Used 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe Consumer Reviews - 80 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Naturally Aspirated Cobalt SS (65k to 85k)
By Trevor

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

What I really like about the car: The sound system hits hard, the steering is smooth and tight yet controllable at high speeds, the battery on this thing is amazing. I've left my key forward for hours and came back to it and it starts right up. You can use the cigarette charger to charge right from the battery. The car doesn't even need to be on! Why haven't my other cars done this!? Seriously good fuel efficiency! I fill up the tank for 21 dollars and i can drive hours on the highway and only go through a half tank! Its a fun little town car to be frank, and its good in the snow( and I mean really good). No slips or close calls all winter. You have clutch control! The back seats fold down for easy storage of fishing poles etc. The thing i can say is that there is rust building up in places but that worries me why? I've had to replace the clutch but now i'm better at driving manual so it won't happen for a very very long time. This car needs frequent oil changes , its just too sporty not to, and it drives much better after each oil change. I've also replaced the wipers for some reason they were broke. It's a great little car just make sure the one your buying lives to it's name....the COBALT> THanks.

One of the lucky few
By ChunkBunny

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Cobalt seems to have a lot of duds, judging by reviews. I guess I am one of the lucky few that got a good one. Every time I take it to a mechanic they tell me that it is in amazing condition. I bought mine new in 2007 and it has been my daily driver since. It has also been on many 16+ hour road trips and has been in minor accidents twice. I have never had a single mechanical issue and I have never had to do more than regular maintenance. Road noise can be a bit of an issue and the ride is a bit rough. Seats are not very comfortable at all, but they haven't worn out on me yet. I just started having issues with the dash rattling at 150,000 miles. The extras that come with the LT (level 2) are great, especially remote start, which I use every single day. This is not a car you can abuse. It is not something you can drive like a maniac and not maintain. When you consider the target audience for this car, that may be why they have so many issues. In my opinion $16,000 for a low maintenance car that lasts 9+ years without a single major issue is a good one.

Petey's Cobalt
By David Peterson

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had very few problems. With the exception of the 5 speed manual transmission. Poorly designed manual transmission. The transmission end rail pin part number 90490900 keeps breaking. The car has left me stranded several times. Once this little pin snaps you have no connection to the transmission. You are either stuck in neutral or one particular gear. Wish I had chosen a 2008 it has a turbo instead of the supercharger and has 60 horsepower more. Back than a superchargers boost could not be varied without changing the pulley system. That has changed in recent years.

Back than a manual transmission was the way to go. A 5 or 6 speed manual beat a 4 speed automatic any day of the week.

Nothing but a headache
By Chelsea

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Seemed like a great car at first for the price but all went downhill as soon as I paid for it. The driver side door handle broke the first day, soon after the inside one. A month later a hole in the flex pipe came up making the car extremely loud. Mechanic shop said the part was $1,000. Yeah. With that came a ton of other problems to come up. I wish I wouldn't looked around a little more instead of falling for the sporty body style and if you have kids in car seats its a nightmare.

Manual is the way to go
By Rob

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my chevy cobalt for 5 years now. It is a 2 door coupe manual transmission. I have 145000 miles on it and the only thing that u have replaced on it is the suspension. Replaced it with Monroe shocks and struts because the stock is [non-permissible content removed]. It may not be quick but the best car I have ever owned