Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews

Used Cobalt for Sale
Select your model:
12345...51

Pros
Cons

Best car experience ever

K. Bristol, 07/23/2015
LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

To be fair, I drove my Cobalt 323,624 miles, no extra maintenance, 37 lifetime combined mpg, 40 mpg in final two years, beautiful blue paint in great shape after 10 years in the Colorado sun, interior decent given its use, engine in perfect condition. Transmission finally gave after 2-3 car-lives. I get paid for driving, and this car not only paid for itself, but then 4 more times! There is nothing wrong with these cars. Miles were approximately 50/50 miles city/highway. And no, I'm not slow, I drive assertively, but not aggressively. Two occasions I scored 44 mpg round trip Denver to Gr. Junction. Car has been sold to a junk dealer, who replaced transmission, and has since resold it. I've heard from the new owner, and the car is still in service.

11 years and 203K with a Cobalt

markjennings, 10/10/2016
LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new in 2005, LS model 2 door with the 2.2 and automatic. Has a hair over 200K now. Nothing has ever gone wrong with the engine or transmission, it's been a dependable car that has never left me stranded. I love the fact I've never been faced with a $900 timing belt change because the Cobalt uses a chain. The car still runs like new and always manages to get nearly 40 mpg on the highway. I've had all the usual issues that Cobalts seem to have, control arms, wheel bearings, sway bar end links, struts, ignition switch, and a few minor electronic glitches through the years. I consider this stuff mostly normal wear items and was honestly no different than the 1998 Civic I owned previously, the big difference is the Cobalt is much, much cheaper to fix. I'd recommend the cobalt without hesitation, they are basic cars, somewhat spartan in feel, but mine has been a dependable and economical mode of transport.

It's been a great car!

silveeto, 01/21/2013
LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Cobalt for 3 years. Bought with 80,000km and now have 155,000km on it. Aside from oil changes and regular maintenance I haven't had to do a thing to this car. It's fun, zippy, good on gas, and being fully loaded with leather and heated seats I really can't complain about much. The only problem is one that many 2005 gm cars had - intermediate steering shaft gets sloppy. Kind of annoying, but have never felt unsafe... just a 1/4" of play in the steering wheel. My mechanic said it was safe to drive as is or I could spend a small fortune replacing it, so obviously I went the free route, lol. Other than that it's been a fantastic car!

2005 Chevy Cobalt major problems

shadow076, 07/07/2014
LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

On 6/22/14, I was coming home from Philadelphia and while on the Brunswick Highway, my 2005 Chevy Cobalt's dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree and I lost my power steering, traction control, brakes, abs, engine lock, door locks were clicking on and off and I had to pull over 4 times off the highway. My odometer didn't work either. This also made my transmission jerk and slip. It was so bad that when it was switching gears, it was making my entire car shake. I was afraid for my life. I nearly crashed into a semi-truck because my brakes and power steering didn't work. Also, I couldn't go below 65mph on the highway because the transmission was slipping. I made it home but I was still shocked

A very dangerous car

Cheri, 12/15/2015
2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When I bought the car I loved it. The body looked new, the inside was well maintained and it had great sound from the stereo. One day I went to unlock the driver door with my key fob, it unlocked but the door would not open. The next day I drove it and smelled some wires burning. I took it to Auto Zone and a mechanic there told me to park it before it catch on fire. He said it was a relay problem which is very dangerous. I called JDByrider and they told me to have it towed to them, I did just that. They pretty much told me I was lying about the problem and the only thing they wanted was a car payment. Not we will try and fix it or get you something else. I only had the car for seven months and still had warranty. I gave the car back over a month ago and they still have it and still want a car payment. Never again will I buy from these people and after doing a research, this 05 cobalt is a very dangerous car. The dealers know it but trying to cover it up.

12345...51