Used 2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews - 170 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

GM Never Again!
By Billy

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Rear main seal failed while on an out-of-state trip over the Christmas holiday (2017). As a result, the top end incurred damage. When we did some online research, we learned there was a “Service Bulletin” affecting our car. At 110K miles, we were a mere 5K miles away from being beyond the warranted coverage limits. We contacted Chevrolet dealership and made arrangements for the repair. Initially, Henna Chevrolet (Georgetown, TX) was very accommodating, providing a brand new loaner vehicle while the top end was replaced. It took their mechanics a couple of times to get the repair done correctly (?!) and as a result of the back-in-forth with the CS rep, the lovefest started to wear thin. Our Equinox was never returned to satisfactory condition and it still makes some worrisome noises from the engine &/or transmission. We just paid it off and had really hoped it would hold up better than it has! This is my wife’s car; I drive a Ford truck. It’s Fords all the way from here on out -& she agrees!

Don’t buy it!
By Samantha

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought myself this car for when I had kids. A month after I bought it i found out I was pregnant. Loved this car for the first few month. No problems but then the windshield wiper transmission went out. Not that big of a deal to me at the time. Then I had a speed sensor go out. All within a year of buying the car. Then just after Christmas of 2017 and a few days after I found out I was pregnant again the engine blew. I had my 5 month old in the car and it was during a cold snap of temps below 10 degrees. Towed it to the dealership and after $800 in diagnostic work told me i needed a whole new engine that would cost $8000. A pressure release valve got too much moisture in it and froze and caused piston 1 to blow. This valve is located in the engine but Chevy would not cover it under the warranty. Thankfully my dad is a mechanic so I was able to buy an engine for around $2500 and he put it in. But now I have a temperature sensor that keeps going out! This car has been nothing but problems and I can’t wait to get rid of it.

Unreliable suv
By Darlene Lawrence

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Suv shakes when it cam to a stop last year. Was told need to chang oil frequently, earlier than when the book tells you too. This week my car was starting to shake when I came to a stop so I was going to change oil that day but ran thru a bunch of water in the am an vehicle shut off. It finally restarted after 10 min but now it shakes really bad at stops the engine goes down to half power and it shuts off. To to repairman and he syayef he couldnt find anythin wrong. I picked it up it still shook alot at stops and shut off in my driveway thankfully. The repairman told is that the engines are junk in these late models. I dont know what to do. Any suggestions?

GM, better without you
By Lorraine Roberts

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I am an original owner of a well maintained 2011 Chevy Equinox, mileage 37,600, used daily but not for long trips. I had no issues with the vehicle until 9/28/2018 when my vehicle broke down and I had it towed to a local shop. After running tests the mechanic advised me the transmission had to be replaced. I called GM Customer Service, and we agreed that the warranty had expired but due to the fact that the mileage was so low a case was opened. It was suggested by the GM rep. that, if they would consider assisting me with the transmission costs, it was advantageous that they provide towing of my vehicle to an authorized dealership for a diagnosis. Shortly after the vehicle arrived I was advised by the dealership that I was responsible for a $170 diagnostic fee. After waiting a few days I told GM I needed a rental car because I live alone and there is no public transportation. They said they would include the rental and related costs when reviewing my case. After five days GM transferred my case to the next level because the dealership was not cooperating and the repsaid he did not have sufficient authority to deal with it. He did say that he would make a request that the next rep make a commitment to me for the escalating car rental costs. After two weeks, the diagnostic report confirmed that the transmission had to be replaced. GM called and said they would do nothing for me. I was left with a disabled vehicle requiring a new $4500 transmission, in a dealership I did not like, a car rental fee of $450, $170 diagnostic fee and 2 weeks of aggravation. Had I not called GM my car would have been repaired locally and on the road in five days. The transmission should have not failed on a vehicle with 37,600 miles.

Don’t get this car
By Michelle Brown

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2011 equinox used and it has been nothing but trouble. I’ve had to have the catalytic converter replaces about 60k miles, the exhaust manifold replaces about 89k, the wheel hub and axle shaft assembly replaces at 97 k- now at 103k just past my extended car max warranty the engine has a plastic guide for the timing chain break- the timing chain is loose and has been creating shavings of metal that have gotten into the engine and killed it- it will cost about 5000 for a reconditioned engine to 9000 for a new one- getting rid of the car!!!! I’m a teacher and on a budget and can’t afford to keep fixing this piece of crap !!!! I will never get a Chevy or American car again. I love the size and style of my Equinox but beware—- Looks are deciding and it’s a piece of junk!!!!!!!