brakes. Oh I can't get my gas cap to stay on. The only thing I dont like about these cars is there front end is ugly. They look like bugs. The car has plenty of power and great handeling once you get use to the torque steering. I think it was wort every penny I paid for it

The auto start, and how smooth it rides, and size.

Whatever makes that cliking sound on the steering column.

Incredible
By heckandarn

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have the 3.5L V-6. I have to tell everyone something. I have never owned a car that would get 39.9 mpg on the highway at 65 mph before. I do now! As incredible as it may seem, that's what I get on a long trip with the cruise control on. With the 200hp v-6 it's very fun to drive! It's been a long time since I've been in a car of this quality, at this price! It's exciting!

Power, MPG. Fun to drive!