Used 2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Money pit
By Dillon

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Chevy HHR with 58000 miles on it from a good dealership. I have had problem after problem luckily most of it covered by my warranty I bought with the car. The major problem seems to be the parts on this car wear out fast replaced fuel lines and the calibers and the window switches I have not even had it a year. One last thing I take care of my cars I always wash them the winters are not long where I live and certain parts of the exterior like to rust particularly the rear doors Ive noticed it on other hhrs as well. I like the inside of this car and thats it I grew up in a Chevy family but I wouldn't recommend getting this car.

The little wagon that could!
By Bill D

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I originally purchased this used 2009 HHR with 75,000 miles for it's cargo space. I love that the rear seats fold down flat and even with the cargo area. Plus the area is humongous! Since this is the 2LT model it does have a few extra bell & whistles. The remote start and heated leather seats are a nice option here in N.E. PA. I recently drove it for over 6 hours to visit my grand kids. I never once had to readjust the seat to get more comfortable during the long ride. The thought never even entered my mind. It was very windy during the trip and the wind noise at the driver's window was annoying. The ride was smooth and the gas miles was as expected. We had an ice storm and then snow on top of the ice. The HHR did not do well on hills under these conditions. In fact the ride was a little scary. I purchased snow tires for all four wheels. The next day we had more snow, welcome to N.E. PA. What a difference with the snow tires. I was able to keep up with the 4WD SUVs without feeling any lost of control. I have a steep driveway that I couldn't get up with the regular tires. With the snow tires there is no problem at all. The HHR does have two lower gears you can shift into if needed. However it would have been nice to have a slap shift with the automatic trans. It would have also been nice to have a couple of USB ports. I'll hve to get an adapter to fit in the useless cigarette lighter.

Under the radar
By Mitch

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

No problems in over 8 years. Purchased used with low miles. Handles well on Midwest snow and ice. Electronic steering does not give much feedback, but is precise. Brakes are adequate. Good upright, supportive seats. Relatively small, vertical windshield may be disconcerting. Easy entry to front seats. HHR handles heavy loads well. Generally a comfortable ride at highway speeds.

2009 HHR - My Pride and Joy
By HHR owner

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 30,000 miles for $7500. It now has 279,000 miles and the only reason why I have to put her down is because it has been hit at least 7 different times since I own her. The first time the door was hit by someone pulling of their driveway. The back truck door was hit by a car sliding in snow. The left side was hit at least three times because I had her parked at a corner. The right left side was hit on the top, not sure how that one happen. The last one was the left side of the passage door was hit by someone who decided to run a stop sign. I drove this car from Trenton NJ to the Bronx 6 days a week, and she always came through for me. It was a true wonder. I took her when there was a recall by Chevy, for the ignition problem but she manage to get through that. Though she was not the best looking car out there she continue to ride better than any other car. I never fixed the dents and continue to ride her as is until the last hit. The insurance company because of the damage "totaled her." In all the years that I have driven cars I have never had one as loyal and reliable as this one. I have had two Camarys and they could not even come close. I am currently looking for another HHR. Chevy did right by me when they made this one.

Don't buy this car. I still
By Linda sheppard

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon Panel LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have lt2 large engine. I bought it with 9000 miles on it. The first year I had new struts installed. New catalitic converter, in shop now to have sensor replaced. The thing that shows tire pressure doesn't work. Cannot keep pressure in right front tire. This year alone I have spent one thousand dollars. Will trade it very soon. Beware. It rides very rough, like a truck without shocks. Very hard on tires. Lots of road noise. I hate this car. In my 76 years I've never had but one other car as bad and it was a 2981 Chevy t top Monte Carlo. No more Chevys for me.