Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews - 251 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Economy Yes!
By Allen Tayler

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Parts readily available, easy to work on. Plain car, gets you where u want to get.

11 years and 203K with a Cobalt
By markjennings

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new in 2005, LS model 2 door with the 2.2 and automatic. Has a hair over 200K now. Nothing has ever gone wrong with the engine or transmission, it's been a dependable car that has never left me stranded. I love the fact I've never been faced with a $900 timing belt change because the Cobalt uses a chain. The car still runs like new and always manages to get nearly 40 mpg on the highway. I've had all the usual issues that Cobalts seem to have, control arms, wheel bearings, sway bar end links, struts, ignition switch, and a few minor electronic glitches through the years. I consider this stuff mostly normal wear items and was honestly no different than the 1998 Civic I owned previously, the big difference is the Cobalt is much, much cheaper to fix. I'd recommend the cobalt without hesitation, they are basic cars, somewhat spartan in feel, but mine has been a dependable and economical mode of transport.

The car that never stops falling apart
By Chad Thompson

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

In two years I've put over 2k into this car in repairs and paid 3k for it. And it still has things that need fixed but something else more serious breaks before I can get the money up to fix the things that aren't more stringent. Repairs are (that I can remember):
Main seal
Front Struts
Gas lines
Brake lines
A control arm that randomly broke
And brakes and rotors all around
Tire rods
Thermostat
Transmission control module
Things that still need fixed:
Intermediate steering shaft
Sway bar mounts
Rear brake drums full rebuild
Electrical problems:
Had to destroy key fab because it randomly made my alarm go off when near car
Most lights in interior don't work
Interior:
Good design and comfy for a taller guy
Leather has worn
Plastic has broken and makes noises
Paint and body:
The roof paint and top off fenders paint is peeled
No rust!
Dents easy
Drive quality:
Good handling
A nice feel in acceleration
Front noise will never go away
Wind noise will be heard
Overall:
The car is cheap and has given me a good year but it has consistently had problems. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. At this point I'm just enjoying it being paid off.

2005 POS
By Jay P.

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my cobalt 2 1/2 years ago used from a dealer. Everything worked well and seemed like a decent car for me. Fast forward about 45,000 miles and I've put almost 3,500 dollars in it just in the past couple months to keep it on the road. I'm not beating the car to death and probably take better care of it than most. And just this week it seems I have more problems developing, on top of my already deteriorating trasmission and it's problems. I would stay far far away from cobalts. I've had to deal with multiple recalls - due to chevy's incompetence and leading to many people getting in accidents and in some cases, dying. I'm in the process of trying to sell this demon child.

Better than some
By corby weaver

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Clunks under car. Suspension noises at 130k miles. Road noise inside. 33 mpg at 70 mph. Not bad for a basic car. Alarm goes off , heater squeeks,