Used 1997 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Malibu for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Could be cheaper to maintain

Would I do it again?, 01/31/2009
4dr Sedan

Rebuilt transmission $2,500, replaced steering rack $800. Rear brake adjusters seem not to work well on this model which causes high front brake wear. Have put two sets of rotors on and many pads on front. Have replaced the water pump twice. Due to the way the water pump is driven from the timing chain. It has a long shaft. That is subject to a high side load on the front bearing from the oil pressure activated chain tensioner .Chevy dealer here wants $800 plus to do the repair. Spring rates on the front struts are high which causes the front shocks ride at a extended height that causes early front shock failure. Replaced 3 sets. The car now has 166k and still going

35mpg v6 + reliable!

chevyman, 05/14/2006
LS 4dr Sedan

1 alternator and tires/brakes in 135,000 miles! Gets 35 mpg and the new cars with V4's can't do that! Great car. Too bad used American cars are worthless, but then again, why would I ever sell it?

She's a good car

OftheNorth, 03/09/2007
LS 4dr Sedan

I know lots of people have had problems with their Malibu's, but I've had nothing. The car was purchased new and has been driven in the mountains, cross country, in city commuting mode and more. Its never failed me. It's currently serving me well in the Canadian north, where it fires up every time, even in -40 weather (without being plugged in). It gets good gas mileage (~35mpg) if one goes easy on the highway, but in city traffic, the best I can usually muster is 22 mpg. Not good there! It's a comfortable roomy car, and would make for a good first auto for a new driver. It's safe, not too fast and they're cheap to get parts for (most of the time!) While I'm no Chevy fan, iIdo like this car.

1997 Chevy Malibu LS-V6

Anthony, 11/15/2008
LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2002 with 90,000 miles. It now has 171,000 and I only had to replace 3 parts, altenator, water pump, and thermostat. They were really cheaps parts and I've never had to replace anything else besides tires and brakes. It's a really good car and I recommend it to anyone. I've added a cold air intake for a few extra horses and it shows

Love it!

Runt, 11/29/2005
LS 4dr Sedan

Not one problem EVER! Love this car and wouldn't trade it for anything. Will be my Son's car next year, that is how much I think of this car.

Not a bad car

Cory R. Yost I, 04/09/2007
4dr Sedan

Ever since I have had my license I have always bought GM cars. I believe in supporting the American auto companies and I have never had very many problems with them, and if I did they are cheap to fix. I recommend this car to someone that is looking for a standard and reliable vehicle!

okay

Verrell Haywood, 04/22/2003
LS 4dr Sedan

A lot of issues, except with the engine and transmission.

'97 Malibu Review

MalibuFan, 05/27/2007
LS 4dr Sedan

I bought the Malibu used with 40,000 miles on it. It was our second Malibu, with the first one totaled in a wreck. We drove the second Malibu to almost 140,000 miles before selling it. Overall, a good car with good gas mileage. We did replace the power steering pump, all of the front pulleys, and alternator during our 100,000 miles of use. At the time we sold it, the head gaskets were needing to be replaced (A $900 expense if done at the Chevy dealership). We would purchase another Malibu.

Car

Chris Johnson, 03/26/2002

Nice

Proud Malibu owner!

JOhnny Rios, 04/01/2003
4dr Sedan

My 1997 Malibu I bought in Jan of 1998, with only 2k miles on her. Since then I have placed 94k miles on my 3.1 v6 motor! It been a awesome car, I do alot of trips between San Antonio, TX USA and Mexico City with is a hard 1,216 mile drive thru deserts and mountain. My Malibu has not acted up once, PLEASE BE ADVISE! you must do regular oil changes and etc.. Alot of people complain but they dont take care of their car!

51050